Nick bunted on his own

eddie83

I'm sure Markakis is fully aware that he's been swinging a hot bat since coming back from the DL. IIRC, he singled in his first at bat. There's no need to take the bat out of his hands and put it in Hardy's.

It was just a mind boggling decision whoever made it. And it cost us this game. Probably put us into a funk too.

He is 2 for his last 21. 3 for 24 on the homestnd. Still think that is a hot bat in the past 7 days?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not quite sure how Babe Ruth is relevant here.

Which scenario sounds more appealing: Markakis batting with nobody out and runners on 1st and 2nd? Or JJ Hardy (currently in a battle with Reynolds for lowest batting average on the team) batting with runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out?

Answer seems pretty obvious to me.

Anyway, doesn't matter. I'm sure we're all happy tonight...

He is 2 for his last 21. 3 for 24 on the homestnd. Still think that is a hot bat in the past 7 days?

Beats Hardy's numbers.

Look, it's pretty clear Nick is not a professional buntist. He's not Endy Chavez, he's paid to hit the ball. And he does it pretty well. I'd like to have seen him do that tonight.

Which scenario sounds more appealing: Markakis batting with nobody out and runners on 1st and 2nd? Or JJ Hardy (currently in a battle with Reynolds for lowest batting average on the team) batting with runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out?

Answer seems pretty obvious to me.

Anyway, doesn't matter. I'm sure we're all happy tonight...

Still not quite sure about Babe Ruth's relevance since Nick Markakis was batting. It wasn't a good decision we all know that but Nick was only trying to help the team. He screwed up it happens. Move on.

Ok...? Thanks for the compliment. :D

The point remains: you don't have Babe Ruth bunt with nobody out and two on. Perhaps Markakis didn't make that call, but whoever did really needs to think.

I dont think you can ever say Markakis and Babe Ruth are even remotely comparable. That said Nick has embraced the leadoff role. He hasnt been a hot hitter lately and I dont care who called it ...If it works you'd say it was a great call. If it doesnt then you overreact.

Beats Hardy's numbers.

Look, it's pretty clear Nick is not a professional buntist. He's not Endy Chavez, he's paid to hit the ball. And he does it pretty well. I'd like to have seen him do that tonight.

Actually Hardy is 3 for 23. Not much of a statistical difference. However, don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

Beats Hardy's numbers.

So would the rest of us. But everyone in the game threads blaming Buck, and even after the man himself says it was Nicks choice, well, sometimes even smart players make boneheaded moves. We lost, just move on. Lots more ball to play in the weeks ahead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I dont think you can ever say Markakis and Babe Ruth are even remotely comparable. That said Nick has embraced the leadoff role. He hasnt been a hot hitter lately and I dont care who called it ...If it works you'd say it was a great call. If it doesnt then you overreact.
Still not quite sure about Babe Ruth's relevance since Nick Markakis was batting. It wasn't a good decision we all know that but Nick was only trying to help the team. He screwed up it happens. Move on.

Exaggeration comparing Nick and Ruth? Yes. But Nick and Adam are the two best hitters on this team (arguably by far unless/until Manny develops) those two shouldn't be bunting unless it's some kind of dire situation.

So would the rest of us. But everyone in the game threads blaming Buck, and even after the man himself says it was Nicks choice, well, sometimes even smart players make boneheaded moves. We lost, just move on. Lots more ball to play in the weeks ahead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Against any other team but the Red Sox, I'd probably let it slide. That and if this game was 10-3. Which I really wish it had been.

Although, this year Buccholtz has owned us. So maybe it was meant to be.

Against any other team but the Red Sox, I'd probably let it slide. That and if this game was 10-3. Which I really wish it had been.

It's also a fools errand to assume that a huge inning would have most certainly happened. Runners on 1st and 2nd, if Nick grounds into a DP, then we have a man at 3rd with Hardy up who hits a single scoring one run. The next batter makes an out, the inning is over with one run scored. Way too many variables to say with complete certainty that we played ourselves out of a big inning.

Exaggeration comparing Nick and Ruth? Yes. But Nick and Adam are the two best hitters on this team (arguably by far unless/until Manny develops) those two shouldn't be bunting unless it's some kind of dire situation.

It's like comparing a chop steak (Hamburger) to Filet Mignon. Ruth is considered by many the greatest homerun hitter ever.

Markakis is on a pace to hit around 320 Home runs compared to Ruth's 714. I'd say the comparison is not just a exaggeration ...But so absurd that you completely lost all credibility making it.

The rest of this is just colored bubbles....Nick or Buck took a shot that didnt pay off PERIOD! It didnt work this time and I doubt you'd see them try it again. We lost the game ... and youre not going to win them all.

Against any other team but the whomever we lost to tonight, I'd probably let it slide. That and if this game was 10-3. Which I really wish it had been.

Fixed it for you ...Because I truly believe you wouldve overreacted no matter who we lost to.

The rest of this is just colored bubbles....Nick or Buck took a shot that didnt pay off PERIOD! It didnt work this time and I doubt you'd see them try it again. We lost the game ... and youre not going to win them all.

We won't win any against Buccholttz or Lesster (and never will). As long as we avoid those two we'll be ok I guess.

Archived