MLB.com article on the Wright deal

Frobby

Good summation.

I'm also in agreement that this wasn't a bad trade I just think it wasn't for a guy everyone wanted, the blockbuster deal. Who else would you get for Britton anyway? When you start to think more about this trade you realize no matter what happens it was a solid trade just like the Benson and Patterson ones. Low cost/high reward, solid moves.

eh, I know many of you will be surprised but I am not impressed. Jaret Wright for one year vs. Britton for several years? I don't think those are the kinds of "solid" moves I'm looking for.

Basically, the Yanks were going to pay 4M to buyout Wright. Instead they paid the 4M and got a bright young pitcher as a bonus. O's got played again.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quite simply, Britton is a replaceable commodity. It's better to stack potential starters who can move to the pen then it is to find a setup guy. We have a ton of middle/set up relief candidates. I don't think Wright is a stud, but he does have some upside while Britton's stuff was ok, but not spectacular.

Obviously we all hope this is part of a bigger picture, but I disagree that this was a bad trade. Keefer, Rakers, Parrish are three guys all coming off injuries that could be back in the equation next year and Birkens, Burres, Olson, Morris and of course Hoey will all gets looks as well. Guys like Salas and Liz might not be that far behind and you wonder if Johnson moved to the pen, would he increase velocity and consistency?

The one thing about all those names is that besides Olson, non really will be considered in a starting role at the big league level (Liz perhaps, but I doubt it). That means you move from your strength.

My problem with this trade is the timing.:confused:

Why now ? Why on November 12 when there are many better options out there ? Exhaust the first 10 options and then target Wright.

Why not let NYY buy him out and sign him as a FA. Maybe he would have cost a little more, but we would still have Britton. And in the big picture- does it matter whether we pay him 3 mill or 5 mill a year ?

Worst case scenario- Wright goes elsewhere via FA. Big deal. He isn't a "must have" kind of player.

Britton may not amount to much. But, Wright isn't much either. I was shocked looking at his career numbers- I was expecting his career stats to be much better than they are.

Trading 24 yr olds (with another 5 yrs under our control) that show a little promise for injury-prone, league-average or below 31 yr olds (and a one year rental) is the kind of moves that clueless franchises make.

Here we have finished in 4th nine years running and we are still making these kind of moves. THe Yankees have WON the division nine years running and they are trading older/injury prone players for young arms (Sheffield, Wright) deals. I wonder which team will continue to win and which one will continue to flounder.

Are we in Arizona Cardinal / LA Clipper territory yet ? Have we sunk that low ? :eek:

Here's a question: First off ignore the Britton--Wright trade.

What do you think you could get for Chris Britton in a trade?

What do you think you have to give up for Jaret Wright in a trade?

It is probably equal value or close to it.

But, it was unnecessary !

We could have both of them. The net result of this deal is we have one more suspect to throw into the SP mix with Bedard, Benson, Loewen, Cabrera, Penn, RLo, Olson. But, we have one less RP.

Or even better- we keep Britton and sign Padilla instead. Or Padilla and Lilly.

Why hurry up and seal a deal with Wright on Nov 12th ? Why not see what develops.

Here's a question: First off ignore the Britton--Wright trade.

What do you think you could get for Chris Britton in a trade?

What do you think you have to give up for Jaret Wright in a trade?

If you really wanted Jaret Wright, why not wait until the Yankees bought him out and then just sign him?

And what could you get for Britton? Well no one really knows for sure, but I think I would be looking for a team that had a young outfielder and/or power hitter for trade, not even necessarily at the MLB level yet.

FWIW,

This is the first time in his career that Jaret Wright has been traded.

CLE, SD, ATL, the teams he played for before NY had released him.

Baseball Reference Ten Most Comparable Pitchers to Jaret Wright through age 30:

1-Darren Oliver (972) :eek:

2-Jason Bere (965)

3-Rick Helling (961) :eek::eek:

4-Hank Johnson (956)

5-James Baldwin (956)

6-Scott Elarton (950)

7-Brett Tomko (947)

8-Sterling Hitchcock (942)

9-Esteban Loaiza (941)

10-Rodrigo Lopez (938) :D

If you really wanted Jaret Wright, why not wait until the Yankees bought him out and then just sign him?

And what could you get for Britton? Well no one really knows for sure, but I think I would be looking for a team that had a young outfielder and/or power hitter for trade, not even necessarily at the MLB level yet.

You aren't get that player for Britton...Britton could have been a solid piece in a big trade. He could have been a piece to Texas or TB for Tex or Crawford.

You aren't get that player for Britton...Britton could have been a solid piece in a big trade. He could have been a piece to Texas or TB for Tex or Crawford.

I wouldn't have minded hanging onto Britton if we couldn't get a good return. It's not like we have a surplus of positives in the bullpen.

Jaret Wright excites me even less than getting Benson (which didn't excite me).

Just because the Yankees could have bought out his country doesn't mean they would have. They have only three reliable starters right now and that's assuming they resign Mussina. If they hadn't traded Wright, I have serious doubts that they would have bought out his contract.

Just because the Yankees could have bought out his country doesn't mean they would have. They have only three reliable starters right now and that's assuming they resign Mussina. If they hadn't traded Wright, I have serious doubts that they would have bought out his contract.

Are you telling me that Jaret Wright was in their plans for 2007 but they just could pass on Britton? Come on. I wasn't born yesterday. They couldn't find a relief pitcher anywhere else so they plucked one "key" guy out of their rotation? Good lord.

Everyone knows they're gonna get that Japanese guy plus whatever other starter on the FA market that they want. It's not just coincidence that they're picking up 4M of Wright's tab which just happens to be his buyout amount. They already had that money budgeted. Trust me.

It is probably equal value or close to it.

But, it was unnecessary !

We could have both of them. The net result of this deal is we have one more suspect to throw into the SP mix with Bedard, Benson, Loewen, Cabrera, Penn, RLo, Olson. But, we have one less RP.

Or even better- we keep Britton and sign Padilla instead. Or Padilla and Lilly.

Why hurry up and seal a deal with Wright on Nov 12th ? Why not see what develops.

Was it really unnecessary? They can now trade some of the young arms. I'm not pretending that Jaret Wright is more than average but it does put a little more experience in the rotation and/or the pen. I wouldn't have cared if they didn't make the deal, but it's hardly a horrible deal like some are saying. It's Chris Britton. And while he was a bright spot this season, he's not that hard to replace. Hell, Rodrigo Lopez would probably do as well or better than him. It's not like they traded Chris Ray for Jaret Wright.

Are you telling me that Jaret Wright was in their plans for 2007 but they just could pass on Britton? Come on. I wasn't born yesterday. They couldn't find a relief pitcher anywhere else so they plucked one "key" guy out of their rotation? Good lord.

Everyone knows they're gonna get that Japanese guy plus whatever other starter on the FA market that they want. It's not just coincidence that they're picking up 4M of Wright's tab which just happens to be his buyout amount. They already had that money budgeted. Trust me.

Acquring Wright is not a bad move. It's not a great move either.

Trading Britton for him is a bad move though.

BTW, Matzusaka is a Red Sox if they can sign him.

And of course Wright wasn't in their plans but that's not because he is some awful pitcher. It is because they want to spend 100 million on guys who will only be a little better but obviously, more durable and bigger names.

Some people will defend the Front Office, Wright or Wrong.;)

Archived