Orioles/ Mets talking Ike Davis

SilentJames

I wish I felt a different way, but it is what it is. There is NO WAY this organization pays CD what he will be worth. It will take 5/100 at minimum and that just ain't happening.

It has to happen. They have to pay someone don't they? Duquette says he reserves FA money to sign our own players, in so many words. He implies it at least. I think they have to get it done. Now Matt W., is another story.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was reported that the Mets and Orioles had discussed Markakis before and during the winter meetings. I lve the idea of trading Markakis for Davis, and saving another 12 million right now. If only they would convert that savings into Tanaka.

I would love this idea. However, lets be real, if we do deal Markakis and save ourselves $12 mill, PA is only going to pocket it. He won't redistribute it out.

I know it's not an original thought to compare Chris and Ike, but when we acquired Chris in 2011, he had put up the following lines in 2010/2011 for Texas:

2010: .192/.279/.292/.571

2011: .250/.296/.408/.704

Here is Ike over the past two seasons:

2012: .227/.308/.462/.771

2013: .205/.326/.334/.661

There's no reason to expect anything close to the same turnaround that Chris had, but they are both big left handed power hitters who need(ed) a change of scenery. Camden Yards would help his numbers, and there were signs of him getting straightened out in the second half last season. If he can be had cheap, I'd be very interested in Davis. But that also means you have a lot of wild card position players (Davis, Reimold, Urrutia, Almanzar, Peguero, Pearce).

I would love this idea. However, lets be real, if we do deal Markakis and save ourselves $12 mill, PA is only going to pocket it. He won't redistribute it out.

Redistribution into trust funds perhaps...

A friend of mine back in college was in one of his son's or nephew's place in Phoenix and said it was nuts. Sports cars everywhere, etc.

We need every starter we can get. I can't see how they could give up Britton, who did show some signs of life BEFORE in June, right before we got the great Scott Feldman.

This!

The fact we have signed no starters (or virtually nobody for that matter) is sickening.

I know it's not an original thought to compare Chris and Ike, but when we acquired Chris in 2011, he had put up the following lines in 2010/2011 for Texas:

2010: .192/.279/.292/.571

2011: .250/.296/.408/.704

Here is Ike over the past two seasons:

2012: .227/.308/.462/.771

2013: .205/.326/.334/.661

There's no reason to expect anything close to the same turnaround that Chris had, but they are both big left handed power hitters who need(ed) a change of scenery. Camden Yards would help his numbers, and there were signs of him getting straightened out in the second half last season. If he can be had cheap, I'd be very interested in Davis. But that also means you have a lot of wild card position players (Davis, Reimold, Urrutia, Almanzar, Peguero, Pearce).

I'd compare Ike to Reynolds; not Chris, and frankly, I'd rather have Reynolds than Ike.

Looks like even last year he had very OBP against right handers. His career numbers against Righties is .

256 .356 .471 .827

Those should improve from going from a very pitcher friendly park to a very hitter friendly park. I mean he is terrible againt lefties but he could be a decent platoon guy at DH.

Should've just signed Hart...

Definitely agree on this one. Should have signed Hart or traded for Morrison or traded for Fister. We should have signed a guy like Mujica. Opportunity has been plentiful. Nothing but bad press and low risk signings is all that has blossomed thus far. It's sick how badly this organization is run.

It has to happen. They have to pay someone don't they? Duquette says he reserves FA money to sign our own players, in so many words. He implies it at least. I think they have to get it done. Now Matt W., is another story.

You would hope.

However, Duquette lies and nothing he or the FO have shown me, leads me to believe that CD will be an Oriole 2016.

This is what I think will happen: The FO is hoping that he doesn't hit 50 bombs again so he can't ask for the moon in an extension. However, since its Boras, they will after he hits 44 this season. Davis's attitude and personality will help the O's get close to a deal, but it will fall through and he will be gone. Enjoy the draft pick.

Looks like even last year he had very OBP against right handers. His career numbers against Righties is .

256 .356 .471 .827

Those should improve from going from a very pitcher friendly park to a very hitter friendly park. I mean he is terrible againt lefties but he could be a decent platoon guy at DH.

This is sort of reasonable. He has an .827 career OPS vs RHP and .602 vs LHP. That makes him a younger Wilson Betemit (.819/.636), basically.

But Betemit was signed for 2 years at $2.75M with a vesting option. Since Davis is making let's say $3M this year, that gives him about negative $1-2M trade value. So sure - if the Mets take an organizational player in exchange and kick in $1M, I'm in favor of acquiring Davis.

This!

The fact we have signed no starters (or virtually nobody for that matter) is sickening.

Duquette said he has happy with our starters! That comment alone tells me what to expect from him. Please don't tell me he said that as to not offend the current group of starters either, that's a load of crap, they know they were: 28th in ERA last year.....

256 .356 .471 .827

He does mash RHP. Younger Wilson Betemit.

Super status is scary. Mets will need to put in cash.

ERod is laughable for him.

<PRE>

I Split G PA R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS GDP BAbip tOPS+

vs RHP as LHB 418 1271 278 67 1 55 172 173 285 .256 .356 .471 .827 27 .295 115

vs LHP as LHB 232 440 82 14 1 12 47 34 126 .204 .268 .334 .602 10 .263 57

vs LH Starter 121 397 43 83 19 1 15 51 33 105 .231 .300 .414 .714 9 .282 85

vs RH Starter 321 1314 153 277 62 1 52 168 174 306 .246 .344 .441 .785 28 .288 105

</PRE>

Provided by <a href="http://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Baseball-Reference.com</a>: <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=davisik02&year=Career&t=b&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#plato">View Original Table</a><br>Generated 12/27/2013.

Archived