Orioles are "going hard" after Zack Greinke

Greg

Kind of how I feel here. But I would honestly be shocked that MIL would move him for lesser pieces than those two. This guy is the best pitcher in the league right now.

I mean if we can fleece, then fleece

Let me also say, that I'm not in favor of the trade in general. I would be surprised if the O's were not required to put in either Bundy or Machado in the deal. However, if that situation arises and Duq has to give up 5 pieces surrounding Schoop, Avery, Britton, Mtusz, etc. I'm still against it. Like people have been saying, this team is wayyyyyyyyy too flawed to be making moves like this.

Like I said if we can get a fleece, then lets fleece them. There have been crazy boneheaded trades before

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Braves, Orioles could be the biggest players in Greinke trade market

By Jon Heyman | Baseball Insider

July 6, 2012 4:35 pm ET

The Baltimore Orioles will make a run at Brewers star Zack Greinke, sources say, and some now believe the Orioles and Atlanta Braves loom as the most likely to land Greinke in trade.

Of course, it's very early, so early Greinke isn't even known to be available yet. The Brewers were said by a source likely to wait to see how they fair against division competition in the games following the All-Star break before deciding whether to sell.

The Brewers are believed to have already received several calls on the free-agent-to-be Greinke, who is 9-2 with a 3.08 ERA, and it is believed that at least the Braves and Orioles will be major players.

The Braves have made sense since their rotation is now missing Brandon Beachy, Atlanta is known to like Greinke and the pitcher is believed to have an interest in them, as well, as was written here a few days ago. The Orioles also make sense, as unexpected contenders disappointed to have seen young starters Jake Arrieta, Tommy Hunter and Brian Matusz be demoted to Triple-A Norfolk in recent days. The Baltimore Sun also said the Orioles are expected to show interest in Greinke.

Greinke is one of the most talented pitchers in baseball, but is believed a coiple of the biggest markets, such as the Yankees and Red Sox, will hesitate to trade for him because of his personal history.

"Well, Dylan Bundy was just named the top prospect in the minor leagues yesterday and Manny was identified as No. 9. They look like they could be long-term solutions for the Orioles," said Duquette.

So does that mean you are telling other teams they are not available?

"Like I said, they look to be long-term solutions to help the Orioles,"

I'm not convinced yet that Duquette isn't dumb enough to give up Machado or Bundy. There's no way giving up Lino was necessary to get Thome. I hope he doesn't give up Schoop or one of the young pitchers for a rental pitcher either unless there's a contract extension in place.

My only fear about Greinke is his make-up. It will take alot to get a guy that for some reason can't get it together on the road and would scare me if we sent him to the mound in Yankee Stadium in October.

Who cares if he can't "put it together on the road" if his overall production is outstanding? We have to get to the playoffs first before worrying about a matchup with the Yankees, and Greinke will go a long way towards getting us there.

I'm not convinced yet that Duquette isn't dumb enough to give up Machado or Bundy. There's no way giving up Lino was necessary to get Thome. I hope he doesn't give up Schoop or one of the young pitchers for a rental pitcher either unless there's a contract extension in place.

It will be interesting to see what the board would think of DD if a deal like this went down. I'd think that most would be vehemently against it and him being the GM.

However, if he picks him up, O's get to the playoffs, then it'll be extra interesting what people think of DD going into the offseason. Probably a lot of people saying he got lucky

Disclaimer: All Hypothetical

It will be interesting to see what the board would think of DD if a deal like this went down. I'd think that most would be vehemently against it and him being the GM.

However, if he picks him up, O's get to the playoffs, then it'll be extra interesting what people think of DD going into the offseason. Probably a lot of people saying he got lucky

Disclaimer: All Hypothetical

Unless the O's win the World Series this year, people will be outraged if Duquette gives up Machado or Bundy. Personally, I hate the "go all-in" attitude that teams and fans have when they're in contention this late in the year. I'd much rather watch Duquette slowly build up the organization and put together a team that is perennially a contender.

The Kranitz connection makes this interesting. Matusz and Arrieta pitched weel for him, and he knows them. One of them commbined with two of Avery/Schoop/Bridwell/Hoes/Wright, might get it done. I would hate to part with Britton or Tillman.

The Kranitz connection makes this interesting. Matusz and Arrieta pitched weel for him, and he knows them. One of them commbined with two of Avery/Schoop/Bridwell/Hoes/Wright, might get it done. I would hate to part with Britton or Tillman.

I would give them two of that group if they don't take Schoop.

Who cares if he can't "put it together on the road" if his overall production is outstanding? We have to get to the playoffs first before worrying about a matchup with the Yankees, and Greinke will go a long way towards getting us there.

Um... I care about his performance on the road because that is where he will pitch half his games?

Archived