Possible Tejada scenario?

Sports Guy

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, your solution is to sign a bunch of 35+ year old players, mediocre/average starters and a hitter in Carlos Lee who we will be lucky to get a 820 OPS out of in 3 years, who can't play the field and is always out of shape?

Yea, i will pass.

Sounds like a pretty familiar plan doesn't it.

So, your solution is to sign a bunch of 35+ year old players, mediocre/average starters and a hitter in Carlos Lee who we will be lucky to get a 820 OPS out of in 3 years, who can't play the field and is always out of shape?

Yea, i will pass.

Hmm.. seems to me you were hot on Ensberg and Burrell? So your only beef should be whether Thomas/Sheffield signed for a year is a better option than keeping Gibbons. Ok, tha's a fair point and I'm open to a different solution... as to CLee, I prefer ARam but dont think he will be an option, so, since we need a power bat and Soriano isn't alikely choice, yes I'll gamble with Lee. And I suppose the alternative is to trade Tejada to the Angels for a possibility that in 2-3 years we might be able to compete. No thank you, I'll pass.

Hmm.. seems to me you were hot on Ensberg and Burrell? So your only beef should be whether Thomas/Sheffield signed for a year is a better optin than keeping Gibbons. Ok, tha's a fair point and I'm open to a different solution... as to CLee, I prefer ARam but dont think he will be an option, so, since we need a power bat and Soriano isn't alikely choice, yes I'll gamble with Lee. And I suppose the alternative is to trade Tejada to the Angels for a possibility that in 2-3 years we might be able to compete. No thank you, I'll pass.

If we traded Tejada for Santana we would be upgrading our Pitching tremendously.

Look at the Tigers now they don't have anyone on there roster that's as good as Tejada. Yet they are looking like the team to beat.

Why?

Because of there pitching. They have great young pitching. Santana would instantly upgrade our rotation.

Hmm.. seems to me you were hot on Ensberg and Burrell? So your only beef should be whether Thomas/Sheffield signed for a year is a better option than keeping Gibbons. Ok, tha's a fair point and I'm open to a different solution... as to CLee, I prefer ARam but dont think he will be an option, so, since we need a power bat and Soriano isn't alikely choice, yes I'll gamble with Lee. And I suppose the alternative is to trade Tejada to the Angels for a possibility that in 2-3 years we might be able to compete. No thank you, I'll pass.

Again, you don't seem to get that you can trade Tejada and stil compete NEXT YEAR!

If we traded Tejada for Santana we would be upgrading our Pitching tremendously.

Look at the Tigers now they don't have anyone on there roster that's as good as Tejada. Yet they are looking like the team to beat.

Why?

Because of there pitching. They have great young pitching. Santana would instantly upgrade our rotation.

I think you can look at the Tigers and Twins and perhaps the Yankees and determine that IF you have superior pitching, you have a good possibility to succeed. But even adding Santana or Lackey will require that Bedard, Cabrera, Loewen, etc have remarkably improved seasons in order for us to be in the hunt. If you are willing to make that accessment that they will make that improvement, then I don't think you need to trade Tejada to get Santana etc... my only caveat is if the FO actually tries to add some quality players and just comes up short, then I would be for the rebuilding plan starting with trading Tejada.

Trade for Huber/Shealy/Kotchman/Carter/Duncan at 1B

All of these guys show some promise and would be cheap

Sign CLee $13-15 mil for LF or Trade for Ensberg and put Mora in LF

Have to add a big bat and OBP

Trade for Burrell for DH, if he will not come sign Sheffield/Thomas or platton Marrero/Gibbons

Again, a power bat with OBP

Sign Mussina if 2@20 will get him, If we get Mussina, sign one of Lilly/Meche/Padilla/Armas Jr/Estes w/o Mussina, sign 2.

Use extra pitching after FA signings to get Burrell, Ensberg, and Huber/Shealy/Kotchman/Carter/Duncan

Depending on whether Benson and Gibbons are part of trades, that would be adding between $30-40 mil in payroll. And we would having something like:

2b Roberts

Rf Markakis

ss Tejada

LF Lee

C Hernandez

3b Mora

dh Burrell/ Gibbons/Marrero Sheffield/Thomas

1b Huber/Shealy/Kotchman/Carter/Duncan

cf CPat

Or

2b Roberts

Rf Markakis

SS Tejada

DH Burrell/ Gibbons/Marrero Sheffield/Thomas

3b Ensberg

1b Huber/Shealy/Kotchman/Carter/Duncan

C Hernandez

Lf Mora

Cf CPat

Bedard

Mussina

Benson/Lilly/Meche/Padilla/Armas Jr/Estes

DCab

Loewen

Or

Bedard

DCab

Loewen

That team would be a lot better than the one now but I don't think it's enough to go to the playoffs in 2007 and depending on how many years you have to give to the Sheffield types you very well might have us in worse shape than we are now for 2008 and beyond. If Lee gets 5 years as many expect, you've also saddled us with an albatross of a contract. Very painful when you combine it with what looks like might turn out to be a bad contract for Mora. A double whammy if you will.

I do like the idea of going after Ensberg and Burrell though. Definately moves I would pursue.

my only caveat is if the FO actually tries to add some quality players and just comes up short, then I would be for the rebuilding plan starting with trading Tejada.

The problem is not a lot of quality players are out there to add.

So rather than patch a hole in the wall with crap, why not rebuild the wall in the first place.

We've been patching for a while now.

That team would be a lot better than the one now but I don't think it's enough to go to the playoffs in 2007 and depending on how many years you have to give to the Sheffield types you very well might have us in worse shape than we are now for 2008 and beyond.

I do like the idea of going after Ensberg and Burrell though. Definately moves I would pursue.

The thing that makes guys like Ensberg and Burrell really appealing is that they have things around them that would allow us to get them for cheap.

Well, I haven't seen anything proposed that would lead to me to believe that.

It would be hard no doubt but the Tigers and Marlins are good examples of players plugging young talented players into the mix and getting great results.

Also think back to how the 1989 Orioles competed. When you get younger and better defensively good things can happen.

That team would be a lot better than the one now but I don't think it's enough to go to the playoffs in 2007 and depending on how many years you have to give to the Sheffield types you very well might have us in worse shape than we are now for 2008 and beyond. If Lee gets 5 years as many expect, you've also saddled us with an albatross of a contract. Very painful when you combine it with what looks like might turn out to be a bad contract for Mora. A double whammy if you will.

Show me your options...

Archived