Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

I've never seen Hobgood but I read on this board that he was working out with Bundy during last offseason. If anyone has seen him, does he appear to be in better shape than before?

I ask because I wonder if he is pitching better so far because he's in better shape or because the surgery took care of his injury. Even if it's a combination of both, I hope he learns that he is going to have to keep up with offseason workouts. Apparently he didn't see the connection with how well he pitched his senior year in high school with the fact that he had worked on being in better shape than he was in prior years.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So is this a sign that he was perhaps using PEDs in high school to up his velocity and pro prospects in hopes of getting a lottery selection and multi million dollar signing bonus that comes with it. Then laying off once the check is in the bank???

Because that just sounds awful fishy.

I don't think anyone has ever accused or thought that Hobgood was on PEDs. He had shoulder woes, perhaps from the start of his career. Hopefully the surgery has fixed things for him and he'll find his way back.

I've never seen Hobgood but I read on this board that he was working out with Bundy during last offseason. If anyone has seen him, does he appear to be in better shape than before?

I ask because I wonder if he is pitching better so far because he's in better shape or because the surgery took care of his injury. Even if it's a combination of both, I hope he learns that he is going to have to keep up with offseason workouts. Apparently he didn't see the connection with how well he pitched his senior year in high school with the fact that he had worked on being in better shape than he was in prior years.

I know some may think I'm biased because he's family but I honestly think this is the best shape he's ever been in life. I'd venture to say that he'd agree with me. I'd agree with the theory that it's a combination of both the surgery and getting in top shape. It's just my feeling that Matt needs a healthy dose of confidence that comes from some good outings, not feeling like he's in pain, and staying on the training course he's been on during the off season. So far, so freakin' great!

A big thanks, too, to all keep on supporting him. We really appreciate it!:clap3:

Hobgood is merely being used in relief while his shoulder continues to build strength after his surgery. He won't be at full strength until very late in the year and he won't be back to normal until a full 2 years post surgery. The intent i not to make a reliever out of him (although that maya be a decision later), but to allow him to build strength with short outings. Midd-relief does this very nicely.

I'm just as excited about a potential return to form from Hobgood as anyone else, but before we get too excited about rumors of him hitting 94, let's remember that pitchers throw harder out of the bullpen, almost invariably, so let's not assume he'll be sitting at 92 forever no matter what. That said, the fact that he has the strength in his shoulder to even hit 94 (even if it's a somewhat juiced radar gun) can only be a good thing.

I'm rooting for Hobgood. He's still fairly young so hopefully he can make something of his career after so many have written him off.

I'll second what Matt's Uncle said (our comments were being posted nearly simultaneously. He is in much better shape and changing physically from big "man-child" to physically fit and muscular at about 11% body fat. Anyone with knowledge of PEDs and Matt's earlier body composititon would certainly know he never used PEDs.

<iframe src='http://www.milb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=26242073&width=400&height=224&property=milb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Strikeout.

Tony/Weams, is Matt already throwing with better velo early this season than at any point since the Os drafted him? Any early reports on the secondary pitches?

I find all of this incredibly encouraging. The combination of strong early results, potentially better velo and pitchability from continued strengthening farther from surgery and MH being in better physical condition is a potentially potent mix. It would be a tremendous pick-up for the organization to have MH regain some of his previous prospect status.

Great interview.

Tony/Weams, is Matt already throwing with better velo early this season than at any point since the Os drafted him? Any early reports on the secondary pitches?

I find all of this incredibly encouraging. The combination of strong early results, potentially better velo and pitchability from continued strengthening farther from surgery and MH being in better physical condition is a potentially potent mix. It would be a tremendous pick-up for the organization to have MH regain some of his previous prospect status.

Great interview.

I spoke with Matt, he said he felt great. But he told me that before. I have not seen radar numbers on him or observed the quality of his pitches. He appears to be able to handle Low A batters in a relief role. Hopefully his arm still develops and he achieve the upside that I am certain that everyone would love to see. Matt can never be the prospect that he was, because those years of youth are lost. He can certainly have success. Look at Troy Patton.

I heard Matt is throwing in the low high 80's to low 90's with the fastballl depending on whether he's throwing his two-seamer or four-seamer. He's touching 93-94 on occasion.

This is actually kind of shocking. After his operation which I had never even heard of before (shoulder tightening) its great to see him doing so well. Didnt another Oriole prospect have the same surgery that Hobgood got? Wonder how that kid is doing?

Archived