Who is your MVO? (Update: Cruz wins MVO)

Moose Milligan

Who is the MVO?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the MVO?

I voted other without reading a single post in the thread.

I assumed Jones would be the run away choice in the poll and I was not disappointed in reading the responses that he is in fact running away with the vote.

I think this may well be Adams best season over all and if anything he is more of a leader than ever. I think that is very important.

But we have had Adam play at this level and not quite gotten it done. If he were the true MVO, IMHO, it is more for his attitude and leadership than his continued play...which has been awesome.

This season has been special because the starting pitching has been pretty damn good and the bull pen has been spectacular. THAT is what separates the Orioles from the rest of the pack.

So, for me, the MVO, has to be Buck and DD.

If I had told any of you that Adam would have the season he is having, but added that Tommy Hunter would fail as closer, that JJ would not hit homers and spend time on DL, that Ubaldo would disappoint and frustrate, that Lough would be below expectations, that Chris Davis would be on the DL and be batting below .190 at the end of August....for the season, not the month and that Manny would have surgery on his OTHER knee and be lost for the season...well, I am pretty sure that most of us would have moved on to football by this weekend.

What the Orioles have done this year is very impressive. Adam Jones the leader certainly will win the MVO and he should.

But the job that Buck and DD have done would get my vote.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love Jones... and have no problem with him being #1.

But that said, the MVO, imho, is Nelson Cruz. He set the pace, he set the bar, his attitude has carried us - even when he cooled off. He's the leader of swag.

I'm reminded of the 66' Orioles. We already had Brooks and Boog (our version of Adam and Crush) --- but we needed to import in a (mid-30s year old) cold-blooded, established killer like Frank Robinson to finish the deal. I see Nelson Cruz filling that FRobby-type role.

When we added Frank to Brooks, Boog, et al - we went to lethal... and when this team added Cruz to Adam, Davis, et al - we've also gone to a whole new level.

Now, everything considered, Cruz is NOT FRobby, I understand that --- but he IS similar... and his impact on THIS team reminds me of that.

And THAT is why Cruz is my MVO.

I feverishly await the playoffs to see the whole "Cruz effect". That will make or break the completeness of my theory. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived