2014 New York Yankees

OFFNY

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Solarte. Mid-June. .299/.368/.458

This kid is really starting to annoy me. 3B should have been an absolute black-hole for the Yanks this year.

Soooooooo annoying!!!! Leave it to the Yankees to get so totally lucky with a minor league free agent. However, there is still a good chance his numbers fall off a cliff in the second half. But man, look at that OBP??? At what point in his career will Manny be able to carry .368 on base if he's not batting .325? :(

Tanaka threw a CG against the Mariners last night. 6 hits, 1 BB, 11 K's and 2 runs. His ERA is 2.02 (best in he AL) and he is 10-1. Beast.

Robby Cano got a two run bomb off him bottom nine to no avail. He didn't beat us yet....:thumbsup1:

Regarding Solarte, in the last 28 days he is hitting .235/.293/.353/.646 Which is probably closer to what we can expect of him going forward instead of the .865 OPS he had in April. I think he just had a lot of hits fall early.........he has an 8 year minor league career OPS of .733.

A major league source told the Daily News that the Yankees have in fact already reached verbal agreements with three highly-regarded infielders from the Dominican Republic:

Dermis Garcia ($3.6MM bonus)

Nelson Gomez ($2.8MM)

Christopher Torres ($2.6MM)

The source said that the Yankees were believed to have agreements in place with at least two other players.

The Yankees? total allotment this year is about $2 million, which they are expected to greatly exceed, with some speculation in scouting circles putting the number as high as $15-18 million.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/baseballinsider/source-yankees-agreements-players-big-push-coming-improve-farm-system-international-spending-blog-entry-1.1826474

• 2 weeks later...

Add up the 2014 salaries of Ellsbury, McCann, Soriano, Teixeira, Jeter, Kuroda, Beltran, and Sabathia and you get $145M. As of today they're a total of 1.8 wins over replacement.

The Yanks have 10 players making at least $10M this year, and every single one of them besides Tanaka is a disappointment. They're pumping their fists in celebration that Ellsbury and Teixeira are both on pace to be ~2 win players for their $20M+ salaries. Their DH platoon of Beltran and Soriano are 1.5 wins below replacement for $32M (the Cubs are picking up some of that).

Who needs a salary cap?

I can see them being happy about Tex, given his recent injury history but Ellsbury is the Shiny New Toy on offense. You should at least expect the first couple years to get good production.

Yea, they're probably ok with getting something out of Tex instead of having to pay him to sit on the DL while giving his ABs to Kelly Johnson.

McCann has been terrible - a 30-year-old catcher in year one of a massive deal OPSing .680.

It's awesome that the best of their free agent acquisitions (ignoring Tanaka for a moment) is costing them about $11M/win. I know they're awfully good at shuffling things around financially and getting production out of senior citizens, but this has all the makings of a train wreck for several years.

I know they're awfully good at printing money and getting production out of senior citizens.

I still think that the sons will sell before they go to the 300 million dollar payroll it would take them to win again.

Archived