Balfour speaks...

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible that all physicals come with a recommendation from the Orioles Dr. and that is always followed within the organization. Like, everyone has a job to do and they do it? Is it possible that all deals are subject to an up down vote without discussion based on the Dr's recommendation? That the front office asked the Dr. whether there were any circumstances that he would sign off on it? And he said one year with an option and that was that?

Is it possible that all physicals come with a recommendation from the Orioles Dr. and that is always followed within the organization. Like, everyone has a job to do and they do it? Is it possible that all deals are subject to an up down vote without discussion based on the Dr's recommendation? That the front office asked the Dr. whether there were any circumstances that he would sign off on it? And he said one year with an option and that was that?

No no no...that can't be. It has to be that PA drove his old ass down to the warehouse and told DD to find a reason to void the deal...yeah that's the ticket. DD's only spent the past month or so trying to iron out a deal with Balfour, only to have PA swoop in at the 11th hour and nix it.

I mentioned in the other thread:

If the Orioles are being too cautious, then some other team with give Balfour two guaranteed years easily. If Balfour and his agent and all of these doctors think he's the epitome of health, then why not take the 1 year deal with 2nd year option?

If the Orioles are being too cautious, then some other team with give Balfour two guaranteed years easily. If Balfour and his agent and all of these doctors think he's the epitome of health, then why not take the 1 year deal with 2nd year option?

He wants that guaranteed money!

I have been out of the country but I have heard no such 1 year offer made by the O's ... IMO the O's are backing out for some reason (possibly $$ )but our 2014 closer will be from in house.

Because he could be "healthy" and still perform badly. Or he could blow out his elbow, or his knee.

What I want to know is if they didn't just include language that would have nullified a second year if he injured his shoulder.

Because he could be "healthy" and still perform badly. Or he could blow out his elbow, or his knee.

What I want to know is if they didn't just include language that would have nullified a second year if he injured his shoulder.

The "Lackey" language? I think the union said they wanted no ore of those deals.

He wants that guaranteed money!

I have been out of the country but I have heard no such 1 year offer made by the O's ... IMO the O's are backing out for some reason (possibly $$ )but our 2014 closer will be from in house.

Yeah I get it...it was more rhetorical. If all money is the same, except that the 2nd year vests based on how healthy he was the first year (which I assume was what the deal probably would have been), then why not take the restructured deal if your the epitome of health? I get why Balfour didn't want to and that's his prerogative. But why is he allowed to be risk averse and the Orioles aren't?

I get why he wouldn't want to do it but then again why is he allowed to be risk averse and the Orioles aren't? And I would assume that any restructured deal would have had a vesting option just based on how healthy he was in year one and not necessarily on how well he performed (but I could be wrong).

Now Angelos accountants have final say on any contracts the O's sign. I bet those accountants are high-fiving each other after "saving" the O's $15 million over the next 2 years. I'm sure there's a great 27 year old in AAA who will make a great closer. The O's credit w/ potential free agents must be near zero. Now the O's can go back to making Wow offers, slightly below offers that won't be accepted because no one wants to come to Baltimore. I have to give Angelos credit, at an age most people need their diapers changed, he is still managing to ruin my favorite sports franchise! Being a fan of this team is so heart-breaking. :vader:

I can't wait until Angelos goes to "a better place". :angryfire:

No no no...that can't be. It has to be that PA drove his old ass down to the warehouse and told DD to find a reason to void the deal...yeah that's the ticket. DD's only spent the past month or so trying to iron out a deal with Balfour, only to have PA swoop in at the 11th hour and nix it.

or Angelos wanted the total value of the contract lowered, not cancelled.

#marbles

Archived