So who goes?

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And who would be better this year? I don't even see an argument for any other conference.

The closest thing to objective analysis I've seen is from Sagarin.

The Sagarin ratings have the SEC ranked as the second best conference in 2006 behind the Pac10.

CONFERENCE          CENTRAL MEAN    SIMPLE AVERAGE  TEAMS  1  PAC-10              (A) =  81.86      81.48  (  1)     10  2  SOUTHEASTERN        (A) =  80.23      79.88  (  2)     12  3  BIG EAST            (A) =  78.12      78.58  (  3)      8  4  BIG TEN             (A) =  76.32      77.33  (  4)     11  5  BIG 12              (A) =  74.23      74.11  (  5)     12  6  ATLANTIC COAST      (A) =  73.74      72.67  (  6)     12

The closest thing to objective analysis I've seen is from Sagarin.

The Sagarin ratings have the SEC ranked as the second best conference in 2006 behind the Pac10.

CONFERENCE          CENTRAL MEAN    SIMPLE AVERAGE  TEAMS  1  PAC-10              (A) =  81.86      81.48  (  1)     10  2  SOUTHEASTERN        (A) =  80.23      79.88  (  2)     12  3  BIG EAST            (A) =  78.12      78.58  (  3)      8  4  BIG TEN             (A) =  76.32      77.33  (  4)     11  5  BIG 12              (A) =  74.23      74.11  (  5)     12  6  ATLANTIC COAST      (A) =  73.74      72.67  (  6)     12

Be interesting to see what those numbers would be if you looked at the top 10 teams in the SEC versus the 10 in the PAC 10.

Be interesting to see what those numbers would be if you looked at the top 10 teams in the SEC versus the 10 in the PAC 10.

I don't get why that would matter. Obviously if you take the two worst teams out of the SEC, they would be the best conference. Then again, if you remove Duke and UNC from the ACC, they would probably move up as well.

I don't get why that would matter. Obviously if you take the two worst teams out of the SEC, they would be the best conference. Then again, if you remove Duke and UNC from the ACC, they would probably move up as well.

Well, the other thing would be how much are those rankings effected by all of these good teams(4 teams in top 12, 5 teams in top 25, with Georgia just missing out) beating each other out??? I am not sure how Sagarin works.

Well, the other thing would be how much are those rankings effected by all of these good teams(4 teams in top 12, 5 teams in top 25, with Georgia just missing out) beating each other out??? I am not sure how Sagarin works.

I'm guessing much of it is based on how the teams have done out of conference.

The central mean weighs the middle more heavily eliminating the anomolies, i.e. the ACC won't be hurt as much by having a Duke whereas the simple weighs every team equally.

I don't know the formulas or anything, but it is my understanding that every team is rated and the conference ratings are built on those. I know it takes into account things like quality wins etc...

Well, alot of years they are right.

Just because you don't like them and there politicing doesn't mean they aren't the best conference.

I don't disagree, really. Like I said, it's debatable. I'm not saying that my opinion is "fact", I'm just saying that it's my opinion. Frankly, I don't care that they were politicing. It's a shame that they feel like they have to do that, though.

To me, it boils down to this :

Had UM lost to OSU by a field goal in week 3, they would be playing for the national title. Florida is an 8 point dog. Really think Michigan would have been an 8 point dog at a neutral site? Of course not. Know why? Because they're better than Florida. The two best teams aren't playing for the national title and I think that's a shame.

Just because you don't like them and there politicing doesn't mean they aren't the best conference.

And a lot of years they are wrong.

I actually agree 100% that the SEC is the best conference from top to bottom, and I really don't think it's all that close. But that doesn't mean that their champion should feel entitled to a shot in the national championship.

I guess, like Burds said, there is no answer. Florida deserves a shot. So does Michigan. Michigan deserves it more so, IMO, because I think they're the better team, but it is what it is.

I do think and have stated many times that the SEC is the best conference top to bottom. But that is just my perception.

I posted the only conference rankings I've come across that try to objectively rank 'em and surprise, SEC is not the best. It's an outstanding conference but I think a lot of use have so bought into the hype that the reputation of the SEC might be better than the conference is.

I do think and have stated many times that the SEC is the best conference top to bottom. But that is just my perception.

I posted the only conference rankings I've come across that try to objectively rank 'em and surprise, SEC is not the best. It's an outstanding conference but I think a lot of use have so bought into the hype that the reputation of the SEC might be better than the conference is.

Three things :

1. DING

2. DING

3. DING

Archived