Buster Olney/ESPN slap at the Os

MachadOboutManny

No one gives us respect because no one believes in our pitching. Until they prove it again we will always be ignored.

This is also why we cant make trades. No one actually believes our young pitchers are actually any good.

I think its a great thing that we didn't make any trades with Matusz/Britton/Jake. I would much prefer us taking new approaches to get the most out of them than to sell low on them. I dont want to use any of them as "throw ins". We've all seen them throw games that a lot of guys, who do very well, could never throw. C-C&C - Confidence, Consistency, and Control. All things these guys can work on if they are around the right people. Trading any of them now would be ridiculous imho.

That said, Im on the other side with Tillman, if we could really get a guy like Hosmer or Justin Upton for Tillman I would sell him now. Again, if the market for Tillman is anything like what many here suggest it is. I dont think he has tremendous trade value. I have read gentlemen here state that they wouldn't deal Tillman for Hosmer, to me that would be one of the best deals in the history of the Baltimore Orioles.

I watch every game, like many here do (or wish they could) and I want to win as much, or more, than anyone. This FA class and Market was not, at all, a fit for the Orioles. Too much money going for far too little talent. Same can be said for the trade Market.

I think the team is in a decent position. Unlike others, I would Love to add Morse, I believe he would be our best bat and can comfortably play 1B, LF, and DH. The Washington Nationals and the Baltimore Orioles just don't match well with a trade. If the Nationals were willing to add Espinosa, then we may be able to offer them something they'd be more interested in, but they need to restock their Farm and we certainly cant help them with that.

I would give them Tillman for Morse, Hood and Espinosa. That would be unpopular here, but if we had an extension worked out for Morse and got an elite middle infielder who has huge power/speed potential, I would pull the trigger in half a second. We would clean up in that deal, imho. I should post a poll to see what the OH would feel about that. That is my ideal move for the offseason.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Old habits die hard. I'm beyond worrying about this stuff.

Its not concern so much as it is going out of your way not to acknowledge a team that beat up on Toronto and to throw a bunch of highlights of Orioles Striking out vs Dickey. Dickey had a lot of great games, played a lot of teams more than once, and they showed up the Os ABs in their clips. I dont like it. Certainly I'm not losing sleep over it, but there were a couple shots at the O's and I have some pride when it comes to how our boys are portrayed. These guys just fought their asses off to give some of us the best baseball/sports memories we've had since we were kids. These guys fought their asses off and truly changed how much a lot of us enjoyed each day of our summer.

I feel within my rights to be defensive about the team that defied everything the experts said all year. To hear the same experts counting them out, again, already, while showing the Orioles being embarrassed by Dickey 50 times today, was something I didn't care for. Certainly not going to lose sleep over it, but this is the board to discuss Orioles related thoughts, news, feelings, considerations.

The young men who battled each night to win, to give us a great summer, I will speak up for on the board when I feel they're being slighted.

:beerchug1:

The rest of the baseball world looks at our record in 1 run games last year and the fact we've done nothing to improve ourselves this offseason and think somehow that we won't do even better than 2012. Wait, what was the question?

Do they look at Everything they said had to happen for the Orioles to have a chance to contend? Hardy hitting 30 HR with a solid BA, Reynolds hitting 35-40, Arrieta/Britton/Matusz turning it around, Reimold producing and staying healthy, Weiters taking a huge step offensively, Gregg finding the form the gained him a contract in the first place, Wada being "special", and Markakis finding his power and staying healthy? Because None of those things happened, and it would have require All of those things to happen, according to the "experts" for us to contend. Seems we were playing an elimination playoff game in NY, if memory serves. Toss in the 1 run record to make up for none of those things happening? Wait, what was the question.

Which goes back to another annoying thing our FO does, and that is overvalue our talent.

Works sometimes, but more often, it doesn't.

MSK

Didn't the Orioles used to be accused of trading away talent TOO early?? ( curt schilling among many others). And now we blame them for not wanting to trade young pitching when their value is extremely low and therefore unlikely to yield anything worthy of risking losing a future ace.

Its okay they didn't acknowledge us last year and we did great who needs acknowledgement. Pretty sure they didn't acknowledge the giants till they won the world series. They will only acknowledge big market teams like the yankees,dodgers,angels,phillies,red sox ... but chances are none of them make it to the world series.

Absolutely, but I can still be displeased with the lack of respect given to the team I have loved since I was born. Philosophically, I get it, people think the Os stinks and we're no threat and we're a small market. However, after what we just did, I'd like to hear us mentioned, if they are going to be talking, specifically about this division. The Orioles deserve to be mentioned and considered.

Are you serious? This is the article you choose to link? This looks like something that was written in Japanese and then translated poorly into English. What is this?

He had some truth in one article. Buck saying he likes CD at first and thinks he can make him better. I'm pretty far gone bought into Dan's opinion, but Buck is God.no blasphemy intended... just an analogy. If Buck believes it then it is true.

I don't think it's a slap to the Orioles. The Yankees and Red Sox are ESPN's bread and butter. The casual ESPN baseball fan probably doesn't care about how Dickey affects the O's. Outside of Baltimore, the Orioles are still perceived as far behind the Yankees and Red Sox. It's all about ratings.

As far as the Dickey video striking out O's, wouldn't it make sense to show video of him this past year against AL East competition, considering he now pitches in the East? Not sure who else he faced, but I don't think the video was anything to get upset about.

