Hats off to Melvin...

Enjoy Terror

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you kidding me? This guy was the worst clubhouse presence ever! He constantly went to management to complain and no player ever looked up to him. Good riddance. I hope we don't sign him as a coach. He has a major bad attitude.

Melvin had two phases in his career. In the first phase, lasting roughly from 2000 through 2006, he was a totally team-first player. He played every position on the field without complaint for several years, and when he had his best offensive season while primarily playing OF in 2003, he didn't complain at all when he was asked to move to 3B. He was classy when he was grossly underpaid and negotiating his extension. In the winter after the 2005 season, when Miggy demanded to be traded, it was Mora who called him and talked Miggy off the ledge. You'd be very hard pressed to find anything negative Mora said or did during that period.

In his last few years, under Dave Trembley, Mora began to show some attitude, to be sure. Frankly, I thought that some posters blew the episodes (there were probably 5 or 6 over 3 years) out of proportion in the grand scheme of things, but it is undeniable that he said some things he shouldn't have said, and seemed to sulk at times. Still, he played the game hard, he was good to the fans, he worked tirelessly for local charities, and he did have the decency to show up at Elrod's funeral when nobody else could be bothered (though it was easier for him because he lived in Baltimore year-round).

If you step back and consider the entire 9.5 years he played in Baltimore, there was far more good than bad. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Are you kidding me? This guy was the worst clubhouse presence ever! He constantly went to management to complain and no player ever looked up to him. Good riddance. I hope we don't sign him as a coach. He has a major bad attitude.
There's always one.:rolleyestf:

Melvin had two phases in his career. In the first phase, lasting roughly from 2000 through 2006, he was a totally team-first player. He played every position on the field without complaint for several years, and when he had his best offensive season while primarily playing OF in 2003, he didn't complain at all when he was asked to move to 3B. He was classy when he was grossly underpaid and negotiating his extension. In the winter after the 2005 season, when Miggy demanded to be traded, it was Mora who called him and talked Miggy off the ledge. You'd be very hard pressed to find anything negative Mora said or did during that period.

In his last few years, under Dave Trembley, Mora began to show some attitude, to be sure. Frankly, I thought that some posters blew the episodes (there were probably 5 or 6 over 3 years) out of proportion in the grand scheme of things, but it is undeniable that he said some things he shouldn't have said, and seemed to sulk at times. Still, he played the game hard, he was good to the fans, he worked tirelessly for local charities, and he did have the decency to show up at Elrod's funeral when nobody else could be bothered (though it was easier for him because he lived in Baltimore year-round).

If you step back and consider the entire 9.5 years he played in Baltimore, there was far more good than bad. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Well said and I concur.

I can only imagine what my reaction would have been had I played for this organization for years. I didn't like seeing the sulking, but I also don't want people who don't care. If you care, and you're affiliated with the O's over the last 14 years, you have to show your displeasure. To me, it's almost more offensive when you don't.

That being said, he didn't need anything to be given to him like he wanted towards the end of his time here. That did rub me the wrong way. Still, with Melmo, we got more production than we got with just about any other player during his time here. I'll always look back on his play as a small bright spot in an otherwise rotten organiztion.

Awesome stuff, Frobby.

I think Mora hitting the absolute TOP of the foul pole on a home run was one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed.

His retirement is bittersweet for me, I feel bad for a guy like this who had a great career and spent the prime of it on a waste of a franchise like the Orioles. However, as Frobby mentioned, he played hard, was good to the fans and the charities. He was a class act and my memories of him are fond ones.

His 2004 season was awesome, 27 homers, a .340 batting average and he lead the league with a .419 on base percentage. Hitting in front of Tejada that year allowed Miggy to win the RBI title, he was always on base for him.

A few pics I snapped over the years:

643904191_bbfc0b7aaf.jpg

645574108_d74587c4a7.jpg

1228375970_8787f9b588.jpg

2458560820_ed26867bc7.jpg

2457730829_ebc73544bc.jpg

While we're in exaggeration mode can we erase Eddie Murray from Orioles history as well?

What does occasionally complaining about getting more playing time have to do with being a good coach? We should be so lucky to have players like him on the current roster!!!

Archived