Per Ghiroli: "Hunter expected to take over as closer..."

MemorialStadKid

So, obviously, neither the Rays nor the A's called out the Orioles. The A's, in fact, clearly did not want Balfour. They made that very obvious. The teams had absolutely nothing to do with the doctors' comments, including the comment that the Rays' doctor understood the Orioles' concerns.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to add to this, the O's doctors didn't even look at an enhanced MRI while the Rays doctor did.

I have this terrible fear that Hunter is going to give up a walk off homer on opening day and everyone is going to hate this move right off the bat.

I already hate it, the Orioles should have signed a closer. I don't trust Hunter and he has a lot to prove. I just wish there was a way to make him earn the role, but ST games prove absolutely zero.

I'm not entirely disappointed in this development, but at the same time...I've weary of Hunter's L/R splits. That said, I didn't want Johnson back. Didn't like that we didn't use any of that money to sign *new* (see: good) talent. On top of that, we totally botched the Balfour deal and were made to look like idiots by the Rays (who are a much better organization than us). We completely floundered on any starting pitching free agents. It would have been prudent if the O's went hard after guys like Tim Hudson, Bronson Arroyo, Bartolo Colon, or Matt Garza. Yes, there's still Jimenez (inconsistent, erratic, costs a draft pick), Santana (so-so, costs a draft pick) and Burnett (best option, O's will most likely fail out on tis as well)...but to pass on so much talent just because they're ridiculously cheap is asinine.

This organization frustrates me so much. You'd think after 2012 and 2013 they'd take the next step. Fact is this club has done NOTHING to take the next step. Zip, nada, zero. Instead status quo, resign arbitration eligible guys, and sign cheap talent and hope they catch lightning in a bottle. All the while relying on a patchwork rotation with zero *good* depth. Guess what, Dan? You can sign guys like Burnett, Hudson, etc. and have your prospects *gasp* develop! You rushed Gausman last year when he clearly didn't have a well developed 3rd pitch. You didn't sign any veteran (good) starting pitching since you got here. And honestly...without MacPhail your tenure here would largely be a failure.

I'm a fan of what Dan has done from an infrastructure standpoint...but he's clearly a puppet for Angelos who has continued to drive this franchise in the ground.

That's an accurate summary, but one more thing. If you're going to trade Johnson and his 101 saves, fine, but get more than a AAA ballplayer in return. That is extremely frustrating.

Hunter would be a great closer in certain situations--if the other team doesn't have any lefties coming up or on the bench, and if he's well rested. Would anyone here feel comfortable with Hunter protecting a one run lead with David Ortiz or Robinson Cano coming up? Has he ever pitched three games in a row?

I'd rather hear that the Orioles were going by a closer by committee.

Hunter will probably be fine. Yes his splits versus lefties are bad, but I think people are overstating just how many quality lefties teams have in their everyday lineup + sitting on their bench to pinch hit versus Hunter in the 9th.

The only team I'd be worried about is the Skanks and their lineup of lefties+switch hitters. :(

The problem is that lefties collectively hit for an .857 OPS against Tommy Hunter last season. You don't need to be David Ortiz to have a chance to take Tommy Hunter deep, because Tommy Hunter turns every lefty into David Ortiz. Even Munenori Kawasaki took Tommy Hunter deep last year.

If you have a two run lead, then you can use Hunter as your closer as long as can potentially face no more than one lefty batter.

If you have a one run lead, then you can use Hunter as your closer only if there are no lefty batters available to face him.

Of course, managers facing the O's this year will make a point of keeping a lefty or two available on the bench to bring in against Tommy Hunter in the ninth inning.

How do you predict something that happened in the past? Inquiring minds want to know........:scratchchinhmm:

I predict that one day weam's mild and harmless attempt at droll humor will hit you with the impact of a grand piano dropped from the sixth floor.

Who cares anymore? There is nothing anyone can do to change what is happening. All people can do is complain and moan on a message board. What good does that do? Nothing. It just shows you are a weak human being. You are going to do what you are told and watch on TV and pray for the best. Now just be quiet an hope for the best, it's your only choice. If complaining about every move makes you feel better, you need to get a life.

So, obviously, neither the Rays nor the A's called out the Orioles. The A's, in fact, clearly did not want Balfour. They made that very obvious. The teams had absolutely nothing to do with the doctors' comments, including the comment that the Rays' doctor understood the Orioles' concerns.

The Rays team doctor certainly called out the Orioles.

The Rays team doctor certainly called out the Orioles.
That is the same guy that decided he could diagnosis Machado and got it wrong, right?

If so, that's kind of like Jesse James complaining to the local sheriff that somebody stole his wallet.

The one without any aid of an X-Ray or MRI who said something to the effect of "It looks like a torn ACL to me"? Are we going to keep using this anecdote to somehow question this doctor's competence?

Sure, why would he open his mouth in that situation if he didn't want publicity?

Pretty sure the Rays didn't demand he make a spot diagnosis.

Whether he should have said anything or not is one question. He speculated on what Machado's injury looked like to him. I guess we could argue semantics but I'd hardly call what he did a medical diagnosis. He offered an opinion, absent of a medical diagnosis, as to what he guessed Machado had injured. He was wrong. I'd require a lot more than that to question his capacity as a doctor. How often have Oriole doctors/trainers suggested an injury is nothing serious and day to day and it turns out to be a lot more serious.

I've always thought that the real problem was that he said it within earshot of the O's dugout, and Buck really didn't need an outsider with no evidence or authority telling his team that their most exciting young player had just sustained a major injury. It may not be bad doctoring, but it's never smart (or good sportsmanship) to comment on another team's players.

Archived