vs. CARDINALS, 8/09

OFFNY

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

The Orioles players look at the schedule.

They say, "One game at a time."

Their Opponent ???

They say, "Irrelevant. If they're on the schedule, we'll beat 'em."

Scoreboard watching ???

They say, "It doesn't matter what other teams do. As long as we win, that's all that will matter in the end."

So you think what counted as a QS in the high of the steroid era is still a good guideline?

The word "quality" irks a lot of people. I get that.But I think as a general rule of thumb, a QS still means you have "kept your team in the game". You have allowed AT MOST 3 runs with at most 3 innings left in regulation for the bullpen. Average bullpen ERAs are around 3.5, but that includes lesser relievers who tend to come in if the starter gets knocked out earlier (ie non-QS's), so the average relievers who will pitch in a quality start probably have an ERA around 3, which means they will likely allow about a run in the final 3 innings.

So basically a quality start means you have put your team in line to allow 4 or fewer runs most of the time. A non quality start means you have probably put your team in line to allow 5 or more, either by allowing more than 3 in the first 6 innings or exposing more relief innings by sub-par relievers.

Yes, in this depressed run environment, there are a lot more teams that score < 4 rpg. But the vast majority at at least in the high 3s, which means if you hold the opponent to 4 you are in the game more often than not. If you give up 5+, all but a few offenses are going to lose more than half the time.

So to me, a QS is still a good guideline that you have very likely put your team in decent position to at the very least be tied after regulation unless you have a very poor offense, while a non-QS means that you will lose more than half the time.

Archived