So who goes?

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, no apologies necessary. What can you do with a crap system? We'll agree to disagree about the strength of the SEC.

SG - I'll take some of that action after seeing USC choke yesterday. I don't think they'll move the ball against UM.

Anyone hear Brentson Buckner justifying his vote on ESPN? Sweet lord, this guy has a vote in this mess? He didn't even know who Florida lost to.

We can ALL agree that the system is a joke.

Herbstreit is hitting the nail on the head.

For 7 weeks since Florida's loss to Auburn they were ranked behind Michigan. Now all of the sudden they leapfrog them?

Granted, Herbstreit's a Big 10 homer, but he is exactly right.

Whatever, I guess that's why I'm a financial analyst and not a voter. What's most annoying is that we'll have to hear Dan Patrick talk about this crap for the next month.

Urban was not the leader of that team... he had nothing to do with it. He is going to use all of the possible excuses he can to get his team to that National Championship. The 96 championship is over and has been, so there is no reason to bring it in to this equation.

He's the spokesperson for the program and if you take his comments to their logical conclusion one can conclude he thinks the program should never have been allowed to play FSU to win the National Title.

But I will give him credit, the whining may have worked and Lloyd Carr's display of class by not taking the high road may not have been UMs betst interest in this world where the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I just hope he coaches his butt over the next month. The Florida team that I've watched this season has no chance against OSU unless they improve a lot between now and then. If it's game that is decided by 10 or less points I'll be happy.

I just really disagree with this thinking that "Michigan had their shot." They lost by three on the road. If you want to make a different case for Florida, that's fine, but "Michigan had their shot" holds no water in my opinion.

There's just no good answer. It does sting a little bit when you hear someone that actually votes use this as an excuse (Brentson Buckner). That doesn't inspire a whole lotta confidence in the people that are making these decisions.

Both teams are deserving. You could argue that any number of 1 loss teams are deserving. You could argue that Boise State is deserving.

It is what it is.

There's just no good answer. It does sting a little bit when you hear someone that actually votes use this as an excuse (Brentson Buckner). That doesn't inspire a whole lotta confidence in the people that are making these decisions.

Both teams are deserving. You could argue that any number of 1 loss teams are deserving. You could argue that Boise State is deserving.

It is what it is.

The sad thing is, the controversy and all the attention and arguing will be used as an excuse by the college president's as to why the broken BCS system should continue instead of a playoffs. I'm just hopeful that BSU can step up and put up a good showing. If they are respectable maybe the majority of teams not in the BCS can band together and use their power to force a playoff system.

They'd be the BCS Champion, no doubt. But for an AP voter having to choose whom the better team is? The decision would likely be for UM because they won their last game, not necessarily because they are the better team or more deserving.

Well obviously it doesn't matter now since UF is going, but they would still be the more deserving team because they won on a neutral field and because they won the last game. Pretty much every sport's championship is based on the last game, not sure why this should be any different. Even if we had a playoff system, the same thing could happen, in fact it would be more likely to happen.

I think they got it right guys.

The Big 10 was not good this year.

The SEC was clearly the best conference in football.

Florida won that conference and beat alot of top ranked teams.

Yes, they looked unimpressive in a few games but so did Michigan. It happens. The Gators played the most freshman of any team in the country, so they were depending on alot of players who can't drink yet. You can't expect these guys to blow out teams every week. It doesn't happen in the pros, so why should we expect it to happen in college?

I don't think the Michigan fans can really be all that upset. They had their chance against OSU and they lost to them.

If Fla can beat OSU and Michigan beats USC, there is a good chance there is a split championship like there was a few years ago.

Well obviously it doesn't matter now since UF is going, but they would still be the more deserving team because they won on a neutral field and because they won the last game. Pretty much every sport's championship is based on the last game, not sure why this should be any different. Even if we had a playoff system, the same thing could happen, in fact it would be more likely to happen.

In other sports the teams playing for the title earned their way to that game, it's not decided subjectively. That is the big difference.

While it's highly unlikely Michigan still has a shot at a split title. If they blow out USC and the National Championship game is an awful game that UF wins in an unimpressive fashion would they'd only need to flip a few AP voters who have UF ranked ahead of UM. When championships are decided subjectively instead of objectively anything can happen.

I agree with this. This is why the only teams that ever get talked about for championship games are USC, Ohio ST, Mich, ND, Auburn, LSU and the Florida schools. It's all about money and it kind of gets old to have the same teams in the discussion every year. It's also why teams like WVU, Louisville, Rutgers can barely get mentioned as contenders. God we need a playoff. There's no reason why football is the only sport that doesn't have some type of playoff. You have an playoff of the BCS ranked teams and then have bowl games for the other teams. There's no way they don't make just as much money. Anything would be better than arbitrarily picking two teams(more or less at random)to play for a championship.

I agree there should be a playoff, but the same teams that are in the discussion every year as you say, are the ones that deserve to be in that discussion. Well except for Notre Dame. Don't forget the two Big 12 powerhouses either.

I think they got it right guys.

The Big 10 was not good this year.

The SEC was clearly the best conference in football.

Florida won that conference and beat alot of top ranked teams.

Yes, they looked unimpressive in a few games but so did Michigan. It happens. The Gators played the most freshman of any team in the country, so they were depending on alot of players who can't drink yet. You can't expect these guys to blow out teams every week. It doesn't happen in the pros, so why should we expect it to happen in college?

I don't think the Michigan fans can really be all that upset. They had their chance against OSU and they lost to them.

If Fla can beat OSU and Michigan beats USC, there is a good chance there is a split championship like there was a few years ago.

You cannot justify penalizing Michigan for this fact, dude. You just can't.

Archived