Orioles/ Mets talking Ike Davis

SilentJames

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No WAY I give up Mummey for Davis! Unless, as you say, they're kicking back some cash in return. In fact, they'd have to pay all of Davis's salary and pay for the upkeep on Tom Davis's Hawaiian-shirt collection.

Wait, what? I was thinking of more-or-less valueless guys from the O's system - Mummey was once a real prospect, sure, but he's had major injuries every single season, and over the last two years has a .650 or so OPS as a 23/24 year old in A+ ball.

Probably not. Now Justin Smoak on the other hand...

Is the whole Smoak thing an on going joke at this point or do people really still want him so badly after he has played like Reynolds all these years?

Reynolds

.233 .329 .464 .793

Smoak

.227 .314 .386 .700

Wait, Reynolds is better and can be had for about the same dollars and not give up a player.:scratchchinhmm:

Is the whole Smoak thing an on going joke at this point or do people really still want him so badly after he has played like Reynolds all these years?

Reynolds

.233 .329 .464 .793

Smoak

.227 .314 .386 .700

Wait, Reynolds is better and can be had for about the same dollars and not give up a player.:scratchchinhmm:

It's quite easy to do that looking at their career numbers, but looking at last year looks like two players headed in opposite directions. Reynolds will be heading into his age 30 season having just come off a .220/ .306/.393 with an OPS+ 96 compared to Smoak who will be 27 and put up a .238/.334/.412 and an OPS+ of 113. Oh, btw their salaries aren't close even if you figure Reynolds at a reduced rate on single year deal for say $2mil(last year he made $6 mil), Smoak makes the minimum and is under team control until 2017.

Reynolds

.233 .329 .464 .793

Smoak

.227 .314 .386 .700

He's heading into his age 27 season, hit .260/.361/.477 vs. RHPs last year and his Home/Away splits suggest that he could benefit from getting out of Safeco. A Smoak/Pearce platoon could probably make some beautiful music in OPACY.

Is Davis enough of an upgrade over Henry to warrant giving up a prospect and paying 3M+ in arb.?

I would rather just go w/ Urrutia. I was about to post here how I couldn't understand how/why the Mets would be asking so much for a guy whose bat looks like it's getting worse right as he's starting to get expensive ... but then, I saw this quote from Ricciardi on MLBTradeRumors.

"One of the things that is happening in baseball right now, that I scratch my head with [is that] young players are so overvalued right now, and I think falls in with the draft picks, too," Ricciardi says. "No one builds through the draft. You add through the draft." Ricciardi says that, to him, proven big-league players are more valuable.

I'm not even sure I quite understand this. He thinks prospects/MiLer's are too overvalued ... but he wants a prospect/MiLer in return for Davis? A pretty good one at that.

I would rather just go w/ Urrutia. I was about to post here how I couldn't understand how/why the Mets would be asking so much for a guy whose bat looks like it's getting worse right as he's starting to get expensive ... but then, I saw this quote from Ricciardi on MLBTradeRumors.

I'm not even sure I quite understand this. He thinks prospects/MiLer's are too overvalued ... but he wants a prospect/MiLer in return for Davis? A pretty good one at that.

He's not the GM. It's what Sandy Alderson wants that matters.

Well, you can't honestly expect him to make sense out of his own philosophy to justify a trade for one of our best prospects can you? ;)

He's heading into his age 27 season, hit .260/.361/.477 vs. RHPs last year and his Home/Away splits suggest that he could benefit from getting out of Safeco. A Smoak/Pearce platoon could probably make some beautiful music in OPACY.

So he would be good enough to bat vs RHP in the 7 or 8 spot for us? There has been a group on here for years that have been in love with him. I understand he was a highly regarded talent, but he hasnt come through. Dont see him ever becoming anything more than he is right now. I guess if you are giving up peanuts then why not? Just never had the crush on him that others have had.

So he would be good enough to bat vs RHP in the 7 or 8 spot for us? There has been a group on here for years that have been in love with him. I understand he was a highly regarded talent, but he hasnt come through. Dont see him ever becoming anything more than he is right now. I guess if you are giving up peanuts then why not? Just never had the crush on him that others have had.

Since he's much better against righties than either Wieters or Hardy, I'd probably bat him 5th or 6th. And I've never been a huge proponent of trying to acquire him either...until this offseason. We've been left with very few options for addressing the hole at DH, and he is far and away the best option left on the table in terms of cost, potential, and years of control. Plus, there is still some real upside there- he's heading into his age 27-32 "prime" years and his Home/Away splits give me hope that getting out of Safeco could spark a late blooming for the guy(.711 OPS at Safeco in 2013, .782 on the road). Could be another Chris Davis situation with a change of scenery.

Since he's much better against righties than either Wieters or Hardy, I'd probably bat him 5th or 6th. And I've never been a huge proponent of trying to acquire him either...until this offseason. We've been left with very few options for addressing the hole at DH, and he is far and away the best option left on the table in terms of cost, potential, and years of control. Plus, there is still some real upside there- he's heading into his age 27-32 "prime" years and his Home/Away splits give me hope that getting out of Safeco could spark a late blooming for the guy(.711 OPS at Safeco in 2013, .782 on the road). Could be another Chris Davis situation with a change of scenery.

Personally I'd rather try to trade for Butler.

I prefer Smoak to Ike Davis as well although I think the cost for Smoak will be more, but not prohibitive.

I am in agreement here, I too prefer Smoak. I was really tired of the Smoak smack during Trea's non-stop pining, but I do think that he would be available now at a reasonable cost. I would be all over trying to put together a trade with Seattle.

Archived