Buck's decisions tonight

Frobby

Not true at all. I prefer to raise issues where I question the manager's decisions after wins. After a loss it feels like whining or piling on. If you don't want to read criticisms of the team, why visit this site at all?

Another thing -- saying a decision by the manager was horrible does not equate to saying the manager is horrible. Buck's a great manager but we don't have to agree with every decision he ever makes.

I think all of us are ok with criticism and analysis of Buck or any manager or we wouldn't be on the board. The level of arrogance and utter lack of awareness that we have about 1/1000th of the information used by Buck to make these decisions displayed by some posters deserves teasing/calling out. Some of the "analysis" of Buck's decisions are just plain dumb. In particular the total inability of some posters to empathize with managing/inspiring actual human beings is amazing. Those observations are not pointed at you.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In terms of in-game, I like the way Buck has embraced using shifts. We're not the leaders in that area, or the very first team to do it, but we're close. I think he is above average at utilizing his bullpen, though he is a little slavish to the save rule as COC says.

Where Buck really has excelled for us is setting the tone in spring training and in the clubhouse, and building a culture that at this point is almost self-sustaining. And that is huge.

We are no longer beholden to inadequate players. Buck has shown that, except for his Teagarden fetish, he will give a guy enough rope to hang himself. Especially defensively. He has brought along the young guys wonderfully, despite his rep for being a "veteranocity" guy. He is never opposed to improving the team at the detriment of one player. Because he feels it is his duty to have the best team out there for his other 24. That is why Buck is so great.

I think all of us are ok with criticism and analysis of Buck or any manager or we wouldn't be on the board. The level of arrogance and utter lack of awareness that we have about 1/1000th of the information used by Buck to make these decisions displayed by some posters deserves teasing/calling out. Some of the "analysis" of Buck's decisions are just plain dumb. In particular the total inability of some posters to empathize with managing/inspiring actual human beings is amazing. Those observations are not pointed at you.

"They. Are. Not. Robots."

Some of us come from backgrounds where we are not coddled and expect other adults to be able to operate in similar conditions.

I go to work and I do what my boss says. Do I have an "assigned role" yep, but if circumstances cause me to have to deviate from that role to accomplish the company's goals I don't curl up into a ball and cry, I do it.

For some reason folks think that if a hitter isn't batting cleanup it's the end of the world, of if a closer pitches in a non save situation it's an insult.

We are no longer beholden to inadequate players. Buck has shown that, except for his Teagarden fetish, he will give a guy enough rope to hang himself. Especially defensively. He has brought along the young guys wonderfully, despite his rep for being a "veteranocity" guy. He is never opposed to improving the team at the detriment of one player. Because he feels it is his duty to have the best team out there for his other 24. That is why Buck is so great.

Then explain the rule V fetish Buck and Dan have.

They have had success. Two very nice pieces. They know that if managed properly, the 25th man on a roster is not a deal breaker. They came into a system that was very top heavy and not adequate in positional player depth. Especially with any semblance of power.

They have had success. Two very nice pieces. They know that if managed properly, the 25th man on a roster is not a deal breaker. They came into a system that was very top heavy and not adequate in positional player depth. Especially with any semblance of power.

Was not specifically referring to the 25th man per se. Was talking the individual v. the state. Essentially.

One two, One two three four.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MlrsqGal64w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You see?

They have most certainly given a roster spot to an " inadequate player", no way Flaherty would have spent all of 2012 on the roster on merit alone. And they are still hiding the current one on the DL.

I know Matusz got it done but am I the only one who thinks he looks awful. 87-89 mph fastballs. He looked like he did as a starter. I saw an 87 mph fastball followed by an 84 mph changeup. Again, he got it done tonight but I don't like the way he looks. Probably the wrong thread for it, but Lombardozzi needs to make that play on Holt too.

Good thoughts. You wonder if Matusz has checked out a little mentally. His window as a starter is closing rapidly. When is he a FA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thoughts. You wonder if Matusz has checked out a little mentally. His window as a starter is closing rapidly. When is he a FA?

He's under team control for three years, including this one. He's a FA after the 2016 season.

I don't think he's checked out. He seemed pretty jazzed up when he was interviewed after last night's game.

Some of us come from backgrounds where we are not coddled and expect other adults to be able to operate in similar conditions.

I go to work and I do what my boss says. Do I have an "assigned role" yep, but if circumstances cause me to have to deviate from that role to accomplish the company's goals I don't curl up into a ball and cry, I do it.

For some reason folks think that if a hitter isn't batting cleanup it's the end of the world, of if a closer pitches in a non save situation it's an insult.

Ha! Yes, people like Tommy Hunter and the like seem so coddled and so vulnerable and so prone to curling into a ball and crying! You actually described the perfect closer...someone who can handle bad s*!t happening. Someone who actually gets evaluated by thousands and thousands of fans screaming at the end of the game and who within minutes of failure have television cameras and microphones shoved in their faces and are asked to explain their failure immediately after it happens. Boy, that sure does sound like someone who needs coddling and curls up into a ball when things don't go their way. :(

And I do believe work experience can be insightful into understanding the process that a ML manager goes through. Funny though that you talk about basically what you are told to do at work and do not mention how you lead others to produce their best over the long haul. Those experiences are way more insightful in my opinion.

Ha! Yes, people like Tommy Hunter and the like seem so coddled and so vulnerable and so prone to curling into a ball and crying! You actually described the perfect closer...someone who can handle bad s*!t happening. Someone who actually gets evaluated by thousands and thousands of fans screaming at the end of the game and who within minutes of failure have television cameras and microphones shoved in their faces and are asked to explain their failure immediately after it happens. Boy, that sure does sound like someone who needs coddling and curls up into a ball when things don't go their way. :(

And I do believe work experience can be insightful into understanding the process that a ML manager goes through. Funny though that you talk about basically what you are told to do at work and do not mention how you lead others to produce their best over the long haul. Those experiences are way more insightful in my opinion.

Right, because you have never seen a "closer" complain about being used in a non-save situation or be dismissive of poor results when used in a non-save situation?

As for discussion my following orders rather then giving them...it seemed more appropriate to the situation. Since I was talking about folks working outside of their accustomed roles. But if it makes you feel better, yes I have also asked folks who work under me to leave their comfort zones for the good of the team as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey! Good attempt at controversy! I can easily see where it could happen. On this team, if it were to be the case, that person would be traded, DFAd or released. There are problems and mistakes and things to get upset about with the Orioles. There are no internal controversies.

Archived