Brian Roberts makes first road trip of the spring 3/19 vs Red Sox in Ft Myers

weams

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After two innings:

Matusz, 2IP, 4Hits and a walk. I just don't see Matusz ever turning the corner and becoming a ML starter.
What did you say during his previous start where he pitched 4 scoreless innings and had like a billion strikeouts?
That was against an all Minor Leagers. Matusz dominates up to AAA, just seems like one of those guys whose stuff doesn't play at the ML level... at least not as a starter when he has to get 4, 5, 6 straight RH hitters. Hope I'm wrong... if he ever fulfilled his early projections the O's would be building a great starting rotation.

After four innings:

Must admit, another strong outing by Matusz against a good lineup. I think he vaults into the starting rotation... and allows Buck to keep McFarland.

Is Hunter or Arietta going to be traded???

Wow, you can change opinions fast. Matusz ends up with 5 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K's. Overall, he did a good job pitching out of trouble, and threw a lot of strikes (29 of 38 in the first three innings; don't know the final count). I'd say he kept himself in the running, but wasn't so dominant that he is clearly in the lead, either.

5 IP

6 H

1 ER

1 BB

2 K

Not bad. I guess there are some nitpick situations. 7 baserunners in 5 IP isn't great. I'd like to see more K's. But, the results are good. I'll be very interested to hear from vatech how he looked.

Yes yes. This. Be interested to see how he looked and what pitches he was mixing in.

I'd say he kept himself in the running, but wasn't so dominant that he is clearly in the lead, either.
This. There has been no separation between Matusz, Arrieta, Britton and Johnson. All have pitched well. Can't wait to have Bundy, Gausman and Wright all pitching at Bowie with three of the other four, along with Jurrgens pitching in Norfolk. There will be a lot of options when some in the rotation gets hurt or performs poorly. And, we didn't have to trade away anything for a Saunders wannabe (okay, so far - it seems that Duquette has resisted the temptation). Norfolk will be stacked with major league ready/experienced players that DD can reach down and grab when needed. We didn't make the big, headline grabbing move in the off season, but he stayed busy with the smaller deals that made a huge difference last season. I'm lovin' it (not McLovin' it though :-)

BRIAN MATUSZ

IP:O 5

H:o. 6

R:O. 1

BB:. 1

SO:. 2

2013 ERA: 2.40 (Spring Training)

It's still ST, but except for them missing Ortiz this looks like what they run out there for an everyday lineup. I'd like to see less baserunners also, but I'm pleased with how he worked out of that last inning.

Archived