Tommy Hunter Today 2014

Il BuonO

Hunter looked great tonight. Better than yesterday. He was making so many great pitches and just not getting calls.

Damn impressive. Really mixed it up and was commanding the zone. Pitch both games of a doubleheader and come back and do that the next night..

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tommy just keeps getting it done. For all the people who pined about Johnson or that Hunter wouldn't be able to handle being a closer he's settling in nicely. Good use of the cutter tonight and the CB which he was squeezed on a couple times. Not trying to overpower people moving around the hitters sight line just enough to keep them off balance with pitch selection and location.

After the lead off double he was fine. The SO was a beautifully located FB that locked up Kubel.

Another little stat for you. Last year Tommy had a pretty good IS% at 14%, and this year there have been six runners on base when he entered the game. Want to take a guess at how many have scored?

IP 1

H 1

R 0

SO 1

BB 0

2014 ERA lowered to 2.53

SV 8 SVOpp 9

I feel confidant when he's out there.

Mostly because, win or lose, he's ........ "THROWIN' STRIKES."

If you beat Tommy, he'll make you earn it.

Since we acquired him in 2011, Hunter has pitched EXACTLY 300 innings.

Not including 5 intentional walks, Hunter has walked 47 batters in those 300 innings.

That's an average of 1 walk every 6.38 innings. :eektf:

Tommy just keeps getting it done. For all the people who pined about Johnson or that Hunter wouldn't be able to handle being a closer he's settling in nicely. Good use of the cutter tonight and the CB which he was squeezed on a couple times. Not trying to overpower people moving around the hitters sight line just enough to keep them off balance with pitch selection and location.

He sure seems to be getting nice depth and consistency on that curveball. Not too many rollers so far.

He sure seems to be getting nice depth and consistency on that curveball. Not too many rollers so far.

Yes, I like that he's starting guys off with it, too. It shows he thinks he can get it over for a first pitch strike. He doesn't have the command with it like he does of the FB, but it's nice to see the confidence that he's willing to drop it in there as a first pitch.

It's Koji awesome.

Uh, no.

Hunter as an Oriole: 5.7 K/9, 1.6 BB/9, 3.61 K/BB.

Koji: 10.6 K/9 , 1.2 BB/9, 8.95 K/BB.

Hunter's ratios are better as a reliever, but so are Koji's. Hunter's K/BB so far in 3014 is a career best 8.00, which is extremely good, but Koji's career ratio as a reliever is 11.15 and this year it's 17.0.

Anyway, to OFFNY 's point, Hunter rarely beats himself by giving out free passes. I do like that in a reliever (or a starter for that matter). He really does not strike out a lot of guys for someone who can dial it up to the mid-high 90's. I'm not going to complain about the job he has done so far; he's had some shaky saves but I'll take 8 saves out of 9 all year.

• 2 weeks later...

o

THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS:

Quite often in baseball, managers learn from their mistakes, and pay for it with a loss. The good news is that they learned something for future reference, the bad news is that it cost the team in the "L" column.

Last night, Tommy Hunter had another shaky and/or bad outing. In addition to it being the 2nd blown save of this young season, it also was one of numerous shaky outings ...... even when Tommy has been able to get the save, it was often a shaky save, made evident by his bloated season W.H.I.P. (1.674.)

The difference was that even though Tommy blew the save, the Orioles managed to pull out the win. So, now Bucky has been given the gift of knowledge, and he didn't have to pay for it with a loss.

The questions:

A) What exactly (if anything) will Showalter do with this knowledge ???

B) IS THERE anything that Showalter can do to rectify the situation ??? Would Hunter switching roles with either Britton or O'Day necessarily be better than continuing to go forward with the roles that they currently occupy ???

For the answers to these pending questions, stay tuned to "Oriole Baseball, 2014."

• 5 weeks later...

Archived