I don't think it's a slap to the Orioles. The Yankees and Red Sox are ESPN's bread and butter. The casual ESPN baseball fan probably doesn't care about how Dickey affects the O's. Outside of Baltimore, the Orioles are still perceived as far behind the Yankees and Red Sox. It's all about ratings.

As far as the Dickey video striking out O's, wouldn't it make sense to show video of him this past year against AL East competition, considering he now pitches in the East? Not sure who else he faced, but I don't think the video was anything to get upset about.

While I agree that this makes sense in the short-term for the network, I think with the possible emergence of a competitor in NBC sports as well as various other forming sports entertainment bodies, it makes sense for ESPN to focus on creating an all-around quality product. What made ESPN what it is today was the coverage it gave to all games. I remember years ago loving watching the early morning highlights of every baseball game from the night before. It's like MTV now in that there seems to be little actual sports relative to what they once put out. A lot of human interest stories and "drama" seem to dominate SC now. Obviously I'm coming from an O's fan perspective, but I have to think that most fans would rather get a more broad perspective. If I'm a Jets fan, I believe that I would rather see coverage of the whole NFL when I turn on ESPN, not just story after story about our nonexistent QB battle in training camp (talking about prior to the season).

Also...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-12-15/sports/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-1216-20121215_1_orioles-manager-buck-showalter-nolan-reimold-orioles-defense

Barring an offeseason move that would dictate otherwise ? the Orioles are still shopping for a power bat through the trade market ? Showalter made it clear that the 26-year-old Davis will have the opportunity to be the team's everyday first baseman.

OK, let's address this article, then. This confirms what everyone but you has been saying-- the Orioles will have Davis as the starting 1B unless they acquire someone else. That's certainly not the same thing as "the Orioles have already said Davis is starting and they're not even trying to get anyone else," as you claimed. You've basically disproved your own point.

Its not concern so much as it is going out of your way not to acknowledge a team that beat up on Toronto and to throw a bunch of highlights of Orioles Striking out vs Dickey. Dickey had a lot of great games, played a lot of teams more than once, and they showed up the Os ABs in their clips. I dont like it. Certainly I'm not losing sleep over it, but there were a couple shots at the O's and I have some pride when it comes to how our boys are portrayed. These guys just fought their asses off to give some of us the best baseball/sports memories we've had since we were kids. These guys fought their asses off and truly changed how much a lot of us enjoyed each day of our summer.

I feel within my rights to be defensive about the team that defied everything the experts said all year. To hear the same experts counting them out, again, already, while showing the Orioles being embarrassed by Dickey 50 times today, was something I didn't care for. Certainly not going to lose sleep over it, but this is the board to discuss Orioles related thoughts, news, feelings, considerations.

The young men who battled each night to win, to give us a great summer, I will speak up for on the board when I feel they're being slighted.

Do you think a conscious decision was made to specifically show the Orioles being owned by Dickey? Maybe, but I think the explanation is likely to be much more mundane.

A quick look at BBRef shows that Dickey had two games where he struck out 13 batters and none where he struck out more. One of them of course was the Orioles on June 18. Where would a producer and editor look for footage when they have a brutal deadline to meet? They would go to those games where he was most dominant and quickly grab what was most readily available, jam it in and move on because the clock is ticking. I know because I've worked in environments like this several times over the years. Possibly they made note of the fact that the Orioles were in the same division that Dickey now is, possibly not. The only other AL East opponent he faced last year was Tampa once.

It's hard to impress on people how low the threshold for acceptability is in television compared to what people reasonably expect. I wouldn't take it personally, it's probably a product of deadline pressure rather than design.

Which goes back to another annoying thing our FO does, and that is overvalue our talent.

Works sometimes, but more often, it doesn't.

MSK

I am glad somebody else feels this way...I mean, how hard is it to see that a guy isn't likely to pan out before every other team in the league can see it? He's YOUR GUY...you know everything before anyone else does, and usually WAY BEFORE anyone else does.

Now, before I get into examples and get big time backlash from the "How dare you" crowd, just know that I am willing to debate several of these because remember this is an "opinion topic"...

A few examples, some big, some middle of the road misses or just small misses, but still...

Hayden Penn, Daniel Cabrera, Sidney Ponson, Rodrigo Lopez (missed a sell-high after 2004 and again in 2005), Eric Dubose (missed a sell-high after 2003), Radhames Liz (not big but on some level because he was claimed off waivers - could have likely gotten something for him, you can always find a buyer for a young guy throwing 98+), Brad Bergesen, and IMO Brian Matusz (after 2010 season, and again after looking great at the end of this season...)

Mussina, Ben McDonald, BJ Ryan - (Guys that left in FA that we could have traded at the deadline or even before their last year)

Guys they did a great job with were Guthrie and Bedard, and on a slightly lesser scale, David Hernandez, Garrett Olson and George Sherrill

Arrieta probably would have brought in quite a bit before 2012, Tillman could definitely go either way right now but IMO he is looking a little bit closer to "keep" than "sell-high", current sell-high guys IMO would include Gonzalez, but not Steve Johnson because despite his success nobody seems to believe in it because of his "average stuff"...

You can't count Adam Loewen because injuries muddied the waters there, could have been good-to-great...

Where am I wrong? Did I miss any?

By the way, I had no idea he was Dave Johnson's son...I must have missed them saying that on the broadcast about his first win being exactly 23 years to the day from when his father got his first win with the Orioles...because there's no way they missed that on the broadcast...

In my defense, I had to watch a few games on mute this season...so that was probably one of them.

Archived