Is Avery redeeming himself in Norfolk?

Enjoy Terror

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=542897

Thanks Xavier, for easily being the most frustrating player in the Orioles minor league. Like clockwork, you follow up a stretch where it looks like it's finally clicking with a 1 for 22 stretch. The Who said it best. I won't be fooled again.

Not really a matter of being fooled again, but it appears he kept the lack of production to a handful of games - .370 obp and .817 OPS last 10 with 8 BBs, 4 XBHx and 5ks.

Still has an Obp near .360 and .775 ops for the season. Pretty good results 135 or so PAs into the season for X-factor.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will expect a little more consistency with Avery if he's able to stick to a level for long. He has not only had to grow his game from a very raw starting point, but he's also had to do so while changing levels.

I hope they don't rush him to Baltimore as a 4th OF. He still has upside, and if his OBP remains high over time, his probabilities of getting close to his upside will improve as well.

It's surprising to me they aren't working him out in left field since that's the unoccupied hole in Baltimore.

Could imply that Jones is on the move (and the reason why he isn't being extended), Avery is on the move in a package, or the O's don't see him as a starter.

It's surprising to me they aren't working him out in left field since that's the unoccupied hole in Baltimore.

Could imply that Jones is on the move (and the reason why he isn't being extended), Avery is on the move in a package, or the O's don't see him as a starter.

More likely, Baltimore (rightly) doesn't see any way he should get MLB playing time this year, so there is no reason to start making those changes.

Not to mention, CF is the most demanding OF position, and LF probably the least; so if he is able to man center, it is a reasonable expectation that he could make the shift over without any resistance.

Avery did play left field last night. Interesting to see if that continues.

Avery's greatest value is in CF and he should spend most of his time there, IMO.

Another no K night tonight with an xbh. Avery is at 5 xbh, 7 BBs and 5 Ks last 10 while streching his K/PA ratio to 1/9.

(Manny is at triple sixes - 6 xbh, 6 Ks and 6 BBs last 10 games.)

Boy, he sure does seem like he's some kind of streaky. Some overall encouraging signs though. Have to like the 4 HRs already, more walks, and he's stolen 8 bases without being caught. Each of those is important for his continued development.

Overall, a pretty solid start for a young player at AAA for the first time. Be interesting to see how he adjusts throughout the year.

I guess it will be interesting to see if the X-man can stay hot up north. Congrats Xavier, all eyes on you.

X has been one of the nicest stories of the minor league season so far. His new found plate discipline to go along with a sudden power surge is pretty amazing. He was a left fielder in high school so it shouldn't be completely new to him not to mention he's played some in the minors as well. I'm happy for him and I hope he keeps it up. I'm looking forward to seeing him because I want to see the difference in what he's doing this year compared to years' past.

Archived