Chris Davis Count Down

sevastras

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The side that always keeps these debates on going are the guys who see gray. The guys who have no problem with PED's say what they say. The guys who see the cheats for what they are say what they have to say.

So what you mean is that anyone who doesn't see the pure truth of calmnunderfire is wrong. If they'd just see that, they'd stop with their wrongness and the debate would be over. Now I get it.

So Davis was just discussed on Around The Horn... everyone seemed to think Davis was going to keep it going but the woman on that show said something like "it's not like Davis has some great hitting team around him"

:slytf:

No kidding. Does around the horn have transcripts? Just curious to see the context. Was it Jackie McMullen? Bc she's a Boston writer if I'm not mistaken :)

PED's followed the weight lifters. They became popular with body builders and competitive weight lifters in the late 40's early 50's. As weight training became popular for baseball players so did PED's. I doubt PED's did any more for McGwire and Bonds then they did for Alex Shanchez. They were just that much better. Given all the other factors that enhanced numbers during the so called steroid era(juiced ball, smaller strike zone, lower mound, expansion thinned pitching, smaller parks etc.) the impact of PED's on the game is probably not much greater than the impact of greenies, IMO.

PED's followed the weight lifters. They became popular with body builders and competitive weight lifters in the late 40's early 50's. As weight training became popular for baseball players so did PED's. I doubt PED's did any more for McGwire and Bonds then they did for Alex Shanchez. They were just that much better. Given all the other factors that enhanced numbers during the so called steroid era(juiced ball, smaller strike zone, lower mound, expansion thinned pitching, smaller parks etc.) the impact of PED's on the game is probably not much greater than the impact of greenies, IMO.

They go hand in hand because PED's primary benefit is longevity and lack of fatigue when working out. McGwire and Bonds didn't simply inject themselves. sit on the couch eating donuts, then run out and hit 500ft bombs. They used PED's to lift more and lift longer than their teammates. But added strength is only one small aspect of hitting a baseball.

Simply unreal.

This definitely feels like Bondsian like performance as being much more than a hot streak.

It was exciting watching Bonds, but Davis does it to all fields. Anything left of 20 feet left of center for Bonds was not happening.

It was exciting watching Bonds, but Davis does it to all fields. Anything left of 20 feet left of center for Bonds was not happening.

Not true... Here is his spray chart for 2007 (his last season)

Bonds_Barry_2007_scatter.jpg

Sadly, ESPN didn't have the hit tracker for his prime seasons, but I bet if someone else tracked it, you would see a very fair split of his 700+ homers.

Back on to topic-----------

6/21 Davis hits a 3 run LF home run off Dickey. #27

<iframe src='http://wapc.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=28226905&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Joins Pujols & A Rod as 3rd player to hit 28 in 1st 78 games over the last 10 years.

<iframe src='http://wapc.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=28333251&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Not true... Here is his spray chart for 2007 (his last season)

Bonds_Barry_2007_scatter.jpg

Sadly, ESPN didn't have the hit tracker for his prime seasons, but I bet if someone else tracked it, you would see a very fair split of his 700+ homers.

I seem to remember him being less of a pull hitter in his "leaner" years with the Pirates. He really was the complete player, spraying the ball all over the field. He still did pull on occasion, as do all players at some point (except maybe Nick).

After the transformation in SF his bat speed was so ridiculously fast he seemed to pull the ball constantly. Now to be clear, obviously when I say "seemed" I am just going off of my (admittedly bad) memory. Even in the chart above though only 5 of 28 went left of CF, 2 of which within a 7.5 degree arc, which is pretty darn close to CF.

I would be very interested to see his HR landing spots for all of those years and see if there was a significant difference and in fact his entire hit chart over his career and see if it changed.

I seem to remember him being less of a pull hitter in his "leaner" years with the Pirates. He really was the complete player, spraying the ball all over the field. He still did pull on occasion, as do all players at some point (except maybe Nick).

After the transformation in SF his bat speed was so ridiculously fast he seemed to pull the ball constantly. Now to be clear, obviously when I say "seemed" I am just going off of my (admittedly bad) memory. Even in the chart above though only 5 of 28 went left of CF, 2 of which within a 7.5 degree arc, which is pretty darn close to CF.

I would be very interested to see his HR landing spots for all of those years and see if there was a significant difference and in fact his entire hit chart over his career and see if it changed.

My memory is that pitchers tried to bust him inside a lot more as his head expanded, because he stood so close to the plate he would annihilate anything outside. So in true going-with-the-pitch fashion, he pulled the crap out of those pitches into the stands.

Archived