Orioles 6th in SI Power Rankings

MeSoHardy

I think most people outside of Baltimore would put the Red Sox and Rays above us in the division, with the Yankees and us fighting it out for 3rd. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

I don't think 25 Nuggets is taking issue with the idea of people putting the O's at 3rd in the division, which is fair based on the final standings last season. I believe what he's taking issue with is that 3rd place represents the absolute best case scenario for this team. I agree with him in that respect. IF Jimenez gets his CYA contender form back, Gausman plays to his potential with the big club and Davis-Cruz-Jones are bombing (as discussed in the quoted excerpt), then we have a ceiling A LOT higher than 3rd place in the division. Again, this isn't talking about what is likely, probably or a conservative estimate... It's about what the "best case scenario" is for this team.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real power rankings look like this:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/seasontype/2/group/5

And I am pretty sure they are incomplete. Power rankings before the third week of the season don't make any sense. Do I think most people who write them are largely uninformed? Yes. Do I think they are worthless? Hardly. Power rankings are a nice jumping off point for discussion of team skill, but generally across divisions and leagues.

If you want to look power rankings of teams in division look at the standings. That said, if the Orioles go 9-5 in 5 he first two weeks of the season, and the Sox go 7-7, I guarantee most of these worthless power rankings will still have the Sox ahead of the O's.

Psssssst!!! The media, for the most part, are morons.

Please don't allow yourself to get worked up about something as trivial and unimportant as POWER RANKINGS.

It's alright Hank; I'm not worked up at all over those things. Thank goodness we don't have to deal with what NCAA football does with polls that matter. :thumbsup1:

I will say this however. Shouldn't there be less idiocy in the media? I can't imagine that so many of them are really morons. It just seems like so many of them don't know how to put together a proper argument. They're professionals; haven't they taken composition classes?

It's alright Hank; I'm not worked up at all over those things. Thank goodness we don't have to deal with what NCAA football does with polls that matter. :thumbsup1:

I will say this however. Shouldn't there be less idiocy in the media? I can't imagine that so many of them are really morons. It just seems like so many of them don't know how to put together a proper argument. They're professionals; haven't they taken composition classes?

Well, they do watch and report about sports all day and night.

Wouldn't worry about it too much. Regardless of where we're ranked in these things- as far as I've heard/seen (e.g. MLB Radio, MLB Network, talking to fans of other teams, etc.) we're definitely considered one of those "X Factor"/Wildcard teams that could easily put it all-together and make some serious noise. We're kind of a "lurking" threat in the AL- and that probably suits Buck's personality best anyway...

More fun...

Baltimore Orioles

Power Rank: 24

Division Standing: 5

2013 Wins: 85

2013 Losses: 77

Playoff Probability: 19.7%

Biggest Strength: Power (Arms and Bats)

Greatest Weakness: Everything Else

Most Important Pitcher: Ubaldo Jimenez, SP

Most Important Position Player: Manny Machado, 3B

Fantasy Sleeper: Tommy Hunter, RP

Fantasy Dud: Jemile Weeks, 2B

http://www.predictionmachine.com/mlb-2014-preview-analysis

Higher Playoff Probability than the BJ's & yet ranked 5th in the East. Greatest Weakness: Everything Else...might be one of the laziest analysis' I've seen yet. And that's a lot coming from me. Hello, defense much?

More fun...

Baltimore Orioles

Higher Playoff Probability than the BJ's & yet ranked 5th in the East. Greatest Weakness: Everything Else...might be one of the laziest analysis' I've seen yet. And that's a lot coming from me. Hello, defense much?

First thing that jumped out to me.

More fun...

Baltimore Orioles

That's one crazy division if they really have a 5th placed team finish with 85 wins. I wonder if that's ever happened in the division era?

The Red Sox can (and probably will) regress a ton and still be the best team in the division. It won't be as easy for them as it was last year but they are going to be very tough to beat. I don't think its fair to say that they got lucky last year- they had the highest WAR in baseball, way ahead of the Rays.

Lucky in terms of nearly everyone of their offseason signings was not only healthy but performed extremely well.

• 1 month later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>ICYMI, this week's power rankings: 1. Atlanta 2. Milwaukee 3. Oakland 4. SF 5. Texas 6. Dodgers 7. NYY 8. WAS 9. Detroit 10. BAL. Fire away.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">April 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Orioles at 10

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>ICYMI, this week's power rankings: 1. Atlanta 2. Milwaukee 3. Oakland 4. SF 5. Texas 6. Dodgers 7. NYY 8. WAS 9. Detroit 10. BAL. Fire away.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="
">April 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Orioles at 10

That's higher than I would place them without Manny and Crush.

I think most people outside of Baltimore would put the Red Sox and Rays above us in the division, with the Yankees and us fighting it out for 3rd. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

I'm surprised how you look at Tampa and no one offensively sticks out except Longo. But they are so clutch and well coached.

If I could go back in time I would try and sabotage Joe Maddens interview with the Rays haha

Archived