Am I the only one who really likes Flaherty?

joedogg9999

If you want to pick on his range, hands, arm, or pivot on the DP, that's fine but to make mention of that play yesterday as some kind of indictment on his defense is kind of silly. From the eye test I'd say that his range is probably average at best but I haven't seen anything really deficient from Flaherty at 2B.
You could lump that particular fiasco , turning an inning ending double play into a 2 run comeback , on poor "instincts". Later he scored a fielders choice when he could have gotten a double play, IMO.

He's not reliable enough out there, in a critical defensive position, and with his limited range, IMO he would have to hit like Joe Morgan to justify him playing every day.. just think.. he had a great day at the plate yesterday but his play overall was a wash, game wise. Andino strikes out a lot and hits only on occasion but he wont hurt you on the field, most days.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could lump that particular fiasco , turning an inning ending double play into a 2 run comeback , on poor "instincts". Later he scored a fielders choice when he could have gotten a double play, IMO.

He's not reliable enough out there, in a critical defensive position, and with his limited range, IMO he would have to hit like Joe Morgan to justify him playing every day.. just think.. he had a great day at the plate yesterday but his play overall was a wash, game wise. Andino strikes out a lot and hits only on occasion but he wont hurt you on the field, most days.

Jake Arrieta was the cause of the poor play at second. He does not defend his position. He was the one who could have gotten the double play.

A couple years ago people where whining about how horrible Andino was in the field and that he lacked instincts. Flaherty doesn't have the physical skills Andino does, but I think he'll be fine at second base. If he's going to start, then he needs to play there regualarly instead of bouncing around the IF/OF etc. Basically the O's need to make up their mind if he's a starter or a utility guy.

Hard to believe they would have kept him on the roster all year if they thought he was a utility guy.

A couple years ago people where whining about how horrible Andino was in the field and that he lacked instincts. Flaherty doesn't have the physical skills Andino does, but I think he'll be fine at second base. If he's going to start, then he needs to play there regualarly instead of bouncing around the IF/OF etc. Basically the O's need to make up their mind if he's a starter or a utility guy.

Hard to believe they would have kept him on the roster all year if they thought he was a utility guy.

I think initially they liked his versatility and they saw potential growth in his hitting skill set. I think they also figured eventually he could find a position where he could play every day, a la Melvin Mora..Unfortunately, having seen him play at third and OF as well, I think his future is as a 25th man utility guy, at best. I suspect Showalter may agree; he hardly plays these days.

I think initially they liked his versatility and they saw potential growth in his hitting skill set. I think they also figured eventually he could find a position where he could play every day, a la Melvin Mora..Unfortunately, having seen him play at third and OF as well, I think his future is as a 25th man utility guy, at best. I suspect Showalter may agree; he hardly plays these days.

I think he "hardly plays these days" because he values Andino over Flaherty at second base at this point. It would be relatively insane to endure the pain they did this season to keep a "utility guy" on the roster for as long as they did. It appears to me Flaherty has the skills to be a viable starting second baseman (and possibly a third baseman) from what I've seen and from his Mil track record. We'll have to disagree.

3rd K today. But the thing is, thats a typical day for andino.

Why would you think a factually inaccurate post such as that would be appropriate for a board like this? If you want to spout stuff I consider nonsense go right ahead but can you at least post at a level consistent with the rest of the board?

Hmmm.... well.... I'm less skeptical about his ability to perform at the major league level, than I was 20 minutes ago, is that close enough to the same thing? :P

He certainly is no defensive wizard at second, but you want to question what this front office and management sees in a player's future ;)

Archived