Per Ghiroli: "Hunter expected to take over as closer..."

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited to see what Tommy can do in this role. Maybe he'll get shelled; maybe he won't. I don't know. I think he has a chance to succeed because he has pretty good command of the fastball and he throws really hard.

Would it have been nice to have Balfour? Of course. I'm bummed. I think he'll be healthy and very effective for the Rays. But, it's time to stop complaining about it. It's over. Reminds me of the Mark Reynolds fiasco last year. Like, people just couldn't get beyond it. We argued about whether Reynolds should be on the team all season and the reality is that it didn't really matter.

Hopefully, we reinvest the money for a closer on Burnett or another quality SP or a Chris Davis extension. Time to move on from Balfour.

I'm excited to see what Tommy can do in this role.

Maybe he'll get shelled; maybe he won't. I don't know. I think he has a chance to succeed because he has pretty good command of the fastball and he throws really hard.

Would it have been nice to have Balfour? Of course. I'm bummed. I think he'll be healthy and very effective for the Rays. But, it's time to stop complaining about it. It's over. Reminds me of the Mark Reynolds fiasco last year. Like, people just couldn't get beyond it. We argued about whether Reynolds should be on the team all season and the reality is that it didn't really matter.

Hopefully, we reinvest the money for a closer on Burnett or another quality SP or a Chris Davis extension. Time to move on from Balfour.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

Tommy Hunter.

Thanks.

Hunter could be a killer in the closer role if Wieters decides to frame his pitches low, forcing the batter to go after it instead of his favorite thing of throwing the fast ball right down the middle of the plate.

This stinks though, more of the "what ifs" because the team is too cheap to invest in a sure thing.

MSK

$12 million over 2 years.

He's been healthy and effective for four years straight. His averages: 2.47 ERA, 1.057 WHIP, 9.2 SO/9, 2.82 SO/BB, 158 ERA+.

We're going to look like idiots. The Rays and the A's both have the medical records...and they both called out the O's. And rightfully so.

This organization is a joke. Angelos is The Devil.

You do not know what will happen. When you say the organization is a joke that

takes in the players. The team is damn good. Why can't you just wait to see how

the season plays out? WhAt will you say if the O's get into the playoffs?

Hunter could be a killer in the closer role if Wieters decides to frame his pitches low, forcing the batter to go after it instead of his favorite thing of throwing the fast ball right down the middle of the plate.

This stinks though, more of the "what ifs" because the team is too cheap to invest in a sure thing.

MSK

This is a delusion shared by many of the benighted here. There are no sure things in baseball.

You do not know what will happen. When you say the organization is a joke that

takes in the players. The team is damn good. Why can't you just wait to see how

the season plays out? WhAt will you say if the O's get into the playoffs?

Of course I'll wait until the season plays out. I'm just frustrated that this club hasn't done anything to upgrade the starting pitching which was below average last year.

The Orioles active roster career in Relief

As you can see, outside of O'Day... Tommy Hunter is a pretty good in house candidate for the job.

Hunter's only problem as far as his Orioles career is concerned is that he could never successfully pitch into the fifth inning, which made him a piss poor starter. Unfortunately, these fifth innings are all that O's fans remember when they think about the dude, but in reality, he's a shutdown pitcher in one-inning appearances. He has the ability to throw gas when he doesn't have to worry about pitching several innings.

Ultimately, I think the closer experiment is going to work out well for him and O'day will be an awesome 8th inning guy. I think O'Day is a better candidate for closing, but they may be considering using Hunter as trade bait if they can get his value up.

The Orioles active roster career in Relief

As you can see, outside of O'Day... Tommy Hunter is a pretty good in house candidate for the job.

Hunter's only problem as far as his Orioles career is concerned is that he could never successfully pitch into the fifth inning, which made him a piss poor starter. Unfortunately, these fifth innings are all that O's fans remember when they think about the dude, but in reality, he's a shutdown pitcher in one-inning appearances. He has the ability to throw gas when he doesn't have to worry about pitching several innings.

Ultimately, I think the closer experiment is going to work out well for him and O'day will be an awesome 8th inning guy. I think O'Day is a better candidate for closing, but they may be considering using Hunter as trade bait if they can get his value up.

The key to the O's CL situation is not presenting whomever it is with so many save situations

MSK

If that's what you believe then it won't make a bit of difference who we have out there because Wieters is apparently just screwing everyone up with his horrendous pitch framing.

4+R laugher rule

If the O's had only run JJ out there when the lead was 1 or 2 runs it would have saved him around 20 appearances. No idea how many were part of three day stretches when he pitched consecutively.

Unless your designated closer needs work don't put him in with a three run lead.

Pretty simple.

If the O's had only run JJ out there when the lead was 1 or 2 runs it would have saved him around 20 appearances. No idea how many were part of three day stretches when he pitched consecutively.

Unless your designated closer needs work don't put him in with a three run lead.

Pretty simple.

You need a manager to play along.

Archived