So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

C'mon. If it was a guy w no track record who'd been playing brilliantly for 17 games and they didn't hand him a spot in the lineup (pretty much analogous to Roberts situation in the inverse) you'd be praising them for it.

We can't too many hard conclusions from 17 games. You know that.

Doesn't matter what his track record was, if he wasn't physically ready last year then he wasn't physically ready. I think we can draw the conclusion that he was not physically ready last year. While there's no guarantee of any players performance, I expect the organization to honestly assess that before putting the player out on the field.

Your analogy is just wrong. You're basically implying I'd take any decsison with a positive as sound because it worked out positive. That's simply not true.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doesn't matter what his track record was, if he wasn't physically ready last year then he wasn't physically ready. I think we can draw the conclusion that he was not physically ready last year. While there's no guarantee of any players performance, I expect the organization to honestly assess that before putting the player out on the field.

Your analogy is just wrong. You're basically implying I'd take any decsison with a positive as sound because it worked out positive. That's simply not true.

I disagree that we can draw that conclusion. I think we can conclude he didn't hit well for 60 abs. That doesn't mean much imo. You know, you're a "stats" guy? How many bloopers and one down the line for 2 does it take to make that line look pretty good? Not many.

Do you think that if Roberts had gone to Buck and DD and said that he thought he needed a couple more weeks in the minors to be fully prepared they would have refused him?

Wasn't there a time limit on Roberts' rehab stint?

As I recall there was, though I don't remember the specifics.

I don't think time was inconsequential. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I disagree that we can draw that conclusion. I think we can conclude he didn't hit well for 60 abs. That doesn't mean much imo. You know, you're a "stats" guy? How many bloopers and one down the line for 2 does it take to make that line look pretty good? Not many.

He also looked bad on defense.

Roberts did not look like a player in a slump last season. He looked like someone that had no business being on the field.

The truth is, putting aside the stats, BRob didn't look good last year. The ball had no zing when it left his bat. I felt like he could not hit anything with authority. To me, the biggest question this spring is whether he still looks that way.

In this case, I don't need stats to know that Roberts looked pathetic last year.

Wasn't there a time limit on Roberts' rehab stint?

As I recall there was, though I don't remember the specifics.

I don't think time was inconsequential. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty sure the player can voluntarily stay longer if they wish. It is my understanding (could be wrong) that the time limit is there to stop the team from abusing rehab. They also could have put him back on the DL and restarted the clock.

Do you think that if Roberts had gone to Buck and DD and said that he thought he needed a couple more weeks in the minors to be fully prepared they would have refused him?

Of course not but I can't ignore the human factor... guy sees his team competing, wants to help (I've never been one of the idiots who questioned his passion/effort), rushes himself back, welcome to sports, nothing new right? Buck and DD can't refuse him and Brian can't refuse himself. You have the perfect storm and suddenly -1~ WAR in 17 games.

Do you ever get the feeling Steve Melewski lurks on this board? From this morning:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/02/whats-with-all-the-roberts-critics.html

I find that quite often, there will be a heated topic here and Melewski will post an entry on that topic the same day a thread appears here, even when there is no news event that has triggered a discussion of the topic.

Steve, as well as other members of the media, team, and front office, read the OriolesHangout. Some more often than others.

The truth is, putting aside the stats, BRob didn't look good last year. The ball had no zing when it left his bat. I felt like he could not hit anything with authority. To me, the biggest question this spring is whether he still looks that way.

Socalbirdfan made a good point about his upper body looking much bigger this year and I don't recall him driving a ball last year like he did yesterday. We shall see I guess.

He also looked bad on defense.

Roberts did not look like a player in a slump last season. He looked like someone that had no business being on the field.

I wouldn't disagree w that, honestly. But I just don't think we can start using such SSS to bolster our points, where if they flew in opposition to our points, we'd right point out the SSS aspect.

I wouldn't disagree w that, honestly. But I just don't think we can start using such SSS to bolster our points, where if they flew in opposition to our points, we'd right point out the SSS aspect.

I think everyone made it clear that it was a SSS. If all you have is a SSS I think you are better off using it then going with no information whatsoever.

I for one care more about what he did last year then what he did in 2007.

Well so long as disregarding stats is left to your discretion and nobody else's. ;)

Odd how that works.

Is it odd that two other quality posters on this board told you the exact same thing I did? Is it odd that I'm not wrapped up about the statisitcal significance of 74 AB's? Or is it odd that your game really hasn't changed all that much?

Archived