Keith Law takes another shot at the O's

ChaosLex

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha. I'd take being a bridesmaid with the Orioles. ;)

I'd take being the alcoholic uncle at the wedding that everyone is afraid will have a few too many and demand to make a speech late in the reception except you can't confront him about it or that will drive him to definitely drink and definitely demand the microphone so you're stuck crossing your fingers that he had a good week at work and is in a festive mood but not TOO festive.

Wait, you guys don't all have uncles like that?

Uhhhh....nevermind (grabs beer).

I'd take being the alcoholic uncle at the wedding that everyone is afraid will have a few too many and demand to make a speech late in the reception except you can't confront him about it or that will drive him to definitely drink and definitely demand the microphone so you're stuck crossing your fingers that he had a good week at work and is in a festive mood but not TOO festive.

Wait, you guys don't all have uncles like that?

Uhhhh....nevermind (grabs beer).

Had a good week then?

Keith Law and his baseball "knowledge" make me laugh.

1) I graduated high school at 5'7 155. I was 6'1 - 205 by the time I was 21. So.....it happens

2) Height of a pitcher and velocity of a fastball matter so much in getting major league hitters out.

Ask Daniel Cabrera how much it helped him........

1) I graduated high school at 5'7 155. I was 6'1 - 205 by the time I was 21. So.....it happens

2) Height of a pitcher and velocity of a fastball matter so much in getting major league hitters out.

Or Randy Johnson. Totally man.

(average height of ML pitchers by team)

You ask Daniel I will ask Randy Johnson.

Also Daniel never would have left the island if he was 5'9".

I usually don't chime in, unless to ask questions about my bud Angle, but this caught my attention.

I do not mean this in a way to toot my own horn but I do some work for ESPN with their ESPNHS area as it relates to amateur baseball and the draft. My latest article was on the benefits of going to college for those mid-to-late draft picks. (It wasn't a counter, but I did it as "the other side" to Churchill's the benefit to draft prep talent).

I have good relationships with area scouts, cross checkers, directors of player developments, VP/overseer of scouting operations. So I have a good grasp on things and when I do not I can easily reach out to someone within various organizations.

I do not mean to be simplistic or minimize the thoughts of others, and to be honest this could have been mentioned somewhere between pages 12-23 which I did not read, but size does matter. Right or wrong it plays a role in the pursuit of a pitcher.

Be it the lack of downward plane for those on the shorter end or the frequent inconsistencies of those on the latter, as well as examining frame type and projecting growth, there is a certain spectrum in which a players build falls that teams are comfortable in investing in.

There is one AL East that refuses to draft what they view as a pitcher with "less-than-ideal" stature. This team would flat-out not pursuit a Dillion Peters, who is 5'11, 190 at my last check.

For my latest, one area scout said it is in the best interest of those shorter players to attend college and prove themselves at that level for three years to basically show they can go against the grain, because chances are, what they were offered out of HS pales in comparison to a player with the same tools, same velo, pitchability etc who may have that build.

I could go on, but those who scoff at the weight placed upon of what the height of a 17-year-old is and how that is viewed I feel would be surprised if that had some talks with people making the decisions.

Now I understand it is one thing for Keith's info if wrong to be discussed, and that there are extreme cases. But if a player truly is 5'9-11 180-190 there just isn't a lot of growth left in that frame, where if he isn't topping 90 now, I can't think of many people that would hold out hope that there is more there. And that is a sentiment ingrained in the minds of many across the board.

Outside of projectability and how the frame will fill out relative to adding velo, one cannot forget the physical maturation that is needed to sustain the rigors of pitching professionally. This is an area in casual scouting/discussion that I honestly feel is not fully appreciated.

A professional baseball season is a grind. One has to have a body that will allow them to pitch at a level well into August some 10-15 pounds less than they entered the season at, on a inconsistent diet and hectic sleep/natural cycle routine. Outside of just height and weight you're now looking at muscle mass, body comp and much more fine details.

I'm sure Stotle can attest to this, but with the new CBA, now more than ever the ability of your amateur scouts is critical. While not a science, there are deep conservations taking place on this area of projectability/body comp/etc that I lightly hit on where people from all sorts of medical and physiological fields have their thoughts provided. From organization to organization there is a belief of what a "big league" body is and where that plays into scouting, acquisition and development.

(I'm not a big message board guy so I'm not sure if all that added anything or was presented the best, but I hope it was worth any read.)

You ask Daniel I will ask Randy Johnson.

Also Daniel never would have left the island if he was 5'9".

Why don't you both ask former NBA power forward and Orioles pitcher Mark Hendrickson with his high 80's fastball and menacing presence.

I usually don't chime in, unless to ask questions about my bud Angle, but this caught my attention.

I do not mean this in a way to toot my own horn but I do some work for ESPN with their ESPNHS area as it relates to amateur baseball and the draft. My latest article was on the benefits of going to college for those mid-to-late draft picks. (It wasn't a counter, but I did it as "the other side" to Churchill's the benefit to draft prep talent).

I have good relationships with area scouts, cross checkers, directors of player developments, VP/overseer of scouting operations. So I have a good grasp on things and when I do not I can easily reach out to someone within various organizations.

I do not mean to be simplistic or minimize the thoughts of others, and to be honest this could have been mentioned somewhere between pages 12-23 which I did not read, but size does matter. Right or wrong it plays a role in the pursuit of a pitcher.

Be it the lack of downward plane for those on the shorter end or the frequent inconsistencies of those on the latter, as well as examining frame type and projecting growth, there is a certain spectrum in which a players build falls that teams are comfortable in investing in.

There is one AL East that refuses to draft what they view as a pitcher with "less-than-ideal" stature. This team would flat-out not pursuit a Dillion Peters, who is 5'11, 190 at my last check.

For my latest, one area scout said it is in the best interest of those shorter players to attend college and prove themselves at that level for three years to basically show they can go against the grain, because chances are, what they were offered out of HS pales in comparison to a player with the same tools, same velo, pitchability etc who may have that build.

I could go on, but those who scoff at the weight placed upon of what the height of a 17-year-old is and how that is viewed I feel would be surprised if that had some talks with people making the decisions.

Now I understand it is one thing for Keith's info if wrong to be discussed, and that there are extreme cases. But if a player truly is 5'9-11 180-190 there just isn't a lot of growth left in that frame, where if he isn't topping 90 now, I can't think of many people that would hold out hope that there is more there. And that is a sentiment ingrained in the minds of many across the board.

Outside of projectability and how the frame will fill out relative to adding velo, one cannot forget the physical maturation that is needed to sustain the rigors of pitching professionally. This is an area in casual scouting/discussion that I honestly feel is not fully appreciated.

A professional baseball season is a grind. One has to have a body that will allow them to pitch at a level well into August some 10-15 pounds less than they entered the season at, on a inconsistent diet and hectic sleep/natural cycle routine. Outside of just height and weight you're now looking at muscle mass, body comp and much more fine details.

I'm sure Stotle can attest to this, but with the new CBA, now more than ever the ability of your amateur scouts is critical. While not a science, there are deep conservations taking place on this area of projectability/body comp/etc that I lightly hit on where people from all sorts of medical and physiological fields have their thoughts provided. From organization to organization there is a belief of what a "big league" body is and where that plays into scouting, acquisition and development.

(I'm not a big message board guy so I'm not sure if all that added anything or was presented the best, but I hope it was worth any read.)

It is obvious that if Law had a tenth of your communication skills this entire thread would probably not exsist. He works in a medium where those skills are important and perhaps he should reach out to you.

In my opinion he lets his personal feelings interfere with his job. The fact that the Orioles made changes to the scouting department should have nothing to do with the assesment of players. I use to follow Law on twitter and read his work. But a few years ago I stopped because I came not to trust his assesments of players.

Nothing to add other than I agree with Chris and he knows his stuff (aside for his love of all things Buckeyes...). Keep up the good work, Mr. Webb.

Archived