Buck's decisions tonight

Frobby

And then that guy will get all the benefits of being a "closer" until he fails.

BTW the A's don't currently have a closer and they seem to be doing OK.

Sorry. They don't count. They spent 10 million on a closer. SSS. Try as we may, we are not changing the way late inning baseball is played by groundswell.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As someone said before, the players like Buck because he looks out for them. When it is not counterproductive to the Orioles over the long haul

How is it not counterproductive to the Orioles in the long haul to have arbitration eligible pitchers collecting cheap saves? (That obviously doesn't include O'Day)

Interesting that this coincided with what happened with Aaron Harang last night. No hitter through 7 yet he was pulled due to pitch count. The "hey he's got a no hitter going rule." As much as teams preach pitch counts it is funny how when there is a no hitter on the line they usually let them go way over. I was actually surprised they pulled Harang.

How is it not counterproductive to the Orioles in the long haul to have arbitration eligible pitchers collecting cheap saves? (That obviously doesn't include O'Day)

I suspect that the Orioles Way does not include keeping closers for too long.

It's only money. And not mine. Or Buck's. So he can hide behind conformity ;)

You think Tommy would be out their the fourth day after blowing three in a row?

His leash isn't as long, yet.

My problem is the way he's managing the role. He just said he's concerned about keeping the pen fresh, but goes into robot manager mode and gets Hunter ready for the save. That's the perfect opportunity to not be a slave to the save rule. I'm not asking him to redefine the role, just back off the devotion a bit.

You guys have just made it so obvious...Buck is really, really dumb, and not nearly as perceptive as you guys are. I mean he just doesn't seem to understand how to use a bullpen. If only he spent like every day with these guys and knew exactly how they were feeling physically and knew something about how to earn their trust and pump up their self confidence and maximize the most out of them. I hope Buck logs in and reads this thread and learns that he and basically every other major league manager are just so dumb for assigning specific roles to players. :(

I think it was a horrible decision.

He's our ace regardless of what he does in 1 April performance.

But an ace who's on the shelf half the season or more because he was left out far too long by his manager when anyone with functioning eye balls could see he was completely done for the sole purpose of getting that silly W next to his name is the last thing we need and completely ridiculous.

Horrible decision by buck tonight.

I also don't see any reason at all Delmon young should EVER be playing in the field. Ever. Forever ever.

Yep sure is horrible. O's win the damn game and all some want to do is complain.

Yep Buck is terrible. Geez. Some fans will never be happy no matter what it

seems like.

Yep sure is horrible. O's win the damn game and all some want to do is complain.

Yep Buck is terrible. Geez. Some fans will never be happy no matter what it

seems like.

Not true at all. I prefer to raise issues where I question the manager's decisions after wins. After a loss it feels like whining or piling on. If you don't want to read criticisms of the team, why visit this site at all?

Another thing -- saying a decision by the manager was horrible does not equate to saying the manager is horrible. Buck's a great manager but we don't have to agree with every decision he ever makes.

Not true at all. I prefer to raise issues where I question the manager's decisions after wins. After a loss it feels like whining or piling on. If you don't want to read criticisms of the team, why visit this site at all?

I think that is a good point. I think if you are looking for young, cutting edge, innovation....Buck is lacking. If you are looking for a guy to build a winning club from the ground up, and manage in game adequately, Buck is your guy.

I think that is a good point. I think if you are looking for young, cutting edge, innovation....Buck is lacking. If you are looking for a guy to build a winning club from the ground up, and manage in game adequately, Buck is your guy.

In terms of in-game, I like the way Buck has embraced using shifts. We're not the leaders in that area, or the very first team to do it, but we're close. I think he is above average at utilizing his bullpen, though he is a little slavish to the save rule as COC says.

Where Buck really has excelled for us is setting the tone in spring training and in the clubhouse, and building a culture that at this point is almost self-sustaining. And that is huge.

In terms of in-game, I like the way Buck has embraced using shifts. We're not the leaders in that area, or the very first team to do it, but we're close. I think he is above average at utilizing his bullpen, though he is a little slavish to the save rule as COC says.

Where Buck really has excelled for us is setting the tone in spring training and in the clubhouse, and building a culture that at this point is almost self-sustaining. And that is huge.

I agree. No manager is going to give you everything and overall I like what Buck brings to the table.

Another thing -- saying a decision by the manager was horrible does not equate to saying the manager is horrible. Buck's a great manager but we don't have to agree with every decision he ever makes.

I was not pointing to you.

And his use of starters beyond their point of effectiveness is mostly because we have marginally effective starters. Or have had.

Archived