Zrebiec: Other teams in the mix

JCK

Bedard is our most valuable player. If the Yankees were trading Hughes, do you think Prince Hal wouldn't be consulted? If The Bosox were trading Beckett, would Theo have total autonomy? If the LAA were to trade Vlad the owner wouldn't be curious? Get real.:rolleyes:

I see your point, but the Orioles (a bad team) already started their rebuilding mode by dealing Tejada. There is a plan that should have been endorsed by PA. The LAA, BoSox, and LAA are always contenders, not the case with the Orioles.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate angelos, and i hope he wont be the owner of the Os. But neyer is a joke of a writer, anything he writes i take with a grain of salt. The guy has never liked the Os in anything.

I would have to agree with Neyer. There are numerous examples of the Orioles burning their bridges and we haven't finished over .500 in a decade! We have had 5-6 solid GM's during the PA reign and none of them did well here. What was the constant? PA. Those beat writers have a good idea of the rumblings and feeling of other organizations. I don't love Neyer, but Peter Gammons feels the same way, as does most Baltimore based writers.

I hate angelos, and i hope he wont be the owner of the Os. But neyer is a joke of a writer, anything he writes i take with a grain of salt. The guy has never liked the Os in anything.

Not really much to like about the Orioles, unless you're hopelessly trapped being a fan of them.

I see your point, but the Orioles (a bad team) already started their rebuilding mode by dealing Tejada. There is a plan that should have been endorsed by PA. The LAA, BoSox, and LAA are always contenders, not the case with the Orioles.

OK pick a non-contender. The ownwership is always going to be involved in major decisions. The MCab trade was prompted by ownership for crying out loud.

Didn't see anything in this article that was particularly worthwhile. At face value - AM's saying we're back to square one, listening to offers from whomever. At least if he were trying to squeeze more out of the M's, that would imply an ending or closure.

"We're still talking" (or something to that effect). Weren't we doing that months ago?

Bleh.

Didn't see anything in this article that was particularly worthwhile. At face value - AM's saying we're back to square one, listening to offers from whomever. At least if he were trying to squeeze more out of the M's, that would imply an ending or closure.

"We're still talking" (or something to that effect). Weren't we doing that months ago?

Bleh.

Yep. Remember he "batted 1.000" after the GM meetings? I guess you could say he doesn't have very many RBI at this point.

It's the Orioles, nothing goes smooth.

OK pick a non-contender. The ownwership is always going to be involved in major decisions. The MCab trade was prompted by ownership for crying out loud.

It was prompted by ownership due to the signability of the players. The Marlins want a payroll in the $12 Million dollar range. The only way to do that was to trade Willis and Cabrera. I am not saying that it never occurs, but in Baltimore it always occurs. Look at the Jones deal for example. How long does it take Angelos to say yes or no over the phone? Why does he need to come in?

Is this the part where we bash MacPhail or praise him for holding out so long?

I'm confused. Can other members of the horde tell me what the appropriate response is?

Thanks.

This is the part where AM once again fields questions by saying, "Maybe. Everything's cool. PA and I get along fine. I'm having lotsa conversations with various people. Not exactly sure where it's going. I don't really know. Bye."

Remember how amazing it was that Cal went through all that BS about the streak without flipping his lid? Remember how he had to answer the same dang questions a million times? Remember how he had to stay nice and polite and not say anything wrong? (I don't know if you ever asked yourself if you coulda done it, but I did, and I guarantee you I would've strangled somebody.) Well, that's kinda what AM is doing: fielding questions, staying polite and reassuring, and not saying anything wrong. God knows what he's really up to. We sure don't.

So if AM has total control over baseball operations, why does he have to talk to Angelos about everything? Or is this business as usual with Angelos as the owner?

Here's an example: Roger Penske (the racing guy) is one of the best businessmen in the world. He's got a bunch of different companies. He's known for hiring the best people (and knowing how to pick them), and letting them do their jobs. From each one of his various operations, he gets a report every morning. In addition to verbal communication, he gets a 1-page written update about the status of each operation. (Not a 2pp update, but a 1p update.) Every day. There's nothing bad about the owner talking everyday with the guys who run things for him. Not all business owners do it, but there's nothing wrong with it. Many excellent business owners do it. Not saying that PA is a good owner, but the fact that he and AM talk everyday doesn't mean anything.

one thing is for sure - the M's patience is getting extemely thin - the are already reports out of our camp that people are furious this is taking so long. If this isn't figured out within the next day or so - expect us to walk away from it all. there's only so much crap you can put a team through.

Archived