LJ Hoes - Untouchable in my book!

Flacco Machado

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not only is he not untouchable, it would not be surprising to me if he's not one of Duquette's trading chips. He could be a starter on a lower echelon team in my opinion though he's probably ultimately destined to be a 4th outfielder type due to his lack of power as a corner outfielder.

I think the bolded part says the opposite of what you meant to say. One of those "not's" needs to go.

I'd love to find a way of getting him 100 PA in the big leagues before we decide whether to keep him or trade him. But I don't see that happens unless someone gets hurt.

I think the bolded part says the opposite of what you meant to say. One of those "not's" needs to go.

I'd love to find a way of getting him 100 PA in the big leagues before we decide whether to keep him or trade him. But I don't see that happens unless someone gets hurt.

If it was up to me, I would replace Henry with Hoes immediately. A high wOBA and high P/PA is exactly the little extra nitro injection our offense could use right now.

FREE L.J. Hoes!

The thing i don't get is that when you read the thread we need a guy that can get on base not someone like Soriano that is just an all or nothing guy but doesn't get on base. Yet when the mention of Hoes is brought up it is he doesn't have the power and just his obA will not help. So which is it we want a guy with power and no on base percentage or a guy with not much power and a high on base. You are not going to get a player with both of those. Let Hoes come up put him in the 8 or 9 spot and let him get on base in from of Nate and Manny. With LJ, Brian Nate and Manny we wil be seeing doubles all over the place in front of the big boys.

I see Hoes as a poor man's Markakis. I like Hoes and was surprised that he wasn't called up with Urrutia as the RH bat. But IMO, he does lack the tools to make him an impact player.

I agree he is notgoing to be a big impact hitter but with the team we have we don't need him to be. He would most likely still be the worst hitter on the team but with the guys around him he just has to be decent and get on base the other guys can do the rest.

Nick doesnt have power and doesnt steal bases.

I guess the 125 home runs he has hit have been missed by you. Nick hit 5 home runs in the 134 at bats he had at AA. 12 in the 350 he had at Frederick.

Hoes 6 homers in 586 at bats at Frederick. 8 in 631 at bats at AA. So Nick had much more power at the same levels.

And Nick is not untouchable (or at least, shouldn't be). And you know he's my favorite player on the team.

I think both Nick and BRob are very close to untouchable, PA is fond of them both. I will be surprised if either wear another uniform except by choice.

Actually I think he makes Avery very expendable.

Avery is not even close to being the "next man up" by any sense of the phrase. It's not Hoes that makes Avery expendable; it's Hoes, it's Urrutia, it's Thames, it's even Robinson and Hudson. I like that Avery is a speedy 23 year old in Norfolk, but he's never been able to hit, and I'm not sure it's clear that he's much of a fielder either.

Hoes seems to quickly be on his way to becoming a player whose flaws are obsessed over, at the expense of things he does well. He does enough well to help this ball club. If Valencia keeps struggling then it should be next man up.

I see Hoes as a poor man's Markakis. I like Hoes and was surprised that he wasn't called up with Urrutia as the RH bat. But IMO, he does lack the tools to make him an impact player.

How are you defining "impact player?" I sometimes think we sell short the value of Hoes' OBP skills. In more than a full season of AAA, he has hit .305/.390/.404. Let's suppose that translates to .285/.360/.370. By the way, I think that's conservative, considering that Hoes' 2013 numbers are better than the numbers I cited.

I think a player like that has some pretty significant value. That is basically the slash line of Norichika Aoki of the Brewers this year, and translates to a wOBA of about .326 -- higher than what Markakis, Hardy and Wieters are producing among our top 7 hitters. .326 wOBA is exactly average for the Orioles outfielders this year, and a little above the league median.

In short, chicks love the long ball, but getting on base a lot is a highly underrated skill. So, if Hoes' skill translates at the major league level, he will have a positive impact and a good major league career, IMO. And at 23, he still has room to keep getting better.

Archived