Buck's decisions tonight

Frobby

I didn't like that Buck let Tillman come out for the fifth. Buck has his boys and "Tilly" is one of them. Why risk your number one starter just to give him a shot at the win. I question Buck's voracity some times. The comment he made about saving the bull pen by keeping Tillman in for the fifth doesn't sit with me.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, how do we know this? Many have said here (COC sticks out in my mind) that Tillman can go longer than most. How do we know what stress's effect certain pitchers for sure. Tillman did look like he was pushing a bit, but can't a pitcher be pushed? Even in the cold? I know you need to keep the arm warm, but he was working fast and probably kept it warm between innings. Why does the cold mean it was such a risk that so many think he should have been pulled of arm safety? Really curious...

Definitely understand the feeling that Tillman should have been pulled on the last batter or two...just wondering why so many are pointing to the cold as such a risk....

While I do say and believe that ordinarily I will say that Tillman did look tired last night and if the only reason he was left in the game was so he could get the win then I disagree with the decision.

1. I know he got away with it, but he should have yanked Tillman one or two batters before he did IMO. He was laboring badly on a freezing cold night. That's how you hurt a guy's arm. Sure I know Tillman was well rested and he can go 120 on occasion, but 122 in five innings is a lot of stress on the arm.

2. I loved his decision to stretch Matusz to 2.2. Good time to pull him, too.

3. I like him letting O'Day close it out. Now we have five relievers available for the day game tomorrow.

4. He got Lough in there for defense and he immediately threw out Bogaerts out at 2B.

You and I both know that the only reason he stayed in the game is that the O's increased the lead to four runs.

He had Hunter up and was going to use him.

I didn't like that Buck let Tillman come out for the fifth. Buck has his boys and "Tilly" is one of them. Why risk your number one starter just to give him a shot at the win. I question Buck's voracity some times. The comment he made about saving the bull pen by keeping Tillman in for the fifth doesn't sit with me.

First of all, you mean veracity, not voracity, right? Unless Buck got too greedy at the clubhouse buffet.

But I think Buck was being truthful. I'm sure getting Tillman the win entered his mind, especially after the really tough loss he took in his prior outing (8 IP, 0 ER), but I expect saving the pen was an issue, too. We have a day game today and it's really tough for a reliever to pitch two days in a row when it's a day game following a night game. The way Buck managed the rest of the game shows he wanted to use as few relievers as possible today.

While I do say and believe that ordinarily I will say that Tillman did look tired last night and if the only reason he was left in the game was so he could get the win then I disagree with the decision.

The guy is a horse. HE has been there for Buck every time Buck has needed him. You don't pull a guy for failure until he fails which Tillman did not. The risking injury? Hmmm. I'm not with any of you guys on this. Pitching is an unnatural act. It either happens or it doesn't. Chris has been relatively healthy in his career. Whether a win means anything to us, or to the manager - I can assure you it means a lot to our Ace. He deserved the chance. Even if it cost us an April game. This was not some random 5th starter here. This was Chris Tillman.

The guy is a horse. HE has been there for Buck every time Buck has needed him. You don't pull a guy for failure until he fails which Tillman did not. The risking injury? Hmmm. I'm not with any of you guys on this. Pitching is an unnatural act. It either happens or it doesn't. Chris has been relatively healthy in his career.

You know how I feel about the win and pitching roles in general.

It was most certainly a gutsy effort on his part.

You and I both know that the only reason he stayed in the game is that the O's increased the lead to four runs.

He had Hunter up and was going to use him.

I would have disagreed with Buck's decision if he had brought in Hunter for the three-run save in that game. I disagreed with you (or at least, didn't hate Buck's decision) the other night, but there would have been no reason to yank O'Day last night.

You know how I feel about the win and pitching roles in general.

It was most certainly a gutsy effort on his part.

It does not matter when you are talking about a firry competetor like Chris who clearly wanted to be there. If you lose this game, you lose it. Chris deserved the chance. We don't do anything this year without Tillman.

I would have disagreed with Buck's decision if he had brought in Hunter for the three-run save in that game. I disagreed with you (or at least, didn't hate Buck's decision) the other night, but there would have been no reason to yank O'Day last night.

Bringing Hunter in the other night was justifiable. Last night would have been stat padding.

The guy is a horse. HE has been there for Buck every time Buck has needed him. You don't pull a guy for failure until he fails which Tillman did not. The risking injury? Hmmm. I'm not with any of you guys on this. Pitching is an unnatural act. It either happens or it doesn't. Chris has been relatively healthy in his career. Whether a win means anything to us, or to the manager - I can assure you it means a lot to our Ace. He deserved the chance. Even if it cost us an April game. This was not some random 5th starter here. This was Chris Tillman.

Agree here, there's way too much emphasis on pitch counts. These guys can make these amount of pitches, they throw between starts anyway, just throw a few less on the next bullpen session, if they think it's that big of a deal. I liked the call, he deserved a shot at completing 5 innings

First of all, you mean veracity, not voracity, right? Unless Buck got too greedy at the clubhouse buffet.

But I think Buck was being truthful. I'm sure getting Tillman the win entered his mind, especially after the really tough loss he took in his prior outing (8 IP, 0 ER), but I expect saving the pen was an issue, too. We have a day game today and it's really tough for a reliever to pitch two days in a row when it's a day game following a night game. The way Buck managed the rest of the game shows he wanted to use as few relievers as possible today.

That's right I don't think he was being entirely truthful. Tillman deserved the win against the Blue Jays no doubt but IMO that should not have been a consideration for him staying in last night. Tillman's health and preserving the lead were the main issues. Winning the first game of a four game series in Boston is huge. I thought he put that at risk by allowing Tillman to come out in the fifth.

That's right I don't think he was being entirely truthful. Tillman deserved the win against the Blue Jays no doubt but IMO that should not have been a consideration for him staying in last night. Tillman's health and preserving the lead were the main issues. Winning the first game of a four game series in Boston is huge. I thought he put that at risk by allowing Tillman to come out in the fifth.

I was fine with Tillman starting the fifth, I just don't think he should have finished it.

Preserving his Ace's mental health, as it were, was also a key. Monday is not the only Marathon in play here.

Archived