Keith Law takes another shot at the O's

ChaosLex

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know enough about why Thomas, Poitevint and Ferreira were available to say whether Law is right or wrong. Clearly, the guys who Law is connected to in the scouting world think these are three great-grandfather types who are 20 years past their prime. Duquette thinks they have a lot of experience and something left in the tank. It is not clear to me who is right and who is wrong. But it would not surprise me if a lot of people in baseball agree with Law.

His other point is that Duquette wasn't particularly successful with his "Asian strategy" while in Boston. I don't know much about what he did there.

I am very pleased with the degree to which Duquette has shaken up the organization, but whether he has picked the right guys remains to be seen.

As to whether the Korean kid turns into a prospect or not, I don't know, but I seriously doubt that he throws 80-83 mph, has no secondaries and the O's gave him $550k, as Law said in his tweet. The O's are not that stupid.

I sat at dinner last night with Duquette at the Sports Boosters banquet and had several personal conversations with him. I'll have more later on some of my impressions, but I really think that Thomas, Poitevint and Ferreira are bridge guys. They are guys who have a history of building organizations and signing major league ball players as amateurs. Remember, when DD took over, a lot of guys already had jobs so he had to find the best that were out there. He choose to bring in guys who like himself, have a long history of building franchises but for whatever reasons have been out of the game for awhile. I seems a little dishonest for people to start throwing accusations around that these guys are great-grandfather types or that they are some old stodgy scout who couldn't tell you what OBP means.

At the end of the day, I think Duquette deserves the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise instead of the scorn being thrown at him from a guy who only wished he had the resume Duquette has.

At the end of the day, I think Duquette deserves the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise instead of the scorn being thrown at him from a guy who only wished he had the resume Duquette has.

Nobody gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the O's. Fairly or unfairly that is the way it is. The organization has earned that.

I sat at dinner last night with Duquette at the Sports Boosters banquet and had several personal conversations with him. I'll have more late on some of my impressions, but I really think that Thomas, Poitevint and Ferreira are bridge guys. They are guys who have a history of building organizations and signing major league ball players as amateurs. Remember, when DD took over, a lot of guys already had jobs so he had to find the best that were out there. He choose to bring in guys who like himself, have a long history of building franchises but for whatever reasons have been out of the game for awhile. I seems a little dishonest for people to start throwing accusations around that these guys are great-grandfather types or that they are some old stodgy scout who couldn't tell you what OBP means.

Yeah I think any problem that was there pre-dates DD coming to this team, and people here (like I have said before this offseason) just assume after all this losing it is because of our team. I completely agree whatever happened in the past is in the past, and people need to judge DD based on the moves he makes here and now (which means no one should be passing judgment this soon because it's too early to know if his moves are right or not.

Do not know anything about the Korean prospect we signed but Keith Law won by getting 22 pages and 327 posts and still counting on a one tweet he put out there. If you hate him then please stop giving his opinion an audience and proving that anyone that can get a following on twitter is an expert.

You know it's: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Which is quite different. But your point remains :D

I think that the same folks who are complaining about DD's foolish signing are the people who complained that Andy MacPhail refused to sign these types of high risk, low reward players.

I think that the same folks who are complaining about DD's foolish signing are the people who complained that Andy MacPhail refused to sign these types of high risk, low reward players.

Hey, other than being the quote police, I'm stayin' the heck out of this thread.:)

Is it the post of the thread if you subtract the last two sentences (that you seem to contradict)?

BTW, I don't really disagree with you here. He may be right. (Though he need not relish our perceived stupidity quite so much.)

For what it's worth, I didn't mean to contradict the last two sentences. I do think Law overstated something in that tweet. I don't discount the possibility that the O's publicized a rosy picture of this prospect, and I don't discount it when he says we're a laughing stock. I also don't write it down as fact.

For what it's worth, I didn't mean to contradict the last two sentences. I do think Law overstated something in that tweet. I don't discount the possibility that the O's publicized a rosy picture of this prospect, and I don't discount it when he says we're a laughing stock. I also don't write it down as fact.

I don't recall seeing this posted anywhere. So just in case you haven't had enough.....

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2012/01/os-kim-sung-min-in-dan-duquettes.html

With respect to the Orioles projection of Sung-min growing a few more inches, Law wrote in a chat:

Predicting body development is a big part of scouts' jobs, although it's usually about a frame filling out more than a player growing three freaking inches after his 18th birthday, which is pretty rare. A scout would also want to meet the parents and see how tall they are, how broad, how heavy, etc. I'm much more comfortable looking at a 17-year-old Tyler Skaggs and telling you he'll add velocity because he's tall and thin with broad shoulders rather than looking at a 17-year-old Jarrod Parker and telling you he'll grow from 6' to 6'3" because I like his fastball.

Archived