Notes from the Post!

fansince71

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that we know what the players think they will get the O's should just look to the second level guys. Sign Aram 6/90, Nomar 3/30, Thomas 2/18, or trade pitching (perferrably Benson or Roddy) for Carter/Huber/Sealy/Botts type forgoing one of Thomas or Nomar. Move Mora to LF knowing you are basically committing to Fio and/or Riemold getting time there when Mora pulls a hammy. Assuming nobody falls off a cliff that would be a much better offensive team and much better defensively with Nomar and Aram in the infield. Bring Olson, Liz, Penn, Hoey, Burres and Hale up to fill out the rotation and BP and pray that the pitching develops.

I don't, because that artifically lowers his value. If he demands a trade everyone in the world knows it, and knows that the O's are in a position where they have to get rid of him no matter what the final offer is.

Tell that to the White Sox, who traded good talent for Vazquez last year.

I think there will be enough teams after Benson where we can equal value back.

"The Orioles, according to the source, have also had initial conversations with the New York Yankees about outfielder Gary Sheffield...."

Please kill me. Now.

Are you serious? The plan to improve the franchise is to make a trade for an outfielder (with an admitted "accidental" steroid incident in his past) who happens to be coming off an injury and is older than Babe Ruth? Sure, he can hit. Where does he play? We saw him at first a little this year, and he played ground balls like live grenades. I don't want to see him chugging around the outfield -- he might collapse.

Hey DEVILos -- the Yankees are in our division. We, the fans who have been loyally lining your pockets since you've owned OUR FAVORITE TEAM absolutely HATE the damn Yankees. Do not make a trade with those guys unless you're trading yourself up there for A-Rod. If I see a trade of a young pitcher -- even some nameless 18-year-old -- to NY, you know he'll become the next Ron Guidry, and I'll throw up every time I see him.

Instead of being floored, hopefully the Orioles will remain aggressive and figure out how high they are willing to go. Say its 6/90- Offer it and tell him he has one week for that offer to stand and to find a better deal. Meanwhile continue negotiations with the other guys so the moment that one week goes by they don't have to bat an eye. MOVE ON! NEXT!

I thought the new CBA has it that a player traded in the middle of his contract can no longer demand a trade. Why would Benson be allowed to do so? Grandfather clause?

Doesn't go into effect until mid-December. All contracts signed before then probably aren't affected.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Burrell line. I guess that's because it goes against the whole "he'll come here now because the Phillies aren't starting him" theory that some have.

Their bring back Rodrigo unless he's traded, I guess that's ok, I just hope we don't go into the season with him in the rotation. He should be our 6th or 7th starter along with Penn.

I would be fine with trading Benson, but don't think we'll get all that much for him, especially if he demands a trade.

Soriano obviously will not get 7/119, what players/agents initially request is always outlandish, so I'm not sure why the O's were floored. He'll probably get about 6/90. I wouldn't give him that.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Burrell line. I guess that's because it goes against the whole "he'll come here now because the Phillies aren't starting him" theory that some have.

Their bring back Rodrigo unless he's traded, I guess that's ok, I just hope we don't go into the season with him in the rotation. He should be our 6th or 7th starter along with Penn.

I would be fine with trading Benson, but don't think we'll get all that much for him, especially if he demands a trade.

Soriano obviously will not get 7/119, what players/agents initially request is always outlandish, so I'm not sure why the O's were floored. He'll probably get about 6/90. I wouldn't give him that.

I have never though Burrell would agree to come here. We can look into it but that's a longshot.

The pitching situation is a crapshoot. Lopez could go 15-10 with a 4.00 ERA, or he could go 10-15 with a 5.50 ERA. So could most of the FA pitchers we are considering. So could Benson.

I don't, because that artifically lowers his value. If he demands a trade everyone in the world knows it, and knows that the O's are in a position where they have to get rid of him no matter what the final offer is.

I don't think it matters.

Let's say that we refuse all trade offers, regardless of value (which we've been known to do in the past). What is Benson going to do? It will be only a couple of weeks before spring training and most teams will have their rosters and budgets fully allocated. Will he walk if is value is less than what he is currently making?

One reason the clause is probably being eliminated is its total ineffectiveness. Yes, players demand trades and get them, but those whose demands are not met rarely if ever walk.

Either way he doesn't want to go to a losing team. He's a longshot.

Oh i agree it is a long shot...I think it will depend on how many other teams are interested in him. If no one else really wants him and it is between playing full time and playing part time, i think he comes here.

If other contenders want him, then there is no chance he comes here.

More from the Post- The Baltimore Orioles, according to a team source, began preliminary discussions with Washington Nationals left fielder Alfonso Soriano , and were floored by the free agent's initial contract outline.

According to the source, Soriano is seeking a deal similar to the seven-year, $119 million deal given to center fielder Carlos Beltran by the New York Mets before the 2005 season. It's unlikely the Orioles will be in the running for Soriano if he doesn't back off those demands. Teams can start bidding on free agents on Nov. 12.

Wanting isn't the same as getting. Vlad asked for 7/120 right out of the shoot in his free agent year as well. Soriano will probably get Vlad money (or a little better) which makes failing to sign Vlad even more emasculating. I think we all agree that we'd rather pay Vlad Vlad money than Soriano.

The catch is that a player inferior to Soriano will probably be getting Soriano money or better next year. The prices aren't going down, gents. You're either a player or you're not. I guess the MASN deal was consumated at just the right time, huh :rolleyes:

Archived