Steve Pearce is...

Al Pardo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
currently tied for 17th in WAR in the American League with about half the at bats compared to the rest of the leaders...not sure how long his great season will last but he looks completely different this year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/sort/WARBR/league/al/year/2014/seasontype/2

The man has been a godsend for this team this season. Simple as that.

Glad to see him have the success he is having. He seems to have worked very hard to achieve it.

I would not go into 2015 with expectations that he should be a starter in the OF regardless of how well he continues. We have been burned by that in the past. I would expect though you could find him 250-350 AB between the OF, 1B and DH next season depending on who stays and goes. I also expect if he continues to produce and then produces at a similar level next year he could get far more than 350 AB.

Hope it continues, just think we should hedge our bets when your dealing with guys who put up numbers that are unexpected that way you have options if they return to norm.

You know Frobby...

I've been thinking about your reply --- and, yes, baseball is special in its uncanny ability to surprise. And in salute to your handle - which I read as "Frank Robinson"... I've been pondering the impact Nelson Cruz has made on the O's this season... it is very much like the impact FRobby had on us in '66, isn't it?

Boog, Brooks, and the boys needed that little extra "superstar" edge to get us over the hump... and I see Adam, Chris, and the boys getting that same bump from Cruz.

I know they are different players (on several levels) - and I know this is some 48 years later ---- but it feels eerily similar. Here's wishing Cruz can be our newest FRobby and bring it all home!

Pearce has been thwacking the ball all season like it owes him money. And if they moved the left field foul line about 10 feet to the left, he'd be hitting about .500.

Can he keep it up? Let's hope so!!!

Pearce is now tied for 14th in the AL this morning. If you doubled Pearce's offensive numbers, they would look something like Trouts except the walks and steals. It will be hard for Pearce to maintain this pace for the next 150 abs, but hopefully he comes close.

Just a side note: In only 29 starts, Caleb Joseph has a WAR of 1.1 and is tied for the lead in dWAR for all MLB catchers with 1.2. His cERA is also 2.92. I am quickly becoming a Caleb Joseph fan.

Pearce is now tied for 14th in the AL this morning. If you doubled Pearce's offensive numbers, they would look something like Trouts except the walks and steals. It will be hard for Pearce to maintain this pace for the next 150 abs, but hopefully he comes close.

Just a side note: In only 29 starts, Caleb Joseph has a WAR of 1.1 and is tied for the lead in dWAR for all MLB catchers with 1.2. His cERA is also 2.92. I am quickly becoming a Caleb Joseph fan.

:thumbsup1: Caleb Joseph :2yay-thumb:

...a really good candidate for AL Player of the Month?

Steve Pearce in June: .361 .432 .667 1.099, 5 HR, 13 RBI. Plus started off July with another HR (just off the glove of Choo right in front of the foul pole--sometimes when you're hot, you're hot!).

Love the fact that he is doing it against righties and lefties, too.

I said in the game thread last night I have been impressed with CJ. With his plate approach I can't understand how he is still under .200. He looks patient at the plate, usually gets good swings, and has some power. Currently leads the league in CS%, and I am very impressed so far with how he calls the game and handles the pitchers. To put up 1.1 WAR while hitting only .170 is outstanding. After .069 in May he put up .214 in June. If he could build on that and maintain .240, he could end up being as valuable as Wieters last year (admittedly an off year for Wieters). Probably worth a thread in itself to discuss CJ and his value to the team...

Caleb has an OPS over .730 if you throw away his stats from May. Obviously I know you can't just ignore those numbers, but for a guy making his major league debut I think that .730 number is probably more indicative of his ability going forward than his overall .576.

What a pleasant surprise he's been. It would be so awesome to have him and Matt on the roster, let's hope it can happen for 2015 (and maybe beyond).

You know Frobby...

I've been thinking about your reply --- and, yes, baseball is special in its uncanny ability to surprise. And in salute to your handle - which I read as "Frank Robinson"... I've been pondering the impact Nelson Cruz has made on the O's this season... it is very much like the impact FRobby had on us in '66, isn't it?

Boog, Brooks, and the boys needed that little extra "superstar" edge to get us over the hump... and I see Adam, Chris, and the boys getting that same bump from Cruz.

I know they are different players (on several levels) - and I know this is some 48 years later ---- but it feels eerily similar. Here's wishing Cruz can be our newest FRobby and bring it all home!

In the winning years, there were the core stars but also Steve Pearce-like contributors like Merv Rettenmund (who Pearce reminds me a bit of, though Merv was better defensively), Curt Blefary, John Loewenstein, Gary Roenicke, Kiko Garcia, etc. Winning is when all the surprises happen in one summer!

Archived