Its now 2014 and we haven't made any notable moves

AlbionHero

Yeah, and DD coming out with a "we didn't see value in the market, but we have resources to work on possible extensions and additions during the season."

That would be spin, spin, spin for... we are a poor excuse of a franchise with an owner who doesn't care about winning and even though I am a solid GM, there are only so many of these gigs out there, and I don't want to spend another decade out of work, so I'm going to say things from time to time that make me sound foolish, but its not me, its really that guy, ya know?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would be spin, spin, spin for... we are a poor excuse of a franchise with an owner who doesn't care about winning and even though I am a solid GM, there are only so many of these gigs out there, and I don't want to spend another decade out of work, so I'm going to say things from time to time that make me sound foolish, but its not me, its really that guy, ya know?

PA may well have hired Duquette just to take the blame for his nonsense. The fact is this franchise operates unlike most others in the league: handcuffed by an owner who prioritizes profit over production and is content to sit back and lose for 14 consecutive seasons. The behavior of this FO after experiencing winning baseball these last two seasons is poor any way you look at it. This team doesn't have to cry poor, but they do because of the owner and only the owner.

The market has nothing to do with the Orioles' spending. We were number 2 in the league in payroll from '95-'97 and number 1 in '98. Where are we now?

The day Angelos sells this team cannot come soon enough.

I don't agree with this post either. It is a jab at a brilliant guy who may or may not be on board with the direction that ownership has set out for him. You and I don't know that.

I don't agree with this post either. It is a jab at a brilliant guy who may or may not be on board with the direction that ownership has set out for him. You and I don't know that.
If DD is truly on board with this course, then he loses some respect in my eyes. I have to believe he is doing his best with in silly constraints.

If DD is truly on board with this course, then he loses some respect in my eyes. I have to believe he is doing his best with in silly constraints.

I agree. I don't think DD is truly on board but what's he supposed to do? I don't mean this to slur Dan, but a gig is a gig. He has to put up with the constraints to have even a chance to work his magic.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Orioles announced they have signed Quintin Berry to a minor-league contract.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">January 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think DD is a solid GM. I said so when he was hired and people were going nuts and I still say so from time to time. But, DD has had plenty of near incoherent ramblings which usually manifest themselves when he is having to tow the party line about payroll, Intl spending, free agency, etc. I get it...It's tough defending things that are near indefensible but I'm not buying this smartest guy in the room stuff.

Frankly, I'd be disappointed if he were "on board" with managements direction, but I get he's got a job to do and these positions are precious. I'm not suggesting he should walk, but I seriously doubt Mr. International came to Baltimore with a plan to largely sit out the Latin American market or abstain from all things posting fee related...Just not the way brilliant GM's operate. I also have a hard time believing that the guy who traded for and signed Pedro to a six year extension is now fundamentally opposed to pitching contracts beyond 3 years.

So while I may not "know" what is said or not said inside the warehouse, I am comfortable reaching my own conclusions based on the evidence in front of us.

I think DD is a solid GM. I said so when he was hired and people were going nuts and I still say so from time to time. But, DD has had plenty of near incoherent ramblings which usually manifest themselves when he is having to tow the party line about payroll, Intl spending, free agency, etc. I get it...It's tough defending things that are near indefensible but I'm not buying this smartest guy in the room stuff.

Frankly, I'd be disappointed if he were "on board" with managements direction, but I get he's got a job to do and these positions are precious. I'm not suggesting he should walk, but I seriously doubt Mr. International came to Baltimore with a plan to largely sit out the Latin American market or abstain from all things posting fee related...Just not the way brilliant GM's operate. I also have a hard time believing that the guy who traded for and signed Pedro to a six year extension is now fundamentally opposed to pitching contracts beyond 3 years.

So while I may not "know" what is said or not said inside the warehouse, I am comfortable reaching my own conclusions based on the evidence in front of us.

If Pedro comes along, I am certain that Dan would be all for his extension. He does have a budget here. And I bet he does not spend his days lobbying Peter to have that raised. It's a brave new world in baseball anyway.

If Pedro comes along, I am certain that Dan would be all for his extension. He does have a budget here. And I bet he does not spend his days lobbying Peter to have that raised. It's a brave new world in baseball anyway.

This. I think Dan does believe in this 3 year max for pitchers. Pedro was a MAX case scenario. Once in a career chance.

And the Orioles belong to Angelos. It's not a public trust. We hope he is benevolent, but we have no reason to believe that he will be. In his mind, he may be paying back himself for previous investments. You just don't know how he views this. Maybe it is going to pay for the Millwood and Guerrero contracts.

I can't say you're wrong but, to me, the Orioles are a pubic trust. This is the problem when you have a non-fan buy our beloved Orioles. This man should be an Orioles fan first, a Managing General Partner second. Other clubs will spend that money, and we will not.

Archived