Keith Law takes another shot at the O's

ChaosLex

Actually. Law was taking shots at the Orioles because the same disgruntled Five Hundred dollar shoe wearing, daily Golf playing, Pro Scout who he counts among his friends was still complaining about the night of long knives that broke up the party.

Agreed and am somewhat disappointed by those respected posters (based on rep) siding with unfounded wise cracks because regimes of the past losing history. Especially when most of the losing lately is due to under-performance by players the majority of this board was happy with just 2 years ago. And not just them, look at the predictions by Pecota, Bill James etc coming into 2010 and 2011. The players have been blowing it lately.

So you guys seeing his remarks being fueled by an ax to grind seem more likely.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. No one is laughing at them because their scouting department needed improvement. Losing for 14 years in an embarassment; the jokes on the Orioles until they fix it.

And that's what DD is doing from the inside out. I agree that losing for 14 years is an embarrassment and the Orioles have done plenty of things over that span to be ridiculed for. However, it appears what DD is doing now is not the same old same old. He's made major organizational changes in both amateur and international scouting, in player development, and how the Orioles are perceived around the globe by taking fliers on a lot of international talent.

He shouldn't be blamed for his predecessors and although the results remain to be seen, at least he's doing things we haven't seen before. That gives me hope for the first time in a long time.

Law has been harping on DD since he cut loose or minimized some of Law's buddies. His approach is to be snarky about every single signing the Orioles have made while reminding people about his "poor" buddies who were reassigned. Look, this organization has lost for 14 years, no one should have been upset/surprised with being reassigned or let go. I expect more people to be let go after next season after DD has a chance to do a full evaluations and more replacements become available.

DD is the first GM to take on the problems that have rotted this organization to the core and contributed towards it's 14 years of futility. AM talked it but did very little into changing the organization's core and I don't feel the previous GMs had enough power to do so under Angelos.

And that's what DD is doing from the inside out. I agree that losing for 14 years is an embarrassment and the Orioles have done plenty of things over that span to be ridiculed for. However, it appears what DD is doing now is not the same old same old. He's made major organizational changes in both amateur and international scouting, in player development, and how the Orioles are perceived around the globe by taking fliers on a lot of international talent.

He shouldn't be blamed for his predecessors and although the results remain to be seen, at least he's doing things we haven't seen before. That gives me hope for the first time in a long time.

Law has been harping on DD since he cut loose or minimized some of Law's buddies. His approach is to be snarky about every single signing the Orioles have made while reminding people about his "poor" buddies who were reassigned. Look, this organization has lost for 14 years, no one should have been upset/surprised with being reassigned or let go. I expect more people to be let go after next season after DD has a chance to do a full evaluations and more replacements become available.

DD is the first GM to take on the problems that have rotted this organization to the core and contributed towards it's 14 years of futility. AM talked it but did very little into changing the organization's core and I don't feel the previous GMs had enough power to do so under Angelos.

I agree with you in regards to Law. He clearly had an agenda there.

I don't know how encouraged I really am by what DD is doing. It all sounds good but I though AM had a pretty good approach as well. The young arms and bats seemed to have no development issues in the minor leagues at all and they all earned their spots in Baltimore. Somewhere on the short drive between Norfolk and Baltimore, our pitchers went the other way. I'm not saying there aren't issues there but things would look a lot different if one or two guys panned out quicker.

I thought Andy had a good plan and layed a great foundation but just didn't follow through.

My bigger issue is that we are continuing the same fence ridding with the ML roster that we're known for. I just don't see any direction there outside of staying the course. If our pitchers flourish this year, great. I guess I can credit Dan Duquette for hiring Brady Anderson to convince guys that can't get fat in the offseason.

I also don't see any reason why we can't address our scouting and development issues as well as make in roads internationally as well.

1. Law's issues with the O's predated DD or his gutting of the scouting department.

2. Law's issues with the O's are not exclusive to him, but are in fact shared by a good portion of the baseball community. As I relayed back in the fall, when I asked an area scout if he would interview for the scouting director position in Baltimore (when it became clear Jordan was gone) he said, "No way."

3. It's great to see an effort to reshape the process in Baltimore -- I think it's also a sad commentary that any sort of action is being treated as "potentially great" and "game changing" with no basis for judging the actual moves themselves.

How do yo agree with Miller192 and also with Weams, they are articulating opposing arguments.

I almost always agree with Miller. I agree that the Orioles have stunk and for anyone to stop laughing we need to fix things big time and to win more than we lose. I also believe that KLAW is an agenda laden shill.

How do yo agree with Miller192 and also with Weams, they are articulating opposing arguments.

I actually do not think they are opposing arguments, I think they are different topics...I don't think Miller192 is defending Keith Laws and I don't think Weams is attacking the fact that this org gets pummeled by writers.

I guess I thought I was being clear... I think that the team has earned the shots and doubts they take (ala Millers192 Post). I do think the shots they take should be accurate and should not be the result of someone's pal getting "re-assigned" or let go (ala Weams post)

Hope that clears it up. I

I agree with you in regards to Law. He clearly had an agenda there.

I don't know how encouraged I really am by what DD is doing. It all sounds good but I though AM had a pretty good approach as well. The young arms and bats seemed to have no development issues in the minor leagues at all and they all earned their spots in Baltimore. Somewhere on the short drive between Norfolk and Baltimore, our pitchers went the other way. I'm not saying there aren't issues there but things would look a lot different if one or two guys panned out quicker.

I thought Andy had a good plan and layed a great foundation but just didn't follow through.

My bigger issue is that we are continuing the same fence ridding with the ML roster that we're known for. I just don't see any direction there outside of staying the course. If our pitchers flourish this year, great. I guess I can credit Dan Duquette for hiring Brady Anderson to convince guys that can't get fat in the offseason.

I also don't see any reason why we can't address our scouting and development issues as well as make in roads internationally as well.

AM just rearranged the chairs on the titanic. He never went down below to fix the hole in the hull. I'm not sure what people wanted when it came to the major league roster. We really don't have the Bedard or Tejada that will net us some top rated prospects and after 14 years of losing, I don't think the fans or the organization could take a full gutting of the roster for prospects.

DD added solid starter options to give us depth (Chen his longterm upside), improved our bench, and didn't a significant player over the age of 29. He didn't take on bad contracts through trade or free agency and he still can trade guys like Guthrie, Jones or Markakis at the trading deadline to a team that might be willing to part with good young players.

I keep reading about how he didn't upgrade the major league roster yet who could we have gotten that would have been a significant upgrade for long term and wouldn't be a financial drain like Fielder/Pujols/Wilson?

In the end, DD has pushed the team closer to being a .500 team while making major, and I mean major changes in the core of the organization.

1. Law's issues with the O's predated DD or his gutting of the scouting department.

2. Law's issues with the O's are not exclusive to him, but are in fact shared by a good portion of the baseball community. As I relayed back in the fall, when I asked an area scout if he would interview for the scouting director position in Baltimore (when it became clear Jordan was gone) he said, "No way."

Can you elaborate on why this attitude exists, or is it as easy as saying PA is the debbil?

(Not being flip here, just wondering if it all comes directly back to ownership.)

3. It's great to see an effort to reshape the process in Baltimore -- I think it's also a sad commentary that any sort of action is being treated as "potentially great" and "game changing" with no basis for judging the actual moves themselves.

On number 2 WOW just WOW..

As for number 3 I couldn't agree more...The need for change is great but none on here have a clue if these moves are better or worse for the team yet many say those type of things you mentioned.

Or this.

Not much new info, but Encina is a quick reply on Twitter:

EddieInTheYard Eduardo A. Encina

@

@xxxxx Not sure about the $$$, but would be shocked at those figures. Org def wants to make presence in Korea known.

3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

EddieInTheYard Eduardo A. Encina

@

@xxxxx Team source told me he's 5-10, sits in high 80s & has 2 other + pitches (curve, change). Since he's 17, he's def a project.

Before DD came here I would totally agree, but it's obvious by the hires he's brought in that people are willing to work for him and the O's now. Obviously we will so how the new scouting director, player development people, and international scouts work out, but what can't be argued is that DD has put the organization on a different course on how it does it's business. Anything that steers away from the way that led to 14 straight years of losing can't be worse.

Archived