Either the Orioles' scouts or Baseball America's scouts are idiots

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the info. I wish they'd invest more in better scouts. Is it common for scouts to move from team to team? Do teams try to poach scouts from teams that are legendary in that department? I'm just trying to understand why it seems we always end up on the below average scale in this department.

Buy him some whiskey and he'll tell you lots more.

Thanks for the info. I wish they'd invest more in better scouts. Is it common for scouts to move from team to team? Do teams try to poach scouts from teams that are legendary in that department? I'm just trying to understand why it seems we always end up on the below average scale in this department.

I'm definitely not saying Baltimore is below average at scouting. As of a couple years ago Baltimore was viewed as an org scouts didn't like to work for because they weren't given good support, weren't paid well, and the decision makers weren't highly thought of. The Nick Gordon thing is just one guy and shouldn't reflect on the whole department.

I think it was 2 years ago they did a pretty big overhaul in scouts and we took lot of high school guys last season so I figured we would follow that with this group but this season is going the other way so I guess we will have to see which stategy works better. Granted they had a much more difficult position with not top picks and not a lot of draft money.

I'm definitely not saying Baltimore is below average at scouting. As of a couple years ago Baltimore was viewed as an org scouts didn't like to work for because they weren't given good support, weren't paid well, and the decision makers weren't highly thought of. The Nick Gordon thing is just one guy and shouldn't reflect on the whole department.

Oh, okay. Thanks. Makes sense, you can only sign the players you want if you have the money to do so. (Well, until the new draft rules, anyway)

3rd round, pick 90: Brian Gonzalez. BA rank: 386

4th round, pick 121: Pat Connaughton. BA rank: 129

5th round, pick 151: David Hess. BA rank: 267

6th round, pick 181: Tanner Scott. BA rank: 184

7th round, pick 211: Max Schuh. BA rank: 360

8th round, pick 241: Steve Wilkerson. Not ranked in BA's top 500

9th round, pick 271: Austen Anderson. Not ranked in BA's top 500.

Every single pick through round 9 is a reach according to BA's ranking. Connaughton and Scott are only slight reaches. The rest are major reaches.

Maybe someone who understands scouting better than I do can explain why BA's ranking is untrustworthy, and/or can produce another ranking that makes the O's picks look more reasonable.

Which do you think it is?

How are the O's scouts viewed in the scouting world? Are they considered competent, or are they a laughingstock in the industry? I'm sure you've heard things. :)

I'm sure he has heard things, and I'd bet he wouldn't share them on a message board, good or bad.

I think folks get way too tied up in the BA rankings. There is a lot of room for difference of opinion when it comes to evaluating players. It's not like the Orioles' scouting department doesn't know which guys are ranked where by BA. I'd be very interested to see some data on how many guys not in the BA top 500 actually get drafted in the first 500 picks.

I'm sure he has heard things, and I'd bet he wouldn't share them on a message board, good or bad.

I think folks get way too tied up in the BA rankings. There is a lot of room for difference of opinion when it comes to evaluating players. It's not like the Orioles' scouting department doesn't know which guys are ranked where by BA. I'd be very interested to see some data on how many guys not in the BA top 500 actually get drafted in the first 500 picks.

Teams' boards look different in the top 100, let alone once you get down into the top 200/300/400 picks. Most teams don't even rank that deeply, just have specific cross-sections of the talent they looks at (by position, bonus amount, etc.).

Archived