Chris Davis

theobird

I have a pretty good feeling about Chris Davis. I am really excited about this guy and very happy to have what I consider a true 1st baseman on this team. He has been getting a lot of slack on here, but I disagree with those who don't think Davis is the answer for us at 1st base. My eyes tell me he is above average with the glove and his ceiling at the plate is sky high. I really can't believe the talent that AM fleeced the Rangers out of, but that goes to show you just how deep the Ranger system is.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sold on him, I don't like his approach at all. He doesn't seem to look for his pitch at all, just starts swinging at whatever. Looks good so far, but I'm waiting a few months before I start thinking it's legit

Count me as not sold as well, although it was encouraging that he hit his homerun against a left hander off a breaking ball. I was reading an article about Albert Pujols' poor start and it mentioned in it that Chris Davis has one of the worst averages against breaking balls. At this point though, I just wish we could find players that can field!

He seems to have made an adjustment. He was getting nothing but breaking balls. He looks like he has been waiting and going to LF with them. If they miss middle in, like tonight, fugettaboudit. He make better contact than Reynolds, and doesn't K quite as much, and has taken a couple of walks lately. All encouraging signs, but my jury is still out. I don't think he is as bad a defender as some, and I think he would have at least knocked down that "3B" hit tonight.

If he hits .265 with 25 HR and plays average defense, he'll be the best O's 1B in recent memory.

I'm not sold on the idea that he'll bat .300 all season, but he's been perfectly fine thus far.

Agreed. What are some of our fans expecting from him, Albert Pujols circa 2003?? He's the best option we have at 1b and so far he has been hitting with ZERO protection behind him in the lineup. I'm more than pleased with what he has given us so far. I'd take it all season long in fact, if we can get it.

I feel like he hits accidental home runs. His swing isn't very pretty, he's sort of a big, awkward guy, the ball seems lazy coming off his bat, and then it goes 420 feet.

It's actually pretty awesome, I feel like I'm watching Boog Powell, or at least Boog Powell's cousin.

Agreed. What are some of our fans expecting from him' date=' Albert Pujols circa 2003?? He's the best option we have at 1b and so far he has been hitting with ZERO protection behind him in the lineup. I'm more than pleased with what he has given us so far. I'd take it all season long in fact, if we can get it.[/quote']

ZERO protection wow !! Isn't protection in front of you? Wouldn't he be protecting the guy behind him? I'm confused.

ZERO protection wow !! Isn't protection in front of you? Wouldn't he be protecting the guy behind him? I'm confused.

It can be both in my opinion. If you have someone like Nick Johnson batting behind you and no one on base, do you honestly think Davis is going to see the types of pitches he would if say, Wieters or Jones was batting behind him?

It can be both in my opinion. If you have someone like Nick Johnson batting behind you and no one on base' date=' do you honestly think Davis is going to see the types of pitches he would if say, Wieters or Jones was batting behind him?[/quote']

For the most part, yeah. We're not talking Barry Bonds here. Its' one or the other. It makes zero sense that a poor batter behind you would allow you to see better pitches and the concept itself has been shown to be nonsense. Good batters that are pitched around take walks. If Davis is pitched around to get to Johnson then Davis can take a walk.

For the most part, yeah. We're not talking Barry Bonds here. Its' one or the other. It makes zero sense that a poor batter behind you would allow you to see better pitches and the concept itself has been shown to be nonsense. Good batters that are pitched around take walks. If Davis is pitched around to get to Johnson then Davis can take a walk.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=1042

I linked this article because I wanted something to back up that it's usually the guy behind that protects. However, as the piece states, largely a myth. Could be for any number of reasons.

Archived