Peter Angelos...Good owner or Bad owner.

OsLuvrInKy

Is Peter Angelos a good MLB team owner?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Is Peter Angelos a good MLB team owner?

• YES he is a good owner
    • NO he is not a good owner

Why do people who want this team to make a move get bashed here? All I read is enjoy 2012' s success. Well back when this team was winning fans wanted to continue to add to what we had to improve and go farther, not relive one year that no one expected in the first place. Have expectations dropped that far that we should dwell on 1 year of unexpected success. Teams that win year in and year out expect improvement, not to rehash memories of the previous year. And I will say, was it great to win last year, of course, but I would like to try and go further! That's what being a fan is all about!

Wanting them to make a move and *****ing about it nonstop until they do are two different things. Everyone wants them to do something.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was being sarcastic. PA has paid his own players lately. He paid Miggy. He payed Vlad and Derrek Lee solid money for one year. Jsut because he doesn't overpsend for average players doesn't mean he doesn't spend. I hate the whole argument that our payroll should be higher because he has it. It's just insane.

Your hilarious. You don't think giving a 37 year old Vlad 7M, when no one else was even interested in him was overpaying? Derek Lee? Those two signings are just two examples of the type of signings that have made them bad for most of two decades. Washed up "names" instead of actual talent.

A major concern around the time that he bought the O's was an out of town owner buying the team and eventually relocating it to another city, IIRC.

Probably thank Schaffer and Smoke more than Angelos. OPACY opened in 92, Angelos bought the team in 93. The Orioles weren't going anywhere for awhile even without PA.

A major concern around the time that he bought the O's was an out of town owner buying the team and eventually relocating it to another city, IIRC.
Angelos bought the team in 1993. There was absolutely no way any new owner would have moved the team due to the lease at Camden Yards which had just started the year before. The folklore that Angelos saved the Orioles in Baltimore needs to stop. In fact, he took a capacity filled ballpark and managed to drive away more than half the attendance in 14 years.

Angelos bought the team in 1993. There was absolutely no way any new owner would have moved the team due to the lease at Camden Yards which had just started the year before. The folklore that Angelos saved the Orioles in Baltimore needs to stop. In fact, he took a capacity filled ballpark and managed to drive away more than half the attendance in 14 years.

That's fine. Like I said, "IIRC." I was like 8 or 9 years old at the time, and never really looked into it too much.

:agree:

As we headed down the stretch and people started coming back it reminded me how much I loved going to OPACY to root on competitive and meaningful baseball. IMO Pete robbed this city of that via his interference in baseball matters, poor management, poor public relations and general arrogance. I hope he learned a lesson or two and will invest a little of that money he has profitted over the years into maintaining and building on last years success (not just in FA but development and scouting as well). Until he shows he is willing to do that and its reflected in the results on the field ..... he still sucks in my book

It's quite simple. A good owner puts his profits (or a reasonable portion of it) back into the team. Staying out of things is something to be expected. You put baseball people in charge of a team and let them fail or succeed. Whether they do or not is not your fault as long as you stay out of it.

You have to spend in the AL if you want to sustain success whether that is signing free agents or trading for talent with significant salary. Player development is only half of the equation. The climate in the AL is getting worse and worse with the outrageous spenders. You now have the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Tigers, and Rangers all with payrolls well north of 100 million, and those are the teams that are going to be in it on a year to year basis.

In the late 90's Angelos was a bad owner because he interfered in team operations even though we had the highest payroll in the game as recently as 1997. Now he is a bad owner because he refuses to spend when our resources appear to be at an all time high. Different problems, same result....a bad owner.

It's quite simple. A good owner puts his profits (or a reasonable portion of it) back into the team. Staying out of things is something to be expected. You put baseball people in charge of a team and let them fail or succeed. Whether they do or not is not your fault as long as you stay out of it.

You have to spend in the AL if you want to sustain success whether that is signing free agents or trading for talent with significant salary. Player development is only half of the equation. The climate in the AL is getting worse and worse with the outrageous spenders. You now have the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Tigers, and Rangers all with payrolls well north of 100 million, and those are the teams that are going to be in it on a year to year basis.

In the late 90's Angelos was a bad owner because he interfered in team operations even though we had the highest payroll in the game as recently as 1997. Now he is a bad owner because he refuses to spend when our resources appear to be at an all time high. Different problems, same result....a bad owner.

Why on Earth would anyone expect a self-made billionaire to "stay out of things" when that thing represents a sizable chunk of his net worth and public image? And while we're at it, why would PA be concerned with abstract notions of fault when he has a financial responsibility to shareholders? If you were a minority partner, wouldn't you expect the managing partner to exercise a little more oversight than being comfortable with "letting them (the baseball people) fail" as long as there's some defendable possibility of success?

You'll get no argument from me that over the course of his tenure PA has been a bad owner but the Orioles' current situation is not "quite simple" it's quite complex, just like the individual who's the primary source of the problem.

Oh look:

94% - No

6% - Yes (all of which are probably troll votes)

Who could have ever guessed this poll would have turned out this way? Its almost as if this thread was designed solely for eliciting more anti-Angelos rants. No. No. Wait a minute. That's too cynical. The thread creator was probably genuinely curious if Angelos was a good owner or bad owner. I'm sure of it.

Oh look:

94% - No

6% - Yes (all of which are probably troll votes)

Who could have ever guessed this poll would have turned out this way? Its almost as if this thread was designed solely for eliciting more anti-Angelos rants. No. No. Wait a minute. That's too cynical. The thread creator was probably genuinely curious if Angelos was a good owner or bad owner. I'm sure of it.

Actually I have met Peter and I am personally sure of 2 things. 1 is that he does care about Baltimore and is a good man at heart. 2 is that he does not know baseball as good as he thinks he does and that he is a bad owner. I started this thread because I am tired of hearing that this forum is just a big group of Angelos apologists. It was not designed to induce more Angelos rants but to see what the percentage is of people who think he is good. BTW thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread and kept it fairly civil.

You must not read this board closely.

Not even the results of this poll will deter certain posters from their conviction that this board is full of Angelos apologists.

Unfortunately this is completely true, sad to say.

For much of the losing seasons the Orioles were pretty much a dysfunctional organization. (High turnover in the front office, poor record in player development etc.) For years there has been an arrogance among the staff at OPACY as well. This type of approach and attitude starts at the top. He's not a good owner IMO.

There is no measurement that would show Angelos to be a good owner. Even the fact he got MLB to pay him to launch MASN and grant him Nats rights wasn't some brilliant idea from Angelos. Any owner of the territorial rights would have done the same thing.

I'm surprised there is little discussion about the $65-70m of MASN profits that are not used in ANY way to secure free agent talent to Baltimore. The combination of Orioles revenues and MASN profits have to approach $300 million. There is no reason the Orioles can't support a $130-140m payroll.

Do we not recall when MASN was launched years ago that Angelos said that you needed at least $110m payroll to regularly compete in the AL East and that MASN would enable the Orioles to do so, yet our payroll has never approached this number.

We are now at the point where we have a very solid core with some superb pitching prospects on the horizon, yet we don't add free agent pieces to the core. Josh Hamilton would have cost a ton of money and it is likely in the last two years of his contract he wouldn't have performed to the value we would pay him, but you put his bat in the middle of our order in 2013 and we have a legit chance to win it all. If you are unwilling to go for it when you are this close, there is no reason to EVER believe Angelos will own a team that will win a championship.

Archived