Report: Jones Damaged Goods?

SilentJames

Yep, our team doctors are so good they can diagnose a complex medical condition from medical history. They don't need to examine Jones in person like every other doctor in the world would want to do. There is no doctor who would diagnose a degenerative medical condition without a complete and thorough physical.

If this was really a problem, Jones' trip and physical could have been rescheduled, not canceled like it was.

I still don't see how Jones plays competitive baseball in Venezuela this winter if Seattle has any doubt about his health.

If an Oriole official leaked this information, the Orioles are looking for a way to save face on why this deal went away. Even if it was the least bit true, Seattle team officials would NOT be happy with the Orioles for their accusations on Adam Jones' medical history.

Exactly! I understand the O's concern, but there's no way on earth the Mariners would be letting him play winter league ball if they thought he had medical problems.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a huge StF guy, but why is he a jerk for this if it's true? Jones career is not damaged, just his trade value for the moment. Also, anyone who signs him as a free agent 6 years from now will do a physical and if it indeed is an issue now, it will be super obvious by that time. I'm sure the M's would do their own exam before giving him a long term deal themselves.

What did Jones do to deserve this other than possibly getting traded. I do not think the O's should trade for damaged goods but I also think it should be kept between the clubs out of respect for the player who seems very classy and is now having his image tainted by the press. It is no ones business. Good for the O's for figuring it out if true but still not right to leak it out of respect for the player. You think other times release info like this. Did the Mets when they obviously found something wrong with Torrelba earlier this year and nixed his three year deal. Shame on Bavasi if he tried to pass on damaged goods but again not fair to Mr. Jones.

Exactly! I understand the O's concern, but there's no way on earth the Mariners would be letting him play winter league ball if they thought he had medical problems.

Is that really the issue? The point is the O's aren't just going to take the Mariners word for it that it's not a serious problem. Even if the Mariners KNOW everything is OK, it's going to take a few extra days while we get that checked out.

I'm not saying there's any truth in this but it does just about add up. I think the theory about the O's releasing this to get out of the firing line is likely too though.

Sounds like a cover-up for Angelos' meddling is underway.

How do you really know he has a problem before his physical? Bring him in and check him out throughly before a doctor would even make this comment.

It also didn't sound like Jones was having any problems playing winter ball in Venezuela. If Jones really had problems, wouldn't the Mariners want him to rest and not play this winter? Would they really allow their top prospect to risk further injury playing winter ball?

Okay, first, give it a break. Enough of the Angelos bashing. This is a new topic! Second, a hip "condition" doesn't mean he is currently injured. In means the hip WILL fail at some point down the road. I could be wrong, but I don't think a few extra games in winter ball will speed up the onset of the actual injury.

What did Jones do to deserve this other than possibly getting traded. I do not think the O's should trade for damaged goods but I also think it should be kept between the clubs out of respect for the player who seems very classy and is now having his image tainted by the press. It is no ones business. Good for the O's for figuring it out if true but still not right to leak it out of respect for the player. You think other times release info like this. Did the Mets when they obviously found something wrong with Torrelba earlier this year and nixed his three year deal. Shame on Bavasi if he tried to pass on damaged goods but again not fair to Mr. Jones.

I see what you mean in terms of medical information being private.

However, I think it obvious with Torrealba that he failed his physical. It would have been obvious with Jones too, if this was true.

I just don't know how many journalists would have sat on this story. I'm sure the Sun knew but was asked to keep it off the record.

It's really an issue with sports in general. Health is almost considered public information....and it probably shouldn't be. I don't know that StF is a 'jerk' in the present culture of the way things are handled.

Perhaps, but if there is ANY question there could be a problem there, you can't trade your Ace for him and the gang of 4.

Exactly. If you're buying a new car, and there are scratches on it, you're not even going to take it out for a test drive. You are gonna want one that is in prestine condition BEFORE taking her out for a spin. Same theory here. If there is a question at all, then move on. You don't trade your ace for somebody that could go down this year with a hip condition and never play again. We've been down that road before. Buy the prestine car...let the lemon sit on the lot.

It's really an issue with sports in general. Health is almost considered public information....and it probably shouldn't be. I don't know that StF is a 'jerk' in the present culture of the way things are handled.

Actually times have changed. If someone says anything about his condition publicly, without his permission, that could lead to his not getting a specific job or opportunity, they could be held responsible and pay damages. Much better to keep things that are private, private.

If this is story has truth to it, IMO there is no way that Adam Jones will be an Oriole.

That could be a good thing. Jones is so highly rated, that degrading him to Balentein could mean upgrading someone like Butler to Truinfel. I'd be happy with Balentein, Truinfel, Tillman, Sherril, and Mikolio. A LOT of potential there. If just one of the 3 big prospects reaches their potential, it's a good deal IMO.

Actually times have changed. If someone says anything about his condition publicly, without his permission, that could lead to his not getting a specific job or opportunity, they could be held responsible and pay damages. Much better to keep things that are private, private.

.......but who do you sue? Charles isn't saying that something is wrong. He is saying that the Orioles have concerns that something is wrong.

.......but who do you sue? Charles isn't saying that something is wrong. He is saying that the Orioles have concerns that something is wrong.

My point is that is why MacPhail, Bavasi et al may not be able to come clean as to the snag in the deal.

O's and M's agree on the terms of the agreement.

O's and M's trade medical reports to be looked over while agreement becomes final.

M's pull Jones and tell him to get ready to fly to Baltimore

O's realize there may be something going on with AJ's hip from medical records.

If they bring him to Baltimore and fail his physical it is a devasting blow to his career.

O's put the deal on hold.

My point is that is why MacPhail, Bavasi et al may not be able to come clean as to the snag in the deal.

Oh, that's what you were saying.

Yeah, I never thought that either team would talk about this publicly. I was just saying that I couldn't see journalists sitting on this story.

Archived