Dontrelle Willis walks out on the Orioles without permission

paulcoates

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dontrelle's agent pretty much slams Duquette in Roch's new post. Who knows what happened, but who's got the worse track record here: the O's or Willis' AGENT?

I think it is obvious. The Agent told Dontrelle that he had a commitment that he did not have. He is attempting to use the press to get it for him anyway. An old trick. And it usually works.

I guess that's possible, who knows? In these situations, my first instinct is "the O's screwed something up" because they usually have. But I suppose the agent could have screwed up. I dunno.. DD just has a funky track record with this stuff. I like what he's done on the whole, but this kind of stuff is suchttp://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2732487h a distraction.

This is not on Dan Duquette. It might be on a Stockstill. But not Dan.

That certainly sounds plausible. It gets me so riled up because it's just another easy way to burn the O's if you're a sports journalist or a Keith Law type. It's just always something, man. Just quietly win games and stop tripping over yourself in the national spotlight... gah!

Word...

This is not on Dan Duquette. It might be on a Stockstill. But not Dan.

I think this is definitely on Duquette. If someone in the organization told Willis that he would be granted his release, Duquette needs to honor that, even if that person didn't have the authority to make that promise.

I think this is definitely on Duquette. If someone in the organization told Willis that he would be granted his release, Duquette needs to honor that, even if that person didn't have the authority to make that promise.

Uh, no he doesn't. The only one that should make that promise in the first place is the guy who gives him the paychecks, and who stipulates contract in the first place. That seems like DD's job, and he doesn't have to honor any kind of backdoor deal that he didn't approve. I think you're reaching here, as I don't many bosses in the world who would feel the way you do about it.

"He just left,'' said Duquette when confronted with the information from other sources.

Duquette said he is hopeful Willis returns soon because the team believes he can be a successful reliever. Many scouts say Willis' success against left-handed hitters makes him a natural for a lefty relief role. Duquette said they explained their plan to use him as a reliever upon signing him to a minor-league deal but when they asked him to "piggyback'' (or follow) a starter in Triple-A Norfolk to get innings, Willis stated his preference was to go to extended spring training to work on becoming a starter again.

Willis' agent Matt Sosnick agreed that there was a difference of a opinion and said Willis had asked for his release. Willis was released in spring by the Phillies.

Duquette said they don't want to release Willis because they believe he can help them in the bullpen.

"I just think he needs a little more experience doing it,'' Duquette said. "All we wanted him to do is pitch, and pitch in competition.''

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/18790420/willis-said-to-leave-team-wo-permission-duquette-still-wants-him-for-pen

Willis

I talked to Dan personally, as far as the position I'm in, pitching in relief and giving it a shot and thought we were both clear on that. I talked to my representative and talked to one of the reps from Baltimore, as far as granting my release, and then all of a sudden I'm hearing I'm on the restricted list.

I talked to Dan about trying this relief thing. I don't like it. I told my agent I wanted a release. Some guy with an Oriole shirt said I could probably get one.

Uh, no he doesn't. The only one that should make that promise in the first place is the guy who gives him the paychecks, and who stipulates contract in the first place. That seems like DD's job, and he doesn't have to honor any kind of backdoor deal that he didn't approve. I think you're reaching here, as I don't many bosses in the world who would feel the way you do about it.

Well, I guess if you don't care about the Orioles being seen as a good organization that quality minor-league free agents would want to sign with, then fine, DD can break that promise. But if you do care about those things, he should grant Dontrelle his release if someone in the organization did in fact promise him that. Really, this is such a minor issue that there's no reason to further injure the Orioles' reputation as an organization with players. If what Willis' agent is saying is correct and someone employed by the organization made a promise to him that they didn't have the authority to make, the employee should be the one who gets punished for it, not Willis.

Dontrelle has been approached by other clubs in an "unofficial" capacity. He thinks he prefers the opportunity afforded him elswhere. He wishes he were not under contract. Read Roch

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Archived