Rosenthal: Orioles interested in Beltran

SticksandStones

It is ridiculous. We should be able to add one significant player without "breaking the bank".

Now...I'm not against trading Wieters. But, I would not be for trading Wieters just to clear salary.

Agreed. I'd trade Wieters. But if they have to clear money to add a FA, do they have enough to replace Wieters? I guess Beltran on a 2 year deal and Salty on a 3 year deal could be a plan. If they don't believe in Matt long-term.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We already knew they had to clear salary if they wanted to go shopping. Supposedly, we weren't willing to do that.

See, this was my point in the Kakes thread....how can Buck include Nick in that group? He's clearly not the player that the other three are.

Agreed. I'd trade Wieters. But if they have to clear money to add a FA, do they have enough to replace Wieters? I guess Beltran on a 2 year deal and Salty on a 3 year deal could be a plan. If they don't believe in Matt long-term.

I would hate to see what kind of torture Buck would inflict upon the pitchers to improve their TTTP to make up for Salty's lack of an arm.

I'm not convinced...what would the logic be in selling low (actually as low as his value has ever been) on Wieters? Then losing a draft pick to sign a player at the doorstep of his twilight years? I'm calling shenanigans...

The logic would be that if you don't believe Wieters is going to improve then trading him this winter isn't exactly selling low since you don't expect his value to get better, and we might be able to find another decent catcher for less $$ and use that $$ to significantly upgrade at DH/OF with Beltran.

I'm not sure yet if I agree with that logic yet-- mainly because I'm not sure how confident I am we can get an adequate catcher replacement-- but that's the logic, anyway.

Historically speaking, signing past-their-prime stars to a very high cost in money and dollars (and apparently in giving away good players now too) has been the Orioles' key to success, as we all know.

Who can forget the Derrek Lee, Vladimir Guerrero, and Sammy Sosa era?

It is frustrating seeing how much they worry about that. Just focus on getting hitters out and make your pitch.
Agreed. TTTP means nothing if hitters are just crushing balls out of the yard.

I've posted this a couple of times...but I think it's worth another:

AL Playoff teams defensive CS%:

Boston - 24%

Oakland - 24%

Tampa - 22%

Detroit - 18%

Cleveland - 27%

Archived