So who goes?

Hank Scorpio

Well the Coaches don't agree with you, because they just voted and said Florida is the better team.

Nobody can say with 100% certainty that Michigan is better than Florida or vice versa (a playoff would help, but that's here nor there). We can say with 100% certainty that Ohio State is better than Michigan, since we Ohio State has already proven it and beaten them.

No we can't. We can say they are the more deserving school, but just because they beat UM at home by 3 doesn't mean we can say with 100% certainty that OSU is better. If the game was at Ann Arbor, you very well might be switching those schools around in that statement.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So now wins & losses don't determine who's better? Why even play the games in the first place, we'll all just vote.

I don't care if it's 3 points or 100, Michigan got beat = Ohio State is better.

So I guess Auburn is better than UF, so why is UF playing for the title instead of Auburn? Why is USC playing in the Rose Bowl over Oregon State?

No, head to head doesn't always determine who's better. Inferior teams beat better teams all the time.

You cannot justify penalizing Michigan for this fact, dude. You just can't.

To the contraire: As long as the NCAA employs this ridiculous method of determining a champion, the relative strengths of conferences and schedules is key to sorting the teams out.

If you think Michigan shouldn't be penalized for the Big Ten being down, then how do you justify keeping Boise State out of the title game?

As much as some people would want to see it, Michigan had its shot at Ohio State. Now Florida gets its turn. That's the way it is.

I think UM is better than UF, UF should be thanking God everyday for that lucky win against their old ball coach. With that said, I see the case for UF, and it's a strong one, so I'm not going to complain much.

BTW, any SEC guys want to complain about having to play a title game? Without that title game, OSU is playing UM for the championship.

To the contraire: As long as the NCAA employs this ridiculous method of determining a champion, the relative strengths of conferences and schedules is key to sorting the teams out.

If you think Michigan shouldn't be penalized for the Big Ten being down, then how do you justify keeping Boise State out of the title game?

As much as some people would want to see it, Michigan had its shot at Ohio State. Now Florida gets its turn. That's the way it is.

The problem is the voters (supposedly) rank the teams, best at the top and going down from there, all season long until it comes to the last poll where apparently they try to game the system for the outcome they think is just.

Until the NCAA comes to its senses and implements a playoff system I wouldn't have a problem w/UF/OSU if more voters think UF is a better team than Michigan. Unfortunately from all the commentary I don't think a majority (or even many) voters think UF is the better team. The commentary all seems to focus on all kinds reasons for UF leapfrogging UM other than UF being a better team.

When a voter says they moved UF over UM for any other reason other than they think UF is a better team than UM they have failed in their responsibility as voters.

See my previous post where I said you can make an argument for Boise State. Michigan beat everyone in it's conference except for the concensus #1 team in the country.

The Michigan had it's shot argument makes my stomach turn.

I'll ask this again : the early line is Florida + 7.5 points. Does anyone in their right mind believe that Michigan would have been more than a 4 or 5 point dog in a neutral stadium?

Except that Florida's "turn" will be in a much less hostile environment that gives them a better chance to win (although they still won't, IMO).

Sure you can...Florida flat out played better teams. No chance Michigan or OSU go through the SEC undefeated and they may not even get through with just 1 loss.

No chance?

How can you say that with a straight face?

At best, this is empty speculation. Obviously, we'll never know. I have always thought that the SEC was full of "good" teams, but I think the talent is slightly diluted.

No chance?

At best, this is empty speculation. Obviously, we'll never know. I have always thought that the SEC was full of "good" teams, but I think the talent is slightly diluted.

I agree. There is a decent chance either of those teams goes undefeated playing the same schedule UF played.

No chance?

No, i am sorry..No team in the country could be asked to go into a few of LSU, Tenn, Ark, Fla or Aub and come out with wins...And that doesn't even talk about Ala or SC. Hell, beating these guys at home would be hard enough.

Sorry, to expect anyone to do that is unrealistic.

No, i am sorry..No team in the country could be asked to go into a few of LSU, Tenn, Ark, Fla or Aub and come out with wins...And that doesn't even talk about Ala or SC. Hell, beating these guys at home would be hard enough.

Agree to disagree.

No way to prove it either way, but I think the SEC is widely overrated. Lots of "good" teams, none great.

What about playing the schedule LSU played?

Their schudule was tougher since all their tough games were on the road, however they only had 4 tough games all year. OSU and UM probably would have lost at least one game with that schedule.

However, that doesn't factor into the UF vs UM arguement. Considering the way the SEC is setup, some teams don't have a tremendously difficult schedule.

BTW, I'm interested in what the SEC will do in the bowls games. I say that because as a whole, I don't think they have one out of conference win against a top 18 team. Cal at Tenn is their marque win. It would be nice to see some better out of conference games. I'm not bashing the SEC, it's a very good conference, but it's hard to tell if it's all that some make it out to be when they haven't done too much to impress outside of playing each other.

To expect anyone to do that might be unrealistic, but it's more unrealistic to say there's no chance. UF almost did it, and I don't even think their a great team.

Archived