Rosenthal: Orioles interested in Beltran

SticksandStones

Of the veteran players, Wieters is third on my list for exploring trade options, behind Markakis (his $15M would go a long way) and Hardy (I still want something to happen with St.Louis for a good young starter, plus he's a FA next year). Honestly, I think the deal is if Markakis goes then we go for Beltran. Beltran was a CF and is now a RF, he's never played LF and it's unlikely we move Markakis to LF at this point. I get that we have an opening at DH, but I doubt Beltran is looking to be a primary DH at this point. I think he'll want to play the field at least 4-5 times a week.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beltran is going to be a terrible buy for whatever team ends up with him. Don't get me wrong, he's a HoF player. But he's aging, not durable, and now a liability in the field. He can still hit, but there are some disturbing trends there too - particularly his walk rate dropping off the table all the way down to 6.3% from being over 10% nearly every season of his career. His Contact% the last two seasons has also been much lower than in his prime years.

Every team under the sun wants Beltran this winter. He'll get 2 years/30 million, at least. Would I love to see Beltran in an Orioles uniform? Yes. Do I want to see the Orioles get him this offseason? No.

I thought you'd be a big fan of spending the big bucks?

I actually never was, that was a very popular misconception.

My view now (and then) is that the Orioles need to pick up players that we need when they become available. What's happened - during most offseasons -is that a lot of the big name talent is signed up leaving us with the table scraps year after year. To his credit, MacPhail managed to find some gems hidden in the scraps over the years and we got some decent production out of a few of our homegrown talents (Nick, Wieters (at first), etc.).

I did want Tex. I did want Prince. I wanted CC. I wanted Hamilton.

Only because I believed (at the time) that those guys would make us a better baseball team overall. I was weary of the Jay Paytons of the world and wanted a real name that could bring fans out as well as push us toward a championship.

Now we're in a precarious position of trying to decide who to trade, who to keep, who to let go and who to sign for the long term.

Beltran would have been a great signing 6 years ago. But like Vlad and Jim Thome we get these guys on the way out of their careers and I believe we should get them while they can produce for at least 3-4 years.

I've never once advocated for making an "FA signing just for the sake of making an FA signing" unless the contract was smart and the guy could produce for us. That's all I've ever wanted. That's all I want now! :)

MSK

Are the Orioles not always interested in top free agents. Interest and getting one is a whole different ballgame. We had the Tex,Fielder, etc. rumors and which one did we get. The usual interest and then they move along.

Tex was from Maryland and didn't sign here (which he should have by the way). Now I am glad that he didn't.

Of the veteran players, Wieters is third on my list for exploring trade options, behind Markakis (his $15M would go a long way) and Hardy (I still want something to happen with St.Louis for a good young starter, plus he's a FA next year). Honestly, I think the deal is if Markakis goes then we go for Beltran. Beltran was a CF and is now a RF, he's never played LF and it's unlikely we move Markakis to LF at this point. I get that we have an opening at DH, but I doubt Beltran is looking to be a primary DH at this point. I think he'll want to play the field at least 4-5 times a week.

Markakis: What are we going to get of value for moving Markakis other than salary relief? If we let him walk and give Beltran a 3/39 type deal than we saved a little and might increase offensive productivity.

Hardy: If we move him with the mindset of moving Manny back to short than shame on the O's. I wouldn't move Manny off of third because I see no scenario where he is a better shortstop than three bagger. If you move Hardy than you need either a 3B/SS and you had better get quality young pitching in return for the type off SS everyone should want to have.

Wieters: I think we could get some real value for him, but people might be unhappy at the next catching option we run out there because the defensive dropoff is likely to be huge. Could/would the Orioles get a good enough offer to move him? I would want a small haul for him and his importance to the O's seems to go above his play on the field.

Archived