Feldman to the Astros

biggrthngibbons

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. Easy way to bump your payroll by $10 mil and have a solid innings easter while you're at it. It's really a solid move for the Astros, IMO. It wouldn't have been a solid move for us or many other teams.

I agree its a solid move for the Strohs. They have a cost controlled roster for the next couple years and Feldman will be a solid mentor for their young studs Appel and whichever one they settle on in the upcoming draft (there are 2).

Can somebody please show this Feldman story to Peter Angelos, explain to him that this is the market in 2013 and, if he truly cares to see a SUSTAINED good baseball product in Baltimore, please sell the team. This is not to say I wanted Feldman back at 3/$30m but you have to spend on somebody unless you have a killer farm system and the Orioles most certainly do not.

So we can close the books on the Feldman trade

The O's got 2 months of a mediocre pitcher in a futile playoff run

The Cubs got their closer and #5 starter, and I have projected 35 saves for Strop and 15 wins for Arietta.

and the Astros pick up Feldman for a reasonable (in 2014) 3yrs/30 million.

I remember how everyone defended the rental assuming the O's would probably bring back Feldman.

Giving up two pitchers with multiple years of big league experience who were cost controlled, throw in the mid to high 90's, was way too much for a two month rental of a guy you apparently didn't even like very much.

DD has been fleeced in every deal he has made

He was even fleeced today signing a non-tendered pitcher to a deal 50% above his arb value.[/quote

In retrospect, it appears that the Orioles may have overpaid for renting Feldman. However, I don't look at this deal as a fleecing by the Cubs. The Oriles acquired a needed innings eater for a failed starter (Arrietta) and a guy that they lost complete trust in. ( Strop) Both of these players needed a change of scenery and have benefitted from it. Further, I don't think that the orioles failure to resign Feldman is indicative that they did not like him very much, They knew he was in his walk year and the risk involved. it was a business decision based on the length of the contract that he was seeking IMO.

BTW, good luck on those projections. How many saves does Strop have at the major league level? I think he has one.

The Cubs got their closer and #5 starter, and I have projected 35 saves for Strop and 15 wins for Arietta.

and the Astros pick up Feldman for a reasonable (in 2014) 3yrs/30 million.

I remember how everyone defended the rental assuming the O's would probably bring back Feldman.

Giving up two pitchers with multiple years of big league experience who were cost controlled, throw in the mid to high 90's, was way too much for a two month rental of a guy you apparently didn't even like very much.

DD has been fleeced in every deal he has made

He was even fleeced today signing a non-tendered pitcher to a deal 50% above his arb value.[/quote

In retrospect, it appears that the Orioles may have overpaid for renting Feldman. However, I don't look at this deal as a fleecing by the Cubs. The Oriles acquired a needed innings eater for a failed starter (Arrietta) and a guy that they lost complete trust in. ( Strop) Both of these players needed a change of scenery and have benefitted from it. Further, I don't think that the orioles failure to resign Feldman is indicative that they did not like him very much, They knew he was in his walk year and the risk involved. it was a business decision based on the length of the contract that he was seeking IMO.

BTW, good luck on those projections. How many saves does Strop have at the major league level? I think he has one.

Lets not also forget, which for some reason a bunch of people do, Strop was out of options. He couldn't be sent down in the midst of his crap fest, so the Orioles would have lost him to waivers for absolutely nothing, or been forced to keep him around and hope he would put it together and torpedo the season even faster.

Lets not also forget, which for some reason a bunch of people do, Strop was out of options. He couldn't be sent down in the midst of his crap fest, so the Orioles would have lost him to waivers for absolutely nothing, or been forced to keep him around and hope he would put it together and torpedo the season even faster.

Great point that I obviously had forgotten.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Considering that Strop was a quality arm the year before, it wasn't far fetch to think he would get himself sorted out.

Which of course, he did, now, could he have done that without a change of scenery, we will never know, but the fans had turned quickly on him.

There is no doubt that the guy has great stuff. As Shanedawg pointed out, he was out of options, so sending him to the minors was out of the question because he would have been claimed.

Hmm...interesting that you're suddenly singing the praises of Strop and Arrieta, as opposed to when they were on the Orioles:

"What a waste of a 96 mph FB strop is. Just like Gausman he can't throw it by anyone." -- webbrick2010, 6/12/13

"The pitching is just very bad this year. Nothing was done to upgrade it in the offseason, and Arrietta, Britton have proven themselves to be busts." -- webbrick2010, 6/12/13

"No way Seattle would make this trade. Arrietta is not worth more than a middling A/AA prospect." --webbrick2010, 6/20/13

When you get a moment, I'd love to see your explanation for why you considered Arrieta and Strop worthless bums when they were on the Orioles, yet think Duquette got fleeced by trading them for Feldman. Thanks!

Archived