Jen Royle: Orioles open to trading Valencia ( Traded to KC for OF David Lough)

Barnaby Graves

Still mulling this over, but my initial reaction is I like this move. Lough is at a place on the age/experience curve where he has a decent chance to get a little better, and if his defense really is as good as dWAR and fWAR suggest, he could be as valuable as McLouth for a lot less money.

Also, it may be worth noting that Lough hit much better on the road (.815 OPS) than in the spacious KC ballpark (.635). OPACY may help boost his numbers.

I think the team is in a pretty good spot now to spend some money for an impact bat at DH (if there is someone available who meets that description), and/or a starting pitcher.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1143182.jpg

KC. Has. Two Right Handed DH only players.

That is all.

Yeah, I'm guessing that they have probably traded Butler, pending physicals. Why else would they do this? Plus the trade would almost surely not be with us, since it probably not be done in two separate trades in that case.

KC. Has. Two Right Handed DH only players.

That is all.

You think we should get one of them?

Where does Urrutia start the year? I'm thinking AAA and a replacement for poor production from either LF or RF after 4-8 weeks.

I also think some of DD's love for Peguero is misplaced. The guy might be decent in a year or two, but I'm not seeing him for 2014. Too many Pearce, Reimold, Pequero, Urrutia too sort out. I like all of them individually, but we'll see how many make the OD roster.

I'm actually rather impressed that DD was able to get a piece this potentially valuable for Valencia. The guy has about as many question marks as Valencia had ultimately, but with this many tools Lough has quite a bit more upside. And if nothing else, defense doesn't vanish as easily as hitting ability does so worst case scenario you have a solid defender to use as your 4th outfielder. We suddenly have an even more gaping void at DH now, but I'm ok with seeing this team go into spring seeing if they can squeeze a starting left fielder out of Peguero/Reimold/Pearce/Lough. Assuming Lough's defense doesn't regress inexplicably I don't think it would be a stretch to think that this could really work out.

Fun stats: Fangraphs actually had his outfield UZR last year at 14.5, good for 9th best in the major leagues. That's actually pretty noteworthy as the guy only played 90 games, so with that UZR average would have been top 3 in the majors over 162 games last year. Granted, UZR is a bit of a funky stat, it can be aberrational, but this is still really encouraging stuff. All the numbers suggest Lough had an elite year defensively with decent offensive numbers. Not a bad consolation prize for seeing them sit out the Choo sweepstakes.

If you had posted a proposal of this trade yesterday, I would have thought you were drinking the kool aid.

Wasn't on board initially, but after reading some of the comments on here and finding out more about him, I think this was a pretty shrewd move by Danny boy.

I think hitting in Camden will see his offensive stats go up, which means he will produce at least as much as McClouth for a much much cheaper price.

I like it.

The Os aren't going to have guys making $5M at every position. We have to take a chance on some $1M and minimum wage guys somewhere. This guy has a pretty good resume.

Pretty good resume?? After 315 AB's in the majors at 28 years old? LOL!

He might flop or he might become a late bloomer like Luke Scott.

If you think it is a joke for the AL East, maybe you should look up Ichiro Suzuki's numbers last year over 555 PAs and $6.5M. Every team, including those in the ALEast, take chances on guys like Lough.

Did you really just compare Ichiro to David Lough? Have mercy.

I thought you were rethinking this deal. I see you didn't. That is okay. I just think

you are wrong on this. IMO

I simply don't understand all the hate. This kid had THE BEST WAR for rookies last year. I'm not a big WAR guy simply because I don't fully understand what all determines the number, but that is impressive. Why is there such concern for him not being a big bopper? Do we no longer have the silver slugger SS, the HR champion and Jones on our team any longer?

I simply don't understand all the hate. This kid had THE BEST WAR for rookies last year. I'm not a big WAR guy simply because I don't fully understand what all determines the number, but that is impressive. Why is there such concern for him not being a big bopper? Do we no longer have the silver slugger SS, the HR champion and Jones on our team any longer?

Great point. IF this guy is going to start, I'd like to see him work on his patience.

Considering he could be our best defensive outfielder, and he's no slouch with the bat, I don't understand how you can dislike this trade.

Valencia is the kind of guy we were once reminded "grow on trees." :P

You have to hate the deal because the Orioles did it, they made a move that wasn't signing Choo for Elevnty Million dollars! It doesn't matter how "logical," or "good," the move is; all that matter is that the Orioles did it and therefore i must hate it.

Also, Peter Angelos because there.

We need guys that can get on base. Lough had a .351 OBP away from KC last year, mostly due to his inflated BA away from KC. If Lough really becomes an everyday guy then he can be the on-base guy the lineup really needs in say the 2-hole, or the 8-hole.

Archived