So who goes?

Hank Scorpio

I find it fascinating for someone associated with the University of Florida to make that argument. While he wasn't the head ball coach at the time, it wasn't too long ago that the University of Florida won the national championship in a rematch. Does Urban Meyer think UFs National Championship is somehow tainted because they had already had their shot and didn't deserve to be playing for a title? I don't think the BCS was in place at the time, but if we apply Urban's reasoning, UF should not have been playing in that game since they already blew their shot against FSU.

Was that pre-BCS?

That doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that could happen now, because of the SEC championship game, and the other conference championship games.

That's another nail in Michigan's coffin as well: you can make a good argument that between the timing and the position of the teams, Ohio State-Michigan WAS the Big Ten Championship Game.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are correct about how the system has worked in the past. However the goal of the BCS is to match up the two best teams in the country. Who are the two best teams in the country? I think most would agree it's Michigan and OSU. So if we get a rematch the BCS has met it's objective regardless of how the system has worked in the past.

Personally I hate rematches but this year I think the gap is pretty large between UF and UM which is why I'd hold my nose and pick UM/OSU for Glendale if I had a choice.

No it isn't.

The goal of the BCS is to keep big-bowl money in the hands of the big football conferences. Any good that happens is gravy.

It doesn't matter if Ohio State and Michigan are the two best teams (which I agree they are). The way the system is set up, and has worked previously, they shouldn't get that bid.

If the people who run the BCS just want to make it up as they go along, then they should just say so.

God, I hate the NCAA.

Was that pre-BCS?

That doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that could happen now, because of the SEC championship game, and the other conference championship games.

That's another nail in Michigan's coffin as well: you can make a good argument that between the timing and the position of the teams, Ohio State-Michigan WAS the Big Ten Championship Game.

You certainly could. The argument a team that wasn't even good enough to win it's conference has no place playing for a National Champhionship has some merit. But again, if the goal is the two best teams, I don't know that Florida belongs.

No it isn't.

The goal of the BCS is to keep big-bowl money in the hands of the big football conferences. Any good that happens is gravy.

It doesn't matter if Ohio State and Michigan are the two best teams (which I agree they are). The way the system is set up, and has worked previously, they shouldn't get that bid.

If the people who run the BCS just want to make it up as they go along, then they should just say so.

God, I hate the NCAA.

Alright, the stated goal, the stated purpose of the BCS is to matchup the two best teams even if it's real goals are something more sinister.

Alright, the stated goal, the stated purpose of the BCS is to matchup the two best teams even if it's real goals are something more sinister.

Which is the problem. Which is why I want the NCAA to get involved. Which is also why I DON'T want the NCAA to get involved.

You certainly could. The argument a team that wasn't even good enough to win it's conference has no place playing for a National Champhionship has some merit. But again, if the goal is the two best teams, I don't know that Florida belongs.

They probably don't. But that's the way the system is really designed, despite what is claimed.

I think Michigan is the best team to play Ohio State, however, you cannot put them in the National Championship game, IMO.

Worst case scenario, Michigan wins. You'd have to split the championship, since both teams had beaten each other.

Florida, although they didn't blow anyone out, has only lost ONE game in the SEC, which is very hard to do. They deserve to be in the championship game, even though I think Michigan is more talented.

Personally, I have always felt the BCS should have a clause that says you cannot compete for a BCS championship w/o winning your own conference. It's hard to justify a team being a National Champion, without even being it's own conference champion.

No it isn't.

God, I hate the NCAA.

I agree with this. This is why the only teams that ever get talked about for championship games are USC, Ohio ST, Mich, ND, Auburn, LSU and the Florida schools. It's all about money and it kind of gets old to have the same teams in the discussion every year. It's also why teams like WVU, Louisville, Rutgers can barely get mentioned as contenders. God we need a playoff. There's no reason why football is the only sport that doesn't have some type of playoff. You have an playoff of the BCS ranked teams and then have bowl games for the other teams. There's no way they don't make just as much money. Anything would be better than arbitrarily picking two teams(more or less at random)to play for a championship.

Worst case scenario, Michigan wins. You'd have to split the championship, since both teams had beaten each other.

BS

Whoever wins the championship game is the champion. Its that easy.

I just can't agree with any opinion that says it should be anybody but Michigan and Ohio St. in the championship game. They are clearly the two best teams, IMO. Its ridiculous that people think the fact that they've already played should somehow keep Michigan out of the game.

If its not a Michigan / OSU game, I'm not watching it. And I'm not a fan of either team, they're just the two best teams in college football, and the two teams that deserve the bid the most.

BS

Whoever wins the championship game is the champion. Its that easy.

I just can't agree with any opinion that says it should be anybody but Michigan and Ohio St. in the championship game. They are clearly the two best teams, IMO. Its ridiculous that people think the fact that they've already played should somehow keep Michigan out of the game.

If its not a Michigan / OSU game, I'm not watching it. And I'm not a fan of either team, they're just the two best teams in college football, and the two teams that deserve the bid the most.

Well the Coaches don't agree with you, because they just voted and said Florida is the better team.

Nobody can say with 100% certainty that Michigan is better than Florida or vice versa (a playoff would help, but that's here nor there). We can say with 100% certainty that Ohio State is better than Michigan, since we Ohio State has already proven it and beaten them.

Well the Coaches don't agree with you, because they just voted and said Florida is the better team.

Nobody can say with 100% certainty that Michigan is better than Florida or vice versa (a playoff would help, but that's here nor there). We can say with 100% certainty that Ohio State is better than Michigan, since we Ohio State has already proven it and beaten them.

That's not the criteria though, if it was then Louisville or BSU or whomever can make the same claim.

I didn't see your answer about UM/OSU - if they played... Do you think UF's National Championship in 1996 was legitimate or should it have been a split title w/FSU?

I didn't see your answer about UM/OSU - if they played... Do you think UF's National Championship in 1996 was legitimate or should it have been a split title w/FSU?

I'd say if both teams finished the year with wins over each other, it's a split. Just because one team won last, doesn't mean that win was more important, IMO.

Of course, that championship happened pre-BCS, so FSU & Florida were forced to play each other in a rematch.

For me, personally, I really do believe that Michigan is better than Florida. However, I don't think you can deny Florida a title shot given what they've done this year. They won their conference, finished with only one loss (a controversial loss to Auburn) and they have more quality wins than Michigan. How do you tell them that's not enough, when Michigan didn't even win their own conference and already lost to Ohio State.

I refuse to accept a National Champion, who wasn't even their own conference's champion. Same reason, I didn't think Oklahoma should have played for a championship when they lost to K-State in the Big 12 title game a few seasons ago.

I refuse to accept a National Champion, who wasn't even their own conference's champion. Same reason, I didn't think Oklahoma should have played for a championship when they lost to K-State in the Big 12 title game a few seasons ago.

That isn't necessarily a reasonable approach either. Hypothetical... If Wisconsin beat Michigan they would of won the Big Ten as the tie breaker would of gone to them since their tie breaker is to give it to Wisconsin since OSU represented the B10 in the BCS most recently. Would that prevent you from accepting OSU as a potential National Champion?

I don't think not having a Conference championship should automatically eliminate a team from NC consideration.

We can say with 100% certainty that Ohio State is better than Michigan, since we Ohio State has already proven it and beaten them.

I won't even agree with this. Losing by 3 on the road isn't definitive proof that OSU is better than Michigan.

I'd say if both teams finished the year with wins over each other, it's a split. Just because one team won last, doesn't mean that win was more important, IMO.

Yes it does. Its the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. By definition its the most important game of the year. Whoever wins it is the National Champion.

Archived