If the O's only sign their own, how many wins in 2013?

wildcard

Let's say the O's sign McLouth and Saunders but stay with the rest of the team. They go with Roberts, Flaherty, Andino and at some point Schoop at 2nd. They start the year with Tillman, Gonzalez, Saunders, Machado, McLouth, Reimold and Wada. They have a normal number of injuries (what ever that is). They sign some players to minor league contracts for depth.

What do you think their record would be at the end of the year?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess they would finish up close to. 500. There could be a swing in either direction of a few games.

As much as I enjoyed watching them play this year it will be hard to duplicate what they achieved in 2012. The biggest problem for me is the fact that this team is getting really expensive and they may not be good enough to get to the next level.

I'm not sure there's much room to grow here. I hope I'm wrong, but they really set the bar high for themselves.

85 wins would be fair with our roster for next year I think. Wouldn't be surprised at all with 90 but I'm not sure if we can expect guys like Gonzalez to be so dominant. I think guys like Chen are better. We'd have Nick healthy, but you know there would be injuries.

I just think the whole "we got lucky" this year is so overblown. We had a lot of things NOT go our way this year that will be better next year.

81 ....... Toronto is bound to be better. The Yankees will increase the gap. Depending how Tampa improves dealing the expensive guys like Sheilds. As I said the Yankees wont be sitting on their hands.

I don't think Toronto is going to be very good next year.

It depends what the other teams do, but I'd say 83-86 wins.

I really want to see what the Sox and Rays do. I think the Yankees are around the same next year. Maybe a little worse but not much. I don't think the Jasy are very good to be honest.

Sox and Rays I want to see their offseason.

79-83 wins I would think.

I really believe we need at least one or two more high OPS guys in the lineup. Also let's not forget that all the teams will take the Orioles probably much more serious next year and will not underestimate them, like some probably did in 2012.

85-88 wins. I think the 2nd half team was for real but Toronto and Boston had very down years and I suspect those wins will be tougher to come by next year.

I agree, especially regarding the starting pitching. My estimate is slightly lower, though. I'd say 80-85 as the most likely outcome, but that the likelihood of exceeding that range is higher than the likelihood of ending up below that range.

79-83 wins I would think.

I really believe we need at least one or two more high OPS guys in the lineup. Also let's not forget that all the teams will take the Orioles probably much more serious next year and will not underestimate them, like some probably did in 2012.

Our best months were August and September, by which point we had made it clear that we were for real and nobody was underestimating us. Another bat would be nice but its going to have to come from within, possibly Wieters.

I doubt that anyone will be surprised that under this scenario I think the O's will be better next year than they were this year. I'd say 95 wins.

Why?

Defense: They will have a full year of one of the best defenses in baseball. The addition of Machado and McLouth plus the improvement of Reynolds will help the pitchers.

Starters: A full year of Tillman, Gonzalez and Saunders compared to starters Hunter, Matusz and Arrieta is a big improvement for the rotation. There is plenty of depth with Wada coming back plus S Johnson, and Britton.

Pen: The addition of Wada, Matusz and Hunter will be better than Gregg and probably even with Lindstrom. People that say the pen can't do it again are probably not considering that the way Buck uses the pen keeps them from getting tired.

Offense: The O's were 2nd in the league in homers. Machado and Flaherty are bound to be better overall and add to that homer total. Jones, Wieters and Davis will all be 27 which is supposed to be a player's peak year. So I would guess a slight increase combined. Reynolds and Hardy had down years offensively and should move back to their last three year averages. The team has power but needs a better OBP. Markakis batting in the one or two spots for a fully year can help as can the addition of McLouth.

Although the team will play 45% against the AL East they will play 55% against the rest of the league. I see less one run and extra inning games and more 2 and 3 run wins. I think overall the O's will be improved in 2013. Its a young team that has learned to win together.

Archived