The negativity has got to stop!!! (MAJOR RANT)

orioleslist

There's a reason I hardly wade in to the GT these days, and when I do, I'm barely commenting on the game but constantly cracking jokes or trying to be funny in response to others. Trying to do my part to balance the ledger in there. But they've definitely gotten worse since last seasons success. I'd say the rest of the forums are just more bi-polar than usual, the same sort of things that have always led the way in O's Talk are still there, just in more frequency and quicker to turn from bad to good (and vice versa).

Actually, I don't see a lot of difference in the game threads between this year and last year ...... maybe a slight downward trend, but that's it.

The difference is that the negativity of this year's game threads are more fresh in everyone's minds, so to a degree, we are probably remembering last year's game threads with at least some rose-coloring in our glasses.

Here's the thing ...... unless you have a team like the 2001 Mariners, who went 116-46 and steamrolled their way through the regular season from beginning to end, it's easy to come in and poke holes in just just about every team throughout the season in a sport where there are 162 games a year and 9 innings per game, whether they are 93-69, 88-74, or 67-95. And that is what can be annoying to some ........ posters that are always jumping on the team when they suck, and either don't post at all when they are doing well, or at best, they'll make a few token positive posts, like "Way to go, B-Rob," or "Clutch hit, Adam," so that they can then point to said token positive posts, and say, "You see. I don't JUST post when we're doing bad. I also say some positive things, too."

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh, that's what I get for not proof reading myself. I meant "with last season's success" as I noticed the same thing last year, too. Meant to say it started with the success during last season, not cropped up as a result.

Well, seeing that you are annoyed with yourself about it, I just gave you a greenie to try to cheer you up. ;)

It's a game - played by talented, flawed humans. Their failures are not as serious as dealing with cancer. Their losses are not anywhere like the death of a loved one. We ALL want them to win every time that they step on the field, but win or lose I just appreciate the people that make me laugh in the GT...there is no better way to watch a game than with people who don't take themselves (or baseball) too seriously. Save the angst for stuff that really matters.

I realize most of them are young, immature members who came on board in 2012 and never experienced the dark years of 1998-2011, and yet, I can't stand their hijacking of recent game threads anymore.

Do you know that most are young and immature? Or are you just projecting and insulting people?

The team is 2-10 in one run games since the ASB. Their closer leads the league in blown saves. They had three straight walk-off losses in Arizona after entering the late innings with the lead. And people are surprised that there are some very frustrated fans who might want to let off some steam on a chat board?

When I was in college I read a book by Crane Brinton called "The Anatomy of a Revolution" that studied the American Revolution, French Revolution, Russian Revolution, etc. The book's main thesis is that revolutions happen when there is a sudden turn for the worse after a period of rising prosperity--Brinton calls this phenomenon the "revolution of rising expectations" or something like that.

That's what you're seeing on OH these days--people were excited by last season and the team's good play early in the season, but the sudden spate of frustrating losses since the ASB has left a lot of fans feeling very angry. Not enough to storm OPACY with pitchforks, at least.

Very well put. To the OP, it's a message board dude. If you don't like the posts then don't read'em or don't respond. It doesn't bother me at all that people bash on players or praise them. Who the hell cares!? They're just posts. There was no need to start a thread on this "negativity." Waste of space on this board.

It's a game - played by talented, flawed humans. Their failures are not as serious as dealing with cancer. Their losses are not anywhere like the death of a loved one. We ALL want them to win every time that they step on the field, but win or lose I just appreciate the people that make me laugh in the GT...there is no better way to watch a game than with people who don't take themselves (or baseball) too seriously. Save the angst for stuff that really matters.

I don't know man...death, suffering, and Orioles losses sound pretty close to me. ;)

Just what I need; the original poster, Orioleslist, telling fans how to be fans. I don't participate in game threads. I don't care what other posters say about the team or it's players or staff. If a poster violates the rules I am confident the mods will take the necessary actions. If you don't like what you are reading, perhaps you're the one who should move on. Or stay out of the game threads. But spare me the lectures.

Very well put. To the OP, it's a message board dude. If you don't like the posts then don't read'em or don't respond. It doesn't bother me at all that people bash on players or praise them. Who the hell cares!? They're just posts. There was no need to start a thread on this "negativity." Waste of space on this board.

To many the OH is a community not a message board. And posts aren't "just posts" but part of an ongoing conversation. Feel free not to read this or respond.

Sorry about all the wasted space though...

To many the OH is a community not a message board. And posts aren't "just posts" but part of an ongoing conversation. Feel free not to read this or respond.

Sorry about all the wasted space though...

What a great post. Not sure why people don't get this point. Many of my posts are more like "instant messages" where I eagerly wait for replies, rather than just posts to show how smart I am. But, to each their own I guess.

What a great post. Not sure why people don't get this point. Many of my posts are more like "instant messages" where I eagerly wait for replies, rather than just posts to show how smart I am. But, to each their own I guess.

I think many folks look at it that way. All persons are encouraged to post facts. Opinions are often ingnored. There is no contest here and no prizes to be won. To each his own. I enjoy your posts.

I think many folks look at it that way. All persons are encouraged to post facts. Opinions are often ingnored. There is no contest here and no prizes to be won. To each his own. I enjoy your posts.

I never let facts get in the way of my good opinions! :D

I've got to say that it amuses the hell out of me to read multiple responses in this thread that say "all people have an equal right to their opinion, if you don't like it then don't read it and respond". My question is do these people realize how hypocritical their posts are or is this some sort of really clever satire/irony?

Yeah, I always thought the same, but trying to reason with those people isn't a good course to take so I just let it go.

Archived