Do you like the Feldman trade?

Tony-OH

How do you feel about the Feldman trade?  

295 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Feldman trade?

• I love it: The Oriole are going to the World Series now
    • I like it: The Orioles are a better team
    • I don't like it: The team is not improved
    • I hate it: We are worse off then before the trade.

This poll is closed to new votes

For those unaware (which my guess would be several of you, as he's not your concern anymore), Jake was optioned to AAA Iowa. Apparently he's under team control through 2017 if he accrues less than 73 days of major league time this season...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/reactions-to-the-feldman-arrieta-trade.html

How I envision Arrieta's career going: Minor league journeyman until he surfaces with a crappy team in 2023. Wins Cy Young Award. Stinks it up the next year and is out of baseball by mid-May.

Feldman just pitched a gem tonight. 8 IP with 2 ER. I'm glad Strop's doing well. Seems like both teams benefited.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just stopped back in to see how Feldman was doing for you guys. Since the trade, Strop has made 8 appearances, pitching 6.2 innings. He's given up 2 hits, 2 walks, and has a 0.0 era.

Arietta has looked beyond lost in AAA. 4 starts, 0-2 record, era over 5...whip over 1.6....ugh.

We've gotten a lot more quality innings out of Feldman as a SP than you have out of Strop as a RP, and I knew (and let's be honest, you probably knew, too) that Arrieta would be a flop the moment you dealt for him.

Strop might help you hang on to some leads in the late innings, but it feels like you got the short end of the stick! Feldman is nails for us now.

We've gotten a lot more quality innings out of Feldman as a SP than you have out of Strop as a RP, and I knew (and let's be honest, you probably knew, too) that Arrieta would be a flop the moment you dealt for him.

Strop might help you hang on to some leads in the late innings, but it feels like you got the short end of the stick! Feldman is nails for us now.

Jake has great stuff.

Ehh, with the current rebuild, Cub fans are hopeful he can turn it around and be serviceable. God's honest truth, Strop being as good as he's been (had another inning blemish-free tonight) was more than most of us expected. Right now Theo & Co. is trying to load the farm w/ as many + arms as possible. Arrieta may not be one of those arms, but the direction of the team is improving, especially with the Garza trade tonight. Cubs may end up w/ 5 Rangers that were rated inside their top 20 at the beginning of the season as a result of that trade.

I hope I'm wrong about him...but I just don't think Feldman has "the stuff" to beat good teams. He's struggled once for the Orioles, and iirc, it was against the only above avg. offense he's seen. That was the trend he showed w/ the Cubs as well. However, when you're discussing a #4/#5 pitcher...as long as he stays healthy, eats innings, and beats the teams he should beat, he fits his mold.

Ehh, with the current rebuild, Cub fans are hopeful he can turn it around and be serviceable. God's honest truth, Strop being as good as he's been (had another inning blemish-free tonight) was more than most of us expected. Right now Theo & Co. is trying to load the farm w/ as many + arms as possible. Arrieta may not be one of those arms, but the direction of the team is improving, especially with the Garza trade tonight. Cubs may end up w/ 5 Rangers that were rated inside their top 20 at the beginning of the season as a result of that trade.

I hope I'm wrong about him...but I just don't think Feldman has "the stuff" to beat good teams. He's struggled once for the Orioles, and iirc, it was against the only above avg. offense he's seen. That was the trend he showed w/ the Cubs as well. However, when you're discussing a #4/#5 pitcher...as long as he stays healthy, eats innings, and beats the teams he should beat, he fits his mold.

Wait until your team is good and he has to come into a high leverage situation. Then it will be finger nail chewing time, pal.

The Orioles have an above-average offense too, and that's an understatement. They also have one of the best defenses in the majors. These factors improve Feldman's chances.

Feldman would be most likely to lose a game when the opposing pitcher is a bona fide ace. I wouldn't want Feldman to go toe to toe in a pitching duel against Cliff Lee or Max Scherzer or Chris Sale, even if the opposing offense were much worse than the Orioles'.

As long as the O's offense can get under the skin of the opposing starter, I think Feldman has a very good chance to win games and keep the opposing offense under control. There aren't that many offenses in the AL that could out-slug the Orioles anyway, so we just need someone who can stem the tide long enough to give way to the bullpen in the 7th or 8th. Feldman is that guy.

Toronto was the best offense he faced, and he fared pretty well against them. He's not going to shut down teams most of the time, but as long as he eats innings and keeps us in the game, he's doing his job. For the most part, he's done that.

Either way, you guys didn't get the short end of the stick. Feldman was a FA at the end of the year, so getting anything for him would be a win. Getting guys with those types of arms is a bonus IMO. I'm not sure Jake will figure it out, but if he does....wow can he be good.

I'm very glad to hear that Strop is doing well. He was great for us at the end of 2011 and the first 4.5 months of 2012. His struggles after that seemed to be more about confidence than stuff. I hope he keeps it up and gives the Cubs several good years.

And sorry about Arrieta... He's an enigma at best. A disaster at worst! H's a prima donna.. Who hasn't ever proven a GD thing! :ohlord:

Y'all's problem now! :rofl:

I don't think it's really fair to call Jake a prima donna. By all accounts he's a good guy who works hard and just can't put it together.

I think its too early to say that anyone got the short end of the stick. Strop is pitching well there and Feldman is pitching well here. Sounds like a win-win in my book. BTW, if I'm the Cubs, I'm converting Arrieta to relief and see what happens.

Unfortunately for Jake's career, he's that guy everyone thinks they can fix and have him become a stud starter. I'm not sure why the O's didn't convert him, but I'm not surprised the Cubs haven't yet. They'll want to see what their guys can do for him.

Well of course; there's a huge juicy potential there to develop a #1 starter. They'd be fools to not at least try to make a starter of him. Now - I don't think they'll succeed - but IF they do, it will be one of the best trades for the Cubs in years, considering what they gave up to get him. Oh, and they got Strop too, who seems to have figured it out the moment he left Baltimore.

Archived