vs. INDIANS 6/30

OFFNY

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Is Rich Hill an option? I believe he was looking to sign with someone mid year. Would we consider him?
    • They bring them up because we need to have guys on the bench available to pinch hit, pinch run, substitute for injured players, or give somebody a rest.   It's not a matter of not believing in them.  Some will get chances to start and some won't.   Just because a guy is starting every day in AAA doesn't mean he should get a chance to start every day (or even most to the time) in the majors.
    • My source for the dates of the options is the Orioles.com transactions page.  I'm going to retract what I said about the 20 day rule, as I had misremembered it.  What it actually says is:  "If a Player is optionally assigned for a total of less than 20 days in one championship season, the Player shall be credited with Major League service during the period of such optional assignment(s); provided, however, that a Player shall not be credited with Major League service under this provision if the Player had zero days of Major League serv ice in the current season prior to the optional assignment and after the optional assignment was unconditionally released or assigned outright and not subsequently added to the Active List for the remainder of the championship season." So forget what I said about that.  Now, what I am not sure about is whether Vespi's recall to be the 27th man in St. Louis due to the suspended game counts towards his option total.   The answer to that isn't found in the CBA, but in a document called "Major League Rules" that used to be public, but apparently no longer is.   I am not talking about the document that describes the rules of play, but another document that contains, for example, the details of the "Rule 4 draft" and the "Rule 5 draft."
    • And is it fair to say 10-15 runs equates to about 1 to 1.5 wins? (Again, that's in a worst-order scenario.)
    • It’s a definite probable no for me. I don’t say that to split hairs.  So let me explain.    There is no way that the Orioles come out on an investment like the one it will take to extend Burnes. But would I, given his age and the likelihood of injury?  No.    Unless….I was prepared to spend twice that or more to land another pitcher on top of Burnes. The idea being if you’re in you’re in.    I cannot speak to the finances of the new ownership but the only way I would purchase someone like Burnes would be to buy 2 in hopes of having one. While still knowing the advantage if you have both and the risks of both are hurt.    Could the Orioles afford $600M? I don’t know.  Should any team?  No. But we live in a world where the Dodgers are spending Billions. 
    • I just wanna know why we bring up guys who play every day at AAA only to ride thd bench up here. Give these guys a chance like they the did with Holliday and if they suck send them down. At this point they're wasting the careers of guys like Stowers and Kjerstad. If you dot believe in them, trade them for pitching.
    • So what happens when the O's sign Burnes to a 8/300 deal, then Gunnar and Adley each want 10/250 to extend, then eventually you have to pay Westburg and Cowser, and everyone is going to want Holliday here through 2040, and you look up and the O's still have 30-40% of the revenues of the Yanks and Dodgers but the fans want them to have 80% of their payrolls? Oh, and then Burnes tears his UCL and misses 18 months and then has another half year where he's not the same, and then before you know it he's 35.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